Third Party Press

bnz4 without serifs?

Absolut

I‘ve been offered a bnz4 coded rifle, but had never before seen the small font without serifs, also not in the picture reference here. Anyone an idea on this? Could this be a very nice handstamp?

Attachments

• CE1814F0-01C4-45CB-BE2C-3F9B14FBCD44.jpeg
    CE1814F0-01C4-45CB-BE2C-3F9B14FBCD44.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 168
It sure looks like a Astrawerke roll stamp with narrow bnz and the same 4 used for bcd 4 production. Not common at all Id say. Most are bcd with crude hand stamped bnz added.

Thanks, very interesting. I've never seen an Astrawerke roll stamped BNZ 4 rifle before.

They are not common. The ones I have seen have e/77 Radom inspections on the side of the receiver as well. Do you have photos of the serial and right receiver? The one I have photos of is in the "l" block.

Not more that I can help with at the moment ... but already confirmed I would be buying it. So I can post more pics later this week!

Not more that I can help with at the moment ... but already confirmed I would be buying it. So I can post more pics later this week!

Awesome, you're on a roll! There are also Astrawerke marked bnz43 receivers, you see them on SSZZA4 rifles and standard bnz43 Army contract rifles.

Well, for being on a roll it would had needed to not be professionally (by Bubba) turned into a hunting rifle :googlie . Picked it up today, attached some pictures of the „beauty“, but only one showing the full rifle to make you K98k collectors not cry too much. It was cheap, so I nevertheless bought it. Interestingly a rather early rifle, being in the d block. And of course the receiver has the Astrawerke “1“ on the right side. Oh, and if someone wants to know, bolt is mismatching and magazine guard is non-seralized 135 proofed stamped with a 37 proofed non-serialized milled floorplate.

Attachments

• 4D44901B-F9B9-40F0-8E0C-C24DA363A8A2.jpeg
    4D44901B-F9B9-40F0-8E0C-C24DA363A8A2.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 988BBD6D-F095-40A8-8335-6F6F4B5B6294.jpg
    988BBD6D-F095-40A8-8335-6F6F4B5B6294.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 8CD286B1-F4A9-4CF7-8043-73F81607EEEB.jpg
    8CD286B1-F4A9-4CF7-8043-73F81607EEEB.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 6D9E8A0B-A4B5-4AEF-A567-68BE68FB77BC.jpeg
    6D9E8A0B-A4B5-4AEF-A567-68BE68FB77BC.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 21B6C68A-E9C5-4A6E-B51E-1FA09CC7D6B4.jpg
    21B6C68A-E9C5-4A6E-B51E-1FA09CC7D6B4.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 60
..The ones I have seen have e/77 Radom inspections on the side of the receiver as well.

Spot on as usual sir! An interesting piece for sure despite Bubba's best intentions. It seems like Steyr was in perpetual turmoil at least as far as rifle production.

Even Bubba'd it's at least interesting from a Steyr collectors point of view. It puzzles me why Astrawerke would send receivers to Radom instead of direct to Steyr.

A few reasons I could come up with is that Radom was the sole point of origin for receivers, so any that Steyr used would need to be inspected there - perhaps they did not have the proper inspectors at Steyr. OR, after the bombing they had no way to receive them, so they went to Radom first. Either way, it's bizarre to me to see e/77 inspections on them. I guess it's about the same distance from Astrawerke to Radom or Steyr, but still....

Even Bubba'd it's at least interesting from a Steyr collectors point of view. It puzzles me why Astrawerke would send receivers to Radom instead of direct to Steyr.

A few reasons I could come up with is that Radom was the sole point of origin for receivers, so any that Steyr used would need to be inspected there - perhaps they did not have the proper inspectors at Steyr. OR, after the bombing they had no way to receive them, so they went to Radom first. Either way, it's bizarre to me to see e/77 inspections on them. I guess it's about the same distance from Astrawerke to Radom or Steyr, but still....

Very interesting questions and suppositions. I noted the “avk” Ruhrstahl barrel on this, and if the numbers I have are correct Gustloff went from a long run of “ce” Sauer supplies barrels to Ruhrstahl supplies barrels in around November or December 1944. (Some data is from your KM III). I have bcd4 18993 with worn firing proof as “avk” lot code “Br” and immediately before that bcd4 18913 with Sauer “ce” barrel, lot code d? . (Second letter unknown) and 15706 with Sauer lot code “dq” (I own this rifle.) I have one Chemnitz barrel (FN) on bcd4 21191 and then a solid run of “avk” barrels with “Bg” and “Bw” lot codes. These are all worn firing proof no letter code bcd4 rifles in this discussion. So, that kind of fixes bcd4 barrel changeover from Sauer to Ruhrstahl.

SO this could put the current bnz4 (bcd) at right around this time in bcd production as this rifle’s lot code is “Av”. This receiver/barrel combo then is identifiable in terms of concurrent Gustloff bcd4 production.

To me, this makes the WaA77’s even more confusing. The barrel has what could be an asterisk rejection mark, perhaps it was rejected at Gustloff and sent to Steyr? To Radom?? Probably NOT Radom IF the supposition of November or December 1944 is true!! An avk lot Av barrel barrel should be after Radom stopped supplying K98 parts I would think. I would love to see the other parts on this gun!! If that is the original stock I’d love to know if it has a typical date code under the butt plate as on Gustloff rifles! OP thank you for sharing it, it is a great gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addendum: also I have bcd4 19648 with an “avk” barrel, lot unknown. That adds one more data point. :)

This rifle was assembled in April-June of 1944, we know because of the suffix and serial on the barrel. Steyr used a lot of mixed barrels from everywhere after the bombing, so trying to place it in conjunction with Gustloff production is not useful really as it wasn’t normal supply. And, your 18000 range bcd was late 44 assembly. His rifle has nothing to do with Gustloff really.

This rifle was assembled in April-June of 1944, we know because of the suffix and serial on the barrel. Steyr used a lot of mixed barrels from everywhere after the bombing, so trying to place it in conjunction with Gustloff production is not useful really as it wasn’t normal supply. And, your 18000 range bcd was late 44 assembly. His rifle has nothing to do with Gustloff really.

I see! What do you think of the WaA77 on the receiver, did this actually get accepted or inspected at Radom then? Was the barrel inspected at Ruhrstahl and rejected?

Last edited:

I was thinking that perhaps both receiver and barrel were diverted to Steyr to make up for their loss of Radom supplied barrels and that that would explain an Astrawerke receiver mates to an early Ruhrstahl barrel with clearly Gustloff style “4” and letters.

These items (bbl and rec) would have been acquired through the army and not from Gustloff. Gustloff didn’t have possession of either barrel or receiver, they came from Astrawerke and Ruhrstahl.

Military Rifle Journal
Back