Third Party Press

1944 WWII GERMAN ZB M98 MAUSER RIFLE, DOU. My first 98.

KneverKnew

I attended a local auction recently and acquired my first K98, a 1944 German ZB M98 Mauser DOU.
I also got a couple of other nice looking rifles, (and maybe not so nice looking) that I couldn't turn down.
Keep an eye out for my seperate posts on these other rifles. They include a 1918 Prussian G98, a

Please take a look at pictures below and let me know if I did a good job, or not. Also, any suggestions as to what the going value might be would be appreciated.

These are pictures and description provided by auction company. I don't have the rifle in hand just yet. Maybe tomorrow.

1944 WWII GERMAN ZB M98 MAUSER RIFLE, DOU

All serial numbers match except bolt. No import marks. Waffenamt WA-A80 stamped on receiver.
Model: 1898
Caliber / Gauge: 7.92X57mm
Barrel Length: 24.5"
Condition: Very good. Some surface wear.

1944 German ZB M98 Mauser DOU

German ZB M98-1.jpg

German ZB M98-2.jpg

German ZB M98-3.jpg

German ZB M98-5.jpg

German ZB M98-6.jpg

German ZB M98-9.jpg

German ZB M98-10.jpg

German ZB M98-11.jpg

Wrong section for this post. Sorry

I just realized I posted my WWII DOU in the wrong section. Can someone please move it to the right area and delete from this one? Thanks.

First, lets use the proper nomenclature....

It is not a ZB M98...that sounds like gibberish made up by an auctioneer who doesn't know anything...

It is a Kar 98k, or 98k....

Words mean stuff and all...

ZB was no longer in use while under German occupation, dou was Waffenfabrik Brunn II...no longer ZB.

Last edited:

It is not a ZB M98...that sounds like gibberish made up by an auctioneer who doesn't know anything...

ZB was no longer in use while under German occupation, dou was Waffenfabrik Brunn II...no longer ZB.

That’s just the description given by auction house. I have found several items from this current auction that I acquired that they had missed labeled with the wrong name. Doesn't surprise me. That's why I come to this forum to get educated on the correct information. I appreciate all the knowledge here.

Stock has been lightly sanded (probably) and shellacked. Rifle looks ok but looks to be bolt mm. It really isn’t bad for a first k98!

I think you did fine and congrats! I use my two bolt mm rifles as my display and shooters. Wouldn't get rid of them. If you got it for under $900 I don't think you could have made a mistake. :happy0180:

Shellac would be much glossier unless hit with pumice or 0000 wool but it's hard to get an even sheen using very fine abrasives. To me it has the BLO look about it. Some debate at that other site as to whether the stock is a repro. It doesn't look 74 years old.

Look at the recoil lug and take down disc.
Recoil lug looks the part of an original. The take down disc shows some age but had been aggressively cleaned. Same with buttplate, you can see it’s been wooled or even sanded. You can get a stock to look like this with a light sanding and some type of stain etc. Maybe it isn’t shellack, but stain is stain in my
Book. I mainly meant something is on it.

It’s a fine first 98k though.

The bulk of the metal minus the buttplate and takedown disc look really good. Whatever they did to the stock, I'm not a fan. IMO those issues could be much improved with some delicate techniques. I think you did fine for a first rifle.

Nice first rifle! Very few can start off with an all-matching as captured rifle, and so your gun is great as it’s just a bolt mismatch, and there are MUCH worse out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beats my last estate auction gibberish. "Folks what we got here is one of them Notzi Mouser rifles in 30-06 with lots of them swa-stickers. Its bolt action and its nice, please open this bid at $100."

Nice first rifle! Very few can start off with an all-matching as captured rifle, and so your gun is great as it’s just a bolt mismatch, and there are MUCH worse out there!

Thank you. I'm feeling pretty happy with it. Still need to get it to the range.

The bulk of the metal minus the buttplate and takedown disc look really good. Whatever they did to the stock, I'm not a fan. IMO those issues could be much improved with some delicate techniques. I think you did fine for a first rifle.

I really appreciate ALL the encouraging words about this rifle, as it was really my PRIMARY search item for the auction I attended, even if I got overcome with the "auction fever."
I also think the stock looks a bit too "good" for the rest of the rifle. I just wished I could know for sure if it is a lightly sanded and stained original, or just a reproduction that has been forced matched.

As far as making the stock/ buttplate/ takedown disc "improved with some delicate techniques," could you elaborate, or point me to where I can find that information? If the look of the stock can be improved, I'm game to try.

I really appreciate ALL the encouraging words about this rifle, as it was really my PRIMARY search item for the auction I attended, even if I got overcome with the "auction fever."
I also think the stock looks a bit too "good" for the rest of the rifle. I just wished I could know for sure if it is a lightly sanded and stained original, or just a reproduction that has been forced matched.

As far as making the stock/ buttplate/ takedown disc "improved with some delicate techniques," could you elaborate, or point me to where I can find that information? If the look of the stock can be improved, I'm game to try.

One thing you could do is (carefully!!) disassemble the rifle to examine the internal surfaces of the wood parts, it is possible to know or at least make an educated guess as to the originality of the stock based on internal markings.

Beats my last estate auction gibberish. "Folks what we got here is one of them Notzi Mouser rifles in 30-06 with lots of them swa-stickers. Its bolt action and its nice, please open this bid at $100."

Sounds like Big Ben was running it!

:laugh:

One thing you could do is (carefully!!) disassemble the rifle to examine the internal surfaces of the wood parts, it is possible to know or at least make an educated guess as to the originality of the stock based on internal markings.

The stock and hand guard both have matching serial numbers stamped into them. There are no other markings that I can tell, other than a few marks in the sling cut out in the stock.
_KiuVZi3-PgY_H2GN1TMSXWpnebXoMNQiUe80b0sPfj3rEPmbjY86jupyytcyJAtySWQkMV4--49NOufYAZyXokL41ZrFNh36vvhMXtB667xQTUreJelGgSf_ZyAthln7N5ly46WCjhyGpm0s42uuYUgXoYWZm3LdWR4Nd9shQAsQ-FrRXhFYgbVZO01Bdh8rUdbcUDoSa7f-V4iWSlFSXnhf4O0iswEFtVPV5UKggi01CnskaZglVmzPUU5eGKedGvOxH95S0yomBLCh8AEaF5bGyWaPeSFxFe63RulCXV6r1QOxnHzBMjdNoAWOE7j5AZluNSO8E4AZmd8TXRFFwtA-EVWc97CvUfDE4aihbyoydD3L1GXn2juDj_tfOR92s2aGsm0fDJuM-xT_HPCKYAdmDQd2qG6UyX3E598goneZSkCOaZV6kdlQvFgq55BwGsNj8nRlxjplffK6O1xr7QV4-HIRyuQ9WeLu9b0_pbpeu8GNd3uZQ2mqaZ8aCwvX4uWGQq6dnJYQZ1zSt3qUSqg4US6makmF0wM2eNbbVX8hnrC0N7M7SDnv_2c9IehIiBz7doOIdUD98jbG-GQtxLhTDFTMs6WeLiJCX8=w1226-h919-no

RBQXp768Z_mQ_OgqR1cOnEbhizIqWh47jbJf8jxVwcYUyed6PZ48kwQqLGuFQMYYCmknlvaCt0s7JnjRuSkqp3Z6aXpIEhS-eArO5e6zB2u2NTYkI88eXLHwr_sAtUh02Lvy72oN7Rs7HksdE1SEQbYMDhryQ42E-Ib3QSePtRXvpQyG7r0sm_gAuBVwKwFJNBAtwgcHJeoHznNURU0kpa2x1ALUzVO6Ee7Bx7i0LW2dKPciWcDsV52AYzuKacrCCJGxg7rFcNTONihqiWuSejSsRyzPIVyWnMm0ack4VsgJQKMdOma1XbUwDrAXxpWcP9xJHZ8PtydMJPMv0Ht6pKRUy6rTfIuf7-fQBPTt4apodOujqJEm76F3D-FhZ6hj9GOeiMLNLzdsu1slfbe-PL2XbZ6bGY0L9jhOXltvFRW1aQcqXQBEq-U1WDaQO3fjzEK_cZlULRBjH7DtDwtjPz-fn2OacRGwpqu9mZ_CcqvanAQO2MtmMA6fqbDlf3wd7UvnepDsJzUcrph8o8XHOXtYhGfnQpqNdW4or8jKNEX6URLXHxmRNIOjD0fCNNVMnovQ_knCVIRwSYL_HknX5uo_3PUDEdKJbyk5OTg=w1226-h919-no

qBeqslq4zHLlJf7PcW41vN-SE8h4VieN7Z3UbuB6WDpOWjzqEd9JX8Q-3w3gHQx9EGC0hA0wfqInwMeVPGOfCifh9IT3lo13QNojWNrcB7juYwTqbhqmg_2hFgwDMVJ6rpJXCeCQNtUUlBMpASTXPADgmCL0OBE4xIruMjGSFiccdPQyA_t60Ff2uYgmcVuVcC9PprI-IViEfYHI9dQC3KZiqWoMHAAEHYNVbqF2gVuS1Yr27PfLbClHU4xqQchk6dOC5iz9Pnf_hfkxRaFoD2kEW4NMCHx4J0Sb54XvyVD0BOgkZ1N8JesbKVRD_ENrfEpIVzLiXshCsHUVSul_8a0dstz8EtkiaSNr30M9NegMwMpNQtjApdmWnL76TnYWvQjB_O950YiGmiAytNiS5yXlt32PxLm3tHYqakbmhbQNWVqZwwi3VpiH-n1m5gVCp9zJv9eyjWtZnhiP3bu4xTidSRbqLO8_W24hbhA42xQTjpkyI1CeVvl4eTcC0mbNflcfYJXR-9q11dZKu9GzNE0O4pE8SbaTLWv6XZdr-lj9Hdphi_uTQtYcAUay3sjYbG3Ob9_HlqANU5l_Q8sDy7MCpzQrD_s9uxjbskM=w1226-h919-no

Some are saying it's a repro that has been stamped to look original. Others are saying it's original but been sanded and refinished. I guess there is no telling, unless someone has something else to share????

I think Mr. Farb settled it over at GBs. His opinion works for me.

I Like the door buster butt plate on it. :laugh:

The stock is original. A tell tale sign of a dou stock is a lack of markings externally and the B in the slingwell

I think Mr. Farb settled it over at GBs. His opinion works for me.

I Like the door buster butt plate on it. :laugh:

I meant to ask someone about that. Is this buttplate correct/ original to this date DOU rifle? Up 'til now I've only seed buttplates with the trap doors. Never just a plain flat one like this. I agree it looks as if someone got carried away cleaning it up. Maybe I need to drag it through the mud a few days to give it some "patina?" Ha!

Military Rifle Journal
Back