Third Party Press

Thread: German used Italian M91/28?

Default German used Italian M91/28?

Picked this up at the local military show...Missing the cleaning rod...I posted it on Gunboards this morning to find out what the base rifle actually is..These things are confusing...Anyway, signs of German use are the 4 digit number stamped on the keel and a blued bolt...A cool thing is the white paint that wasn't removed from the dings in the stock in current pic #3...A sign of winter/mountain use? There is no facility stamp in the stock that I could see, but it is pretty beat up on the keel by the lower swivel and may have been obliterated....Sorry again for the mixed up photos, no clue on why that keeps happening...Thoughts on this one are appreciated...Thanks for looking, Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks German to me, though I don't think that bolt is blued. Its just the heavy gray patina that is common on these.

I have a Dutch No1NM that has an added stock SN in what looks like the same font. No depot stamp on it either, but I am confident it was German used.
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ed-Dutch-No1NM

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    Looks German to me, though I don't think that bolt is blued. Its just the heavy gray patina that is common on these.
    I thought that too, at first, but under magnification it sure looks like it has been blued...It is pretty even colored throughout the body, the back half is still in the white/patina...
    But I was pretty certain the keel number was a German trait, at least on foreign made weapons...Thanks for the response, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post

I have a Dutch No1NM that has an added stock SN in what looks like the same font. No depot stamp on it either, but I am confident it was German used.
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ed-Dutch-No1NM
    I agree with you, it looks German.

We all know, the German Volkssturm had the Italian rifles in large numbers and Dutch rifles too. As example beside the river Weichsel, around 35 kilometer southern of Danzig on February 1, 1945:

Sector "Kampfgruppe Lobach" - Volkssturm Infantry Battalion Marienwerder
    a) Combat group: 2nd and 3rd company with 193 soldiers and equipped with 193 Italian rifles.
    b) Working company: Staff and 1st company with 179 soldiers and equipped with 179 Italian rifles.

Sector "Kampfgruppe 23rd Infantry Division" - Volkssturm Battalion
    138 soldiers equipped with 100 Italian and Dutch rifles.

Stock of Dutch rifle ammunition at Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Posen on January 14, 1945:
    - 15,600 rounds 6.5 mm Cartridge 152 (h) in clips
    - 191,116 rounds 6.5 mm Cartridge 152 (h) without clips

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post

Stock of Dutch rifle ammunition at Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Posen on January 14, 1945:
    - 15,600 rounds 6.5 mm Cartridge 152 (h) in clips
    - 191,116 rounds 6.5 mm Cartridge 152 (h) without clips
    I'm surprised there was actually that much foreign ammunition located that close to the front by that point in the war. I wonder if that inventory was done just prior to transporting it deeper into the Reich?
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I'm surprised there was actually that much foreign ammunition located that close to the front by that point in the war. I wonder if that inventory was done just prior to transporting it deeper into the Reich?
    The Dutch ammo is just a little part of the foreign ammunition located at Posen, they had a huge stock. I have a lot Posen documents, the whole story what happened there and in the future I will write maybe a extra thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post
    The Dutch ammo is just a little part of the foreign ammunition located at Posen, they had a huge stock. I have a lot Posen documents, the whole story what happened there and in the future I will write maybe a extra thread about it.
    Outstanding! I look forward to it.

Best,
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014