Third Party Press

Trench firing device

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Trench firing rest; was on epay long ago.

Attachments

• 25trest1.jpg
    25trest1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 25trest2.jpg
    25trest2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 25trest3.jpg
    25trest3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 25trest4.jpg
    25trest4.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 25trest5.jpg
    25trest5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 25trest5a.jpg
    25trest5a.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 25trest6.jpg
    25trest6.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 25trest6a.jpg
    25trest6a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 25trest6b.jpg
    25trest6b.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 25trest6c.jpg
    25trest6c.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 42
more trench firing device

Attachments

• 25trest6d.jpg
    25trest6d.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 34
  • 25trest6e.jpg
    25trest6e.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 25trest7a.jpg
    25trest7a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 25trest7c.jpg
    25trest7c.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 25trest8a.jpg
    25trest8a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 25trest8b.jpg
    25trest8b.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 25trest8c.jpg
    25trest8c.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 25trest9b4.jpg
    25trest9b4.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 25trest9b6.jpg
    25trest9b6.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 25trest9c.jpg
    25trest9c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
and more trench firing device:

Attachments

• 25trest9c.jpg
    25trest9c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 25trest9c1.jpg
    25trest9c1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 25trest9c2.jpg
    25trest9c2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 25trest9c3.jpg
    25trest9c3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 28
  • 25trest9d.jpg
    25trest9d.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 25trest9e.jpg
    25trest9e.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 25trest9e1.jpg
    25trest9e1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 25trest9e4.jpg
    25trest9e4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 25trest9e5.jpg
    25trest9e5.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 31
I remember this. Seller had lots of really nice bayonets, swords, 98 items, etc. Did you wind up with this?

Yes, May of last year by my records this was sold? They are damn tough to find original (your see dug ones that have been restored too). This was a nice display, and it shows the slot for the spare mirrors (the most fragile parts, so spares were kept in the buttstock).
Apparently both the French and British had working versions,- even the US Army experimented with an oddball in 1917, in of all place Beverly Hills, CA! (I suspect it was rather different then.. back then they had an Army range there). I do not think the US version was widely used, seems weird and impractical compared to the German version. (which there were at least two German types- minimally- as i have a picture of an German armorer working on a totally different type made almost completely of wood. The one Craig illustrates is the most commonly seen, although quite rare in nice original shape.)

Paul, what did it end up selling for? I know little about these, but knew enough when I saw it that it was special in that shape.

Craig, I didn't record the sale price unfortunately. They sell for as much as $5k believe it or not in original condition. JeffN offered one awhile back (2005- ground dug but decent- stocked with a Gew stock butt for $1500, and AGM sold another ground dug for $1800 (2004):

C100 - Mauser Rifle Trench Periscope Stock Attachment
Restored battlefield recovery metal trench stock extension has repainted field gray finish, surface of the metal is lightly textured attesting to time spent in the elements, but given the thickness of the metal, it could not have been on the field too long before it was picked up. A collector has subsequently restored the piece by repainting the finish and adding a replacement lower stock assembly. Periscope attachment measures 17" x 8" x 2", with knob adjustments at the base, metal screwpost for securing the buttstock of the rifle that will actually fire over the top of the trench, and interior with bars for that stock to rest against. Interior has one broken mirror, though that would be easy to replace. Spring and pull string mechanism that actuates the trigger of the second rifle is lacking. A rather well-restored battlefield relic, and an excellent opportunity to add a very rare trench warfare item to your Imperial display. III

$1,850.00

Paul, what did it end up selling for? I know little about these, but knew enough when I saw it that it was special in that shape.

Tks. I thought this one went for some serious coin, like $3 or $4k IIRC. I think that only because of what you posted as I really didn't remember, but knew whatever it went for somewhat surprised me.

These do turn up from time to time; what is always missing is the linkage from the trigger of the device to the rifle and the bracket which fits around the rifle trigger. I've never seen one with either the linkage or the trigger bracket intact. It is an extremely difficult unit to use - getting and maintaining a sight picture is difficult and the recoil movement is peculiar, to put it mildly. The technique evidently was to slack off the sling and hold the weapon down by pulling downward on the sling with the left hand - at any rate, that's the technique the French used and the one I have found most efficient. I suspect these were used sandbagged in position since stability is a problem. There is another version and some coverage in Gortz, although the accompanying text in Gortz (both eds.) is enigmatic in some respects.

The same seller (in 2007) sold another version of this same basic design, it had a string attached which looked old but as i have never seen one that was 100% complete I am unsure of what is correct and what might be some collector expedient to try one out. Even still it was not complete and the string only a fragment..

Seems like there were several variations of this basic design, which probably varied by mfg, as most are slightly different. I suspect the linkage would be slightly different as well?

These do turn up from time to time; what is always missing is the linkage from the trigger of the device to the rifle and the bracket which fits around the rifle trigger. I've never seen one with either the linkage or the trigger bracket intact. It is an extremely difficult unit to use - getting and maintaining a sight picture is difficult and the recoil movement is peculiar, to put it mildly. The technique evidently was to slack off the sling and hold the weapon down by pulling downward on the sling with the left hand - at any rate, that's the technique the French used and the one I have found most efficient. I suspect these were used sandbagged in position since stability is a problem. There is another version and some coverage in Gortz, although the accompanying text in Gortz (both eds.) is enigmatic in some respects.

Attachments

• trenstock6.jpg
    trenstock6.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 28
  • trenstock6a.jpg
    trenstock6a.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 27
  • trenstock8b.jpg
    trenstock8b.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 25
  • trenstock9.jpg
    trenstock9.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 27
  • trenstock9f.jpg
    trenstock9f.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 27
  • trenstock3a.jpg
    trenstock3a.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 29
  • trenstock1.jpg
    trenstock1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 28
Another thing is the rarity in period pictures.. I went through my database and only found one in use! The handheld mirrors/scopes (many different types) are used often enough but these are fairly hard to find in use?

Here is the one picture I noted, - thought i had another but couldn't find it. The guy was wearing a stirnpanzer on his helmet but I can't darn well find it and as i recall they had one of these- or maybe just the shield?

Anyway, obviously not seen much in use.

Attachments

• soldiers in trench w. special sighting attach.Gew98.jpg
    soldiers in trench w. special sighting attach.Gew98.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 52
When mine showed up it had (and still has) an improvised hook arrangement for engaging the rifle trigger and the linkage consisted of picture wire. On trial use the placement of the hook (at the inside maximum depth of the trigger curve) proved essential and the wire stretched rendering the unit useless.
A specimen of the same type in the Springfield Armory Museum has a small section of cord attached. I secured a section of similar cord from some German book packaging and tried it; it did not stretch as readily as the picture wire but did so under humid conditions. I then tried a section of US M1903 (waxed?) pull-through cord which worked. The version shown is a Leitz product and a contemporary ad for it designates it as an M1915; it shows in detail the trigger unit but does not describe the linkage, which appears to be cord. There is another version, the type shown in the photos, and I think somewhere I've seen a reference to that type being fitted with a fine chain linkage, which probably would overcome the wire/cord stretching problem.
Just about everybody had a similar unit; there was an Austrian job for working a straight-pull
and I think a Russian version as well. The US version was incredibly elaborate and was used in competition at Perry into the 1930s. The Germans "reinvented" it for the K98k/G41/G43, and a similar unit was even rigged up for using the Panzerfaust.

CB, thanks for the detailed thoughts, - probably as detailed as this subject gets!

I didn't know about the Austrian version.

When mine showed up it had (and still has) an improvised hook arrangement for engaging the rifle trigger and the linkage consisted of picture wire. On trial use the placement of the hook (at the inside maximum depth of the trigger curve) proved essential and the wire stretched rendering the unit useless.
A specimen of the same type in the Springfield Armory Museum has a small section of cord attached. I secured a section of similar cord from some German book packaging and tried it; it did not stretch as readily as the picture wire but did so under humid conditions. I then tried a section of US M1903 (waxed?) pull-through cord which worked. The version shown is a Leitz product and a contemporary ad for it designates it as an M1915; it shows in detail the trigger unit but does not describe the linkage, which appears to be cord. There is another version, the type shown in the photos, and I think somewhere I've seen a reference to that type being fitted with a fine chain linkage, which probably would overcome the wire/cord stretching problem.
Just about everybody had a similar unit; there was an Austrian job for working a straight-pull
and I think a Russian version as well. The US version was incredibly elaborate and was used in competition at Perry into the 1930s. The Germans "reinvented" it for the K98k/G41/G43, and a similar unit was even rigged up for using the Panzerfaust.

Thoght i had a german pic. only anzac's. this looks 'trench made'

Attachments

• ww1 004.JPG
    ww1 004.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 50
That's one of the most interesting things I've ever seen. Reminds me of of the MP44s that were modified to shoot around corners.

Hello,
photo showing an Austrian trench firing device from the Rosenau/Sonntagsberg museum, and a German WWII photo I just won on ebay.
Thanks
Wolfgang

Attachments

• IMG_2675_1.jpg
    IMG_2675_1.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 47
  • grabengew..jpg
    grabengew..jpg
    59 KB · Views: 45
New to forum

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but I am very impressed by the wealth of knowledge and items presented. I do have a WW1 German Trench periscope rifle attachment. It was made by Elektrische Bogen-lampen u. Apparate Fabrik, Nurnburg. The Bavarian War Ministry ordered 2,500 rests from Bogen-Lampen und Apparate-Fabrik GmbH in Nuremburg. Initially mirrors were employed by Bogen-Lampen but as they tended to fog up, sealed periscopes were used in later models. Delivery was slow and by October 1917 only 432 had been received. U-boat periscopes were a higher priority for the firm. What ended the periscope rifle were unfavorable evaluations as well as troops’ complaints about the weight and unwieldiness. No further orders were made.

IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks SWJXE! I have uploaded a few more photos, only issue it has is that some of the original twine/string is missing close to the trigger.
IMG_0586.thumb.JPG.bc40d24486eb3edac447e5d5261af44a.jpg
IMG_0587.thumb.JPG.0a2c711b313cdc719b9aa3f9a0dd2c3f.jpg
IMG_0598.thumb.JPG.f826e9cafdaa4c11d031f37d1ac14a35.jpg
IMG_0602.thumb.JPG.2df8aa1afcc4bd8d2b16cf96d18d6bc1.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back