Third Party Press

Useful excerpts about scoped rifles and snipers

Adjust the reticle of the K98k – Zf. 41 & Armorer tools

Here is the manual to adjust the reticle of the K98k – Zf. 41 and the introduction of the required armorer tools. Keep in mind, the Waffenmeister had to adjust the scope and not the individual soldier.

General Army Communications published by the Army High Command - Berlin, September 8, 1941

869. Adjust the reticle of the Karabiner 98 k – Zf. 41 (Scoped Rifle).

The adjust of the reticle of the Karabiner 98k – Zf.41 (Scoped Rifle) has to happen as follows:

After 5 shots at 100 m distance, the middle point of impact must be marked. The weapon is fixed with the fixing-frame according to H. Dv 477 I Fig. 8 or makeshift with the help of a vise and aligned so that the reticle touches the aiming point.

In order to allow a precise adjustment, it is advisable to reduce the distance to 50 m. It should be noted that the distance - aiming point – point of impact may only be corrected by 50%.

A.d.j.u.s.t...o.f...t.h.e...r.e.t.i.c.l.e

Remove front and rear rain cover.

Loosen the retaining screw for the cover tube of the lens.

Threaded ring - with cross-cut and right-hand thread - release until it stops.

Screw in the retaining screw until the cover tube of the lens turns over the screw head. Turn the cover tube of the lens until the adjustment slots in the lens main tube are exposed.

Attach the magnifying-lens-attachment, loosen the clamping screw, move the view until the target picture appears sharp. Tighten the clamping screw.

Insert the adjustment-mandrels into the holes that have become free and rotate the eccentrics of the objective lens so that the reticle touch the marked middle point of impact. By this correction, the reticle has been adjusted by as much as
is necessary to get a center hold point of impact.

Remove the adjustment-mandrels, turn back the cover tube of the lens until the retaining screw in the hole becomes visible.
Unscrew the retaining screw until the surface of the screw head is above the cover tube of the lens. Tighten the tightening ring, then tighten the retaining screw. Remove magnifying-lens-attachment. Install front and rear rain cover.
Check accuracy with some shots.

The set armorer tools for Karabiner 98k – Zf.41 (Scoped Rifle), consisting of

1 Magnifying-lens-attachment,

1 Adjustment wrench,

2 Adjustment-mandrels,

is carried in the “Großer Waffenmeisterwerkzeugkasten für Maschinengewehre und Handwaffen” (Large armorer tool kit for machine guns and hand weapons).

The annex J 3401 to the annex-volume get added.

O.K.H. (Ch H Rüst u. BdE), August 15, 1941
---- 7433/41 ---- AHA/In 2 (VII).

086 a.jpg 086 b.jpg

Karabiner 98/40 with 1.5x scope - SS Division Wiking field report 1941

Here is a document which is very interesting in several areas.

SS Division Wiking I a Tgb.Nr.339/41 geh. - Div.Gef.Stand, December 20, 1941

SS Division Wiking
I a
Tgb.Nr.339/41 geh.

Div.Gef.Stand, December 20, 1941

S E C R E T !

Subject : Field report about eastern campaign.
Annex : -6-

To

XIV. Pz. Korps I a

I didn't translate this and the following paragraphs

36. ) Russian Equipment. Which Russian devices (weapons, vehicles or motor vehicles) are to be
described as particularly good and superior to the corresponding German device?

1. ) From the Russian weapons have proved to be good:

I didn't translate this

c ) The Russian carbine with scope is superior in rate of fire and accuracy to the German carbine. The Russian carbine has the big disadvantage of being very sensitive to dirt.

Automatic carbines after the blowback principle, with complete sealing, removable barrel (plug thread), Russian-style scope, which has proven to be excellent and better than that in the Division in 600 exemplar existing German scope, is a necessity of modern war. Automatic carbines, firing only with tracer rounds, are also ammunition saving, because the shooter is able to improve a shot without break.

A rifle support mounted under the center of the barrel has proven very popular with the scoped rifles introduced in the Division, as they ensure a calm shot.

According to the experience made here, the Karabiner 98/40 with scope (1,5x magnification) which are coming into introduction in the army at the moment, are useless because the sniper (at the division 20 per rifle company) has to open the fire at 600 m and can only hit the target with 4x magnification.

Wiking.jpg

Vielen Dank Wolfgang!

A rifle support mounted under the center of the barrel has proven very popular with the scoped rifles introduced in the Division, as they ensure a calm shot.

I believe there are pic's of these rifles which have been posted in the sniper forum of this site. In addition, these "support mounts" have been discussed within those treads. Yet, when you speak on a SS division (it's my understanding they were larger than regular Army division) wide item, your speaking about a lot of rifles.

I think you are talking about the rifles with monopods, I don’t think that would qualify as under the barrel myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO this is what their referring too . Pic attached shows monopod. Also this pic is from the correct time period mentioned .

Attachments

• hj12_11.jpg
    hj12_11.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 60
Task of the snipers - Army High Command March 1942

Here are some excerpts of "Advice for the training of the infantry on the basis of the experiences of the eastern campaign" by Army High Command from March 1942.

Oberkommando des Heeres Gen.St.d.H./ Gen.d.Inf. Nr. 500 / 42 geh. - H.Qu. O.K.H. , March 1, 1942

Oberkommando des Heeres
Gen.St.d.H./ Gen.d.Inf.
Nr. 500 / 42 geh.

H.Qu. O.K.H. , March 1, 1942

SECRET !

Advice
for the training of the infantry
on the basis of the experiences of the eastern campaign

C . The firefight

8.) Equipping the best shooters in a squad with scoped rifles and semi-automatic rifles allows their use as snipers. The use of snipers to shoot enemy leaders, observers, and machinegunners down to medium range is always successful.

E . Defense

21.) The rifle shooters are to be trained to participate in the firefight. Their fire directs the squad leader against recognized targets.
The snipers with scoped rifles and semi-automatic rifles has the task of destroying particularly dangerous enemies such as machine guns, enemy leaders or observers.

K . Battle in the forest

38.) Wild shooting of individual rifle shooters or machine guns only worries the troop. Especially in the forest warfare, strong fire discipline is important and the NCO's are to be educated, that they don't open their fire with every noise or the approach of reconnaissance patrol. It has been proven that well-aimed single shots with rifle, scoped rifle and semi-automatic rifles are the most effective.

Field Report 1942.jpg

Monopod

Does anyone actually think that monopod would be useful or liked by a sniper? If it was, wouldn’t it have turned up on other examples? Further, would you use such a contraption in your current shooter/sniper? Why or why not? Why is there nothing similar used today? Bipods, yes. Monopods, no. I personally think this is a case of hopeful optimism, trying to connect a photo with a document as "proof".

Personally I wouldn't use a monopod, for me it wouldn't be stable enough to make aimed shoots and in the present time we have better solutions. If I would use a monopod, then just on the stock in the rear and in front I would use a bipod.

But maybe we shouldn't look at it too much from today's point of view, but from the point of view of 1941. At that time the snipers were equated with hunters and the opponents were prey. Still in December 1944, Friedrich Volckamer von Kirchensittenbach, the Commanding General of L.A.K. call it like that. At that time the hunters used very often the Zielstock (aiming-stick) and even in the present time some hunters still use it. Here is a example: Link

I don't know if the monopod of the picture is identical to the one of the document, but I can imagine it looked like that or similar. It wasn't officially introduced, certainly it's an makeshift solution from the troop. I search already for about one hour, but I can't find the document where they mention makeshift solutions at weapons through the troops. In the order was written makeshift solutions are prohibited etc.

Today I saw Dave's picture the first time and now I was searching online for some background info. I could find the following information about the picture:
"A sniper unit of the Wiking Division gets into position in the Caucasus 1942. Photos: SS-Kriegsberichter (war correspondent) Willy Altstadt".

If the description is correct, then it would fit perfectly with the document.

All this info on the ZF-41 has me wanting to get one of the current repro scopes and try again. I say again because I got one with repro mount a few years back. Tried it on two RC 98k's, a byf41 and a byf44, both with excellent bores. I was never able to get the scope adjusted correctly. The reticle would not adjust close enough to the point of impact on either rifle. I gave up and sold it off. I'm convinced the repro mount was the suspect as it seemed to not fully seat in the rear sight sleeve.

Today I saw Dave's picture the first time and now I was searching online for some background info. I could find the following information about the picture:
"A sniper unit of the Wiking Division gets into position in the Caucasus 1942. Photos: SS-Kriegsberichter (war correspondent) Willy Altstadt".

If the description is correct, then it would fit perfectly with the document.

I knew the memo was from the SS Wiking Div, and then I recalled the picture discussed on the Sniper Forum. However, I wasn't aware that the picture was of some one in the Wiking div. and that both the memo and the pic were vintage 1941/42. I'd say that's very strong linkage between the two. I used the same term used by the writer of this SS document to describe this mount. This same writer stated it was mounted under the center of the barrel. Since a k98's wooden stock cover almost the entire barrel, the logical location would be to mount it on the stock in the area under the center of the barrel. The one mounted in the picture is located in this same manor; on the stock under the middle of the barrel.

When this pic was posted to the Sniper forum it was shrugged off as perhaps a personal addition made by the sniper in the picture. However, given this SS memo, it just might have been a Wiking Division wide effort with scoped rifles.

8x57IS Your translation of this document may have solved a number of questions which had been presented on the sniper forum regarding this picture and the scoped rifle in it.

I admit that the description in the document is very peculiar and therefore I have translated it word by word. I had no intention to connect the document with the photo, but luckily Dave showed it here and later I noticed the SS Division Wiking connection.

In the sniper forum I could find another picture which is interesting:

Sniper a.jpg Sniper b.jpg

I'm curious about your opinions, as I said, I'm not an expert.

Alteration / changes of weapons and equipment

I don't know if the monopod of the picture is identical to the one of the document, but I can imagine it looked like that or similar. It wasn't officially introduced, certainly it's an makeshift solution from the troop. I search already for about one hour, but I can't find the document where they mention makeshift solutions at weapons through the troops. In the order was written makeshift solutions are prohibited etc.

I searched further and I could find the document.

Kommandant für das rück. Armeegebiet - St. Qu., March 6, 1944

Kommandant für das rück. Armeegebiet

St. Qu., March 6, 1944

Generalmajor Dr. Grosse, höh. Pi.Führer, takes over my representation during my leave of absence, in current affairs the chief of staff.
signed A g r i co l a

Special orders for the supply No. 129.

I. Universal.

IV. Equipment (Qu.).

2.) Alteration / changes of weapons and equipment .

Self-handed changes to weapons and equipment are prohibited.
Changes that have proven themselves are commanded as a “Formänderung” (change of shape) in the Ht. V. Blatt, A.H.M. and special decrees.

Intended changes to weapons and equipment, which are deemed necessary by the troop, must be submitted for decision before execution.

I admit that the description in the document is very peculiar and therefore I have translated it word by word. I had no intention to connect the document with the photo, but luckily Dave showed it here and later I noticed the SS Division Wiking connection.

In the sniper forum I could find another picture which is interesting:

View attachment 177832 View attachment 177833

I'm curious about your opinions, as I said, I'm not an expert.

EDIT:
Haha nevermind. I didn't see Dave's photo.

Attachments

• a03c3a1235e1535db25b4a1f08d42d5c.jpeg
    a03c3a1235e1535db25b4a1f08d42d5c.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 44
This is one of the best threads I have seen in a while. Thanks for all this work you've done translating!

Jeff

This is one of the best threads I have seen in a while. Thanks for all this work you've done translating!

Jeff

Great thread. The monopod in the good photo, one can see the stock is modified to allow the pod. It is almost surely mounted to the receiver or metal, not the stock, or other mounting to prevent it from adversely affecting accuracy. The stock is clearly altered, and a lot.

The Germans were an ally of the Japanese. They likely tried some of their ideas and the Japanese tried and used some German ideas. Anything else would be a surprise. The Monopod idea was misguided but quite probably tried. Photos seems to show that.

Last edited:
Great thread. The monopod in the good photo, one can see the stock is modified to allow the pod. It is almost surely mounted to the receiver or metal, not the stock, or other mounting to prevent it from adversely affecting accuracy. The stock is clearly altered, and a lot.

The Germans were an ally of the Japanese. They likely tried some of their ideas and the Japanese tried and used some German ideas. Anything else would be a surprise. The Monopod idea was misguided but quite probably tried. Photos seem to show that.

Mike , Sorry I disagree , I suggest You click on my Photo and enlarge it to its Max . You can clearly see the Mono Pod is attached to the Stock and not mounted to the Receiver . There is no Stock Modification either at the mounting point . I have several other photos showing other snipers from this same division and a couple other SS Snipers with these Mono Pods on there Rifles all have the Mono Pods attached to the Stock in same manner . The Mono Pod is attached at 4 points to the underside of the stock . Here is one more Photo . Expand the photo for close up of Mounting method . Best Regards

Attachments

• Mono Pod.jpg
    Mono Pod.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 41
I'll have to agree and completely backstop Dave's statement on these things being attached only to the wooden stocks. The Pic's, which there are more than one, actually speak for themselves and clearly show that they were attached by either screw or maybe rivets at the corners into the wood.

I looked again and stand corrected. It appears added to the stock.

The Japanese added them to the barrel bands. Not a good idea either way. Accuracy will be altered.

Somewhat surprising, that nobody seems interested in the scoped 98/40. :)

Here is a document which is very interesting in several areas.

SS Division Wiking I a Tgb.Nr.339/41 geh. - Div.Gef.Stand, December 20, 1941

According to the experience made here, the Karabiner 98/40 with scope (1,5x magnification) which are coming into introduction in the army at the moment, are useless .......

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?19984-98-40-sniper

Years ago when I had an exhibit of German WW2 rifles going a German fellow stopped by, carefully examined my G98/40, and told me he was the inspector at the plant. He told me specifically that there was only one G98/40 "sniper" made at his request; it utilized a ZF 41. At the end of the war he buried it in his backyard in what was then East Germany and at the time I spoke with him it was still there.

Military Rifle Journal
Back