Third Party Press

Inherited Mauser. Can anyone help ID and est Value?

The replaces bolt is period done by Spandau, they have a unique way of numbering bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think it was just stored in the wooden crate it's in, although i don't know its full history. It was in its current condition when we acquired it.

The bayonets on the other hand, are very well cared for. They were my grandfather's primary interest..... PM me if you are looking for something specific. In the meantime i will work on making a list to post in the bayo section.

It's still got good interest as it's in the crate, presumably which the weapon came back in, and it appears to be a proper Su rework. What Farb said (obviously) re the bolt numbering.

I think its a interesting rifle a classic combat war horse that was rebuilt once in its lifetime. Shame really about the bluing but you have some history with it.

I have seen similar discoloring on firearms that have had been "cleaned" with the wrong solvent that ate away at the blueing.

And I have seen similar discoloration on firearms that had been exposed to fire / flame. (or excessive heat)

That KS98 sawback bayonet is nice probably WW1 vintage or Weimer 3rd reich didn't produce them except firemans pieces doesn't have the classic three handle rivets commonly accociated with WW1 but not all did sawbacks are much sought after. timothy

Nice piece. Thank you for sharing. I have several Japanese rifles still in their crate, but never ran across a K98k still in one. Any chance of getting some close ups of the addresses on the box? I like to save these type of photos for reference.

A closer photo of the APO in the return address line might also help a bit. There's a nice list from the time period available online that lists all the various locations for a particular APO. Might help confirm the Italy story.

Last edited:
Alright guys here are some pics of the crate as requested.

Attachments

• IMG_8560.jpg
    IMG_8560.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8561.jpg
    IMG_8561.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8562.jpg
    IMG_8562.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8563.jpg
    IMG_8563.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8564.jpg
    IMG_8564.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 94
Awesome, another Buffalo Boy....Man, a lot of stuff went to Buffalo...that address is literally less than a quarter mile from my first house in Buffalo, in South Buffalo...

From a listing published by the Adjutant General Office in 1949 it certainly confirms Italy. APO 782.PNG

Awesome, another Buffalo Boy....Man, a lot of stuff went to Buffalo...that address is literally less than a quarter mile from my first house in Buffalo, in South Buffalo...

Awesome. The vet, his son, my grandpa and me are all originally from Buffalo. I spoke to his son on the phone last night and confirmed that those are the only hands its ever been in since coming back.

Awesome. The vet, his son, my grandpa and me are all originally from Buffalo. I spoke to his son on the phone last night and confirmed that those are the only hands its ever been in since coming back.

Wow, small world, I lived most of my life in Buffalo, the first house I bought was on Sage, like I said 1/4 mile or less from Lilac....loved South Buffalo, but when my son came along, Buffalo schools are REALLY bad, so we moved to Lancaster....moved to Texas 2 1/2 years ago....a lot of things I do not miss about NY, but I did love living in Buffalo....its a great place as far as that goes.

Clearing Naples harbor of wrecks took longer than it did at Livorno, so Livorno (Leghorn) was most likely where shipment originated. The large "Livorno Port of Embarkation" building signs were still prominent when I was there in 1980. Conditionwise, this Mauser is in better condition than what I was offered there locally.

Very nice. The APO list posted above is the one I referenced earlier. I too am from the Buffalo area. I purchased this Pacific crate set back last February at a local show.

Attachments

• IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 70
I have a simlar 1936 rifle displaying weimar eagles on receiver and nazi eagles on barrel. The barrel was replaced by the German army in the 40's. Also a non import and non russian capture. Cool history in those rifles.

Military Rifle Journal
Back