Third Party Press

"Correct" Cleaning Rod?

tsmgguy

I have a nice matching byf 42 98K, mid "l" block, which is likely missing its original 12.5" cleaning rod. The one on the gun has a different serial number. I understand that cleaning rods were not serial numbered at this stage of production. Anyway, original rods are available, and I'd like to buy the right one. Which rod is correct? Serial numbered or not? "k" or "i" marked? No markings? Thanks much!

Attachments

• byf4214.jpg
    byf4214.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 44
bcd IMHO

I've got untouched original bringbacks with mismatched rods, early rods, k and I marked rods and no rods. If you look closely at period pics of combat troops you'll see a surprising absence of rods. The factory original for most is unmarked after 1941 when they quit last two digit serials on them. The codes ones would mainly go to makers using many subcontracted parts and MO was not. However if it is a combat used rifle it could be "correct" without a rod, but keep a Rg.34 around it.

I'm really pleased to have found the "i" marked rod. A ce 43 98K in my collection has one identical to it.

Now to find a good home for the "73" marked original rod it replaces. Maybe we need a sticky here for wayward serial numbered rods and requests for specific serial numbers, as we have for bolts and bayonets.

If a rifle comes out the woodwork and the rod is the same condition and looks like it has been with the rifle I leave it be TSMG. Those things got swapped around in cleaning, lost, etc. I'm all about matching and correct but I'd rather have the rod it was picked up with than a "matching" on paired with it.

Right, the problem is a mismatch in condition between the rod and the rifle, just enough to get me to consider replacing the rod while originals are available.

an 'i' marked rod would be appropriate for a bcd 43/bcd 4.

I have a bringback bcd 4 no letter block that still has its original 'i' marked rod.

Im with ham on this one, id rather keep the rod that came with the rifle than try to match it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back