Third Party Press

A Canadian Captured Gew 98 from 'Over the Top' Danzig 1915 w/ Night Sights

Steve87

Big Sexy Steve (not gay)
Hi,

Here is a captured Danzig 1915 Gew98 with night sights from a young Canadian soldier named Harry. I know where the rest of his items and medals are but this is what I've been able to acquire so far. Included with the rifle is a letter he sent home with his 'box of trinkets'. He describes being green on job and going over the top for the first time, when the battle was over he did a bit of souvenir hunting including these items. Also included is a small grenade he captured and the prayer books he carried with him overseas, a gift from his mother. In the letter he mentions how the paper it's written on is from a dead German soldier, and so is the pencil he used to write it. I hope you will enjoy this grouping that is without question a true untouched combat veteran that came from Harry's family threw another collector.

Regards,
-Steve

Attachments

• HAB_1586.jpg
    HAB_1586.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1633.JPG.jpg
    IMG_1633.JPG.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 148
  • HAB_1562.jpg
    HAB_1562.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 135
  • HAB_1563.jpg
    HAB_1563.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 142
  • HAB_1566.jpg
    HAB_1566.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 175
  • HAB_1567.jpg
    HAB_1567.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 190
  • HAB_1574.jpg
    HAB_1574.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 208
  • HAB_1576.jpg
    HAB_1576.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 183
  • HAB_1577.jpg
    HAB_1577.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 179
  • HAB_1578.jpg
    HAB_1578.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 139
  • HAB_1582.jpg
    HAB_1582.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 148
  • HAB_1560.jpg
    HAB_1560.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 141
A simply awesome rifle Steve glad to see you're starting to collect Imperial now! Very very nice and glad to see the history with it.

Great rifle and accompanying items! Fine story as well. Hopefully you'll find out more details regarding his service. Thanks for sharing this.

I thought it was interesting to note that the quick detach sling swivel has acceptance marks from the Brazilian 1908 contract DWM/Mauser did.

Fantastic rifle, thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys! But, ooops, mods can you move this to the correct IMPERIAL forum please?

-Steve

Hi,

Here is a captured Danzig 1915 Gew98 with night sights from a young Canadian soldier named Harry. I know where the rest of his items and medals are but this is what I've been able to acquire so far. Included with the rifle is a letter he sent home with his 'box of trinkets'. He describes being green on job and going over the top for the first time, when the battle was over he did a bit of souvenir hunting including these items. Also included is a small grenade he captured and the prayer books he carried with him overseas, a gift from his mother. In the letter he mentions how the paper it's written on is from a dead German soldier, and so is the pencil he used to write it. I hope you will enjoy this grouping that is without question a true untouched combat veteran that came from Harry's family threw another collector.

Regards,
-Steve

Just noticed looks like the left side of the stock has some shrapnel damaged by the receiver. Little tiny holes in the stock.

Steve if you need a muzzle lid for this one let me know. I may have a spare for you.

Astonishing rifle! This is an extremely fine condition rifle, it is extremely rare for a rifle in this condition to surface these days... a lot of 1915's were made, but most found their way to the front and a lot of hard service. They almost never look this nice or have all their factory correct parts.... typically the best you can hope for is a really nice bolt mismatcher.

The paper work is obviously a plus, but the rifle looks extraordinary by itself. Have you pictures of the wrist acceptance and lower buttstock? These areas are typically more stable in pattern, the RS varies in acceptance is far less useful to trends work.

Either way, this could easily be a centerpiece of a Imperial rifle collection or a broader type collection. These rarely come nicer and more original. That stock is in amazing condition! (BTW, I wouldn't touch anything on this rifle, such a rifle would be diminished by any cleaning!)

What Loewe said. It really is a beauty. Pic sticky for ref. Can you post any further detail pics Steve?

Thanks guys,

One thing I forgot to mention, the sling is not original to the rifle. It's something that I was given for it by another collector. It did not have a sling originally. The rest is 100% original to the group, perhaps I should have taken the sling off for the photos.

I can ad more photos, it is all matching and untouched as far as I can tell. I don't think it has even been cleaned either. I was hoping to ad a bit more about the soldier later as well, maybe eventually I'll get the rest of his stuff and medals.

Cheers,
-Steve

A real screamer, 1915 Dated examples across all the makers are difficult to find in this condition! I wish it was mine!

Military Rifle Journal
Back