Third Party Press

Thread: Looking to buy my first K98K

Default Looking to buy my first K98K

I posted another thread with two different Mausers. This particular one, I found on Armslist. The guy was kind enough to reach out to me and give me a brief overview (dude seems to really know his stuff and the history of these rifles; I was made aware that he also frequents this forum). Anyway, he posted an ad on arms list with this description.

"WW2 German K98 Mauser Rifle. Receiver code S/42 1938 with early war walnut stock marked WaA63. Matching receiver, barrel and front sight. Bore rates good to very fine with stong grooves and lands. Mechanically sound and operates expertly. Rifle was manufactured by Mauser Oberndorf in 38, served in WW2 and was rearsenaled after the war. All proof marks are intact. Includes cleaning rod." He wants $900 and is going to send me more photos. For the time being here's what I have so far. Is it a go or no?
    Last edited by MistaMusick; 05-10-2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Eliminating curse words, grammatical errors.

You'll need a lot more photos than that. Asked for clear pictures of the markings on the gun as well as the serialized components.

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana View Post
    You'll need a lot more photos than that. Asked for clear pictures of the markings on the gun as well as the serialized components.
    Gotcha. More information from this gentleman. "This rifle is a an S/42 1938 Mauser Oberndorf. It would fall between the high end of the RC category and the low end of the vet bring back. It retains all of it's markings and the swastika's are not peened out. The walnut stock has it's original markings and finish. There is some wear on the left side of the stock where it was in service by the East german army after the war. There are no Russian capture X's on the receiver. The receiver alone retails for $250 and the walnut stocks are rarer to find. The walnut stock is also correct for an early 1938 S/42 as mauser phased out the walnut stocks from late 39 into 39, however some were used all the way up through 1944, all be it in smaller quantities which is why they are more rare. Attached are some additional photos. This rifle looks even better in person and will hold its value well."
    Attached Images Attached Images

This gentleman is also open to a reasonable offer. Any ideas on what would justify as "reasonable." I'm new to these rifles. I just started getting into collecting WW2 era rifles as well as earlier eras. I got to say, I'm impressed with this rifle. I mean this is a beauty. I'm hoping for positive vibes and the okay to go for it. He also said that he has a vet bring back stating "If you are looking for a vet bringback, I also have a bnz 43 that has a matching stock, receiver, barrel, magazine housing, buttplate and a bolt that is all matching to itself, but it also a bnz steyr bolt waa623 that is $1,500."
    Last edited by MistaMusick; 05-11-2018 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Adding new information.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaMusick View Post
    This gentleman is also open to a reasonable offer. Any ideas on what would justify as "reasonable." I'm new to these rifles. I just started getting into collecting WW2 era rifles as well as earlier eras. I got to say, I'm impressed with this rifle. I mean this is a beauty. I'm hoping for positive vibes and the okay to go for it. He also said that he has a vet bring back stating "If you are looking for a vet bringback, I also have a bnz 43 that has a matching stock, receiver, barrel, magazine housing, buttplate and a bolt that is all matching to itself, but it also a bnz steyr bolt waa623 that is $1,500."
    No a bolt mismatched rifle is worth $900-$1000. Remember if the bolt is mismatched or the stock is mismatched the total value of the rifle is cut in half. Thats been the collecting rule for many years.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Apologies for being dense but are you referring to the first rifle or the vet bring back? Technically, I guess this could apply to both correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MistaMusick View Post
    Apologies for being dense but are you referring to the first rifle or the vet bring back? Technically, I guess this could apply to both correct?
    I was applying to the bnz 43 rifle. Now if it is an SS contract gun might be worth a little bit more. But at the end of the day remember a bolt mismatch rifle cuts the value in half.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Good to know. What is your opinion on the $900 K98K? I posted some pictures of it including some matching numbers. Is there a reasonable offer I can make him for that one or do you believe $900 is worth it? I was thinking of offering him a ballpark figure of $650-$800.

Default the $900 gun

Can you see it in person? if so check every SN on the gun and compare it to the one on the Pic reference on this sight. If the rifling is good and it is in deed all matching then probably $900-$1100 range. Bluing isnt good but no pitting I can see. Best bet is to go to a gun show and pick one out in person. If it has a few mismatched parts $600-$800. Best to save up and wait for a nice $1500-$2000 gun in almost perfect condition.

DO NOT LAY DOWN THE CASH WITHOUT MORE AND BETTER PICS

Whats a reasonable price range for an all matching representative wartime K98? Thanks