Third Party Press

Black wound badge with award document, 3. Komp J.R. 328

ditch68

I Like Bunnies
Finally getting around to showing this, I picked them up a little while back. I have no knowledge of whether the medal and the badge actually belong together originally. About the only way I could envision this badge being in this condition and from this event is if the wound was fatal, and the award was mailed home with the badge to the family. Doubtful, I'd imagine the badge was added to the document by a collector after the fact. Both came in a Riker case.

I really like the document, since it is Infantry related.

Black wound badge in excellent condition, with award document to Oberschutze (Private first class) Walter Propach, 3. Kompanie of Infantry Regiment 328. It is indicated that the award was presented in the field.

Award dated for actions on 27 September 1942, awarded on 10 October 1942.

Could anyone point to any historical record of where the 328th was on those dates?

Jeff

Attachments

• 02oct11 005.JPG
    02oct11 005.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 02oct11 009.JPG
    02oct11 009.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 02oct11 010.JPG
    02oct11 010.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 02oct11 011.JPG
    02oct11 011.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Finally getting around to showing this, I picked them up a little while back. I have no knowledge of whether the medal and the badge actually belong together originally. About the only way I could envision this badge being in this condition and from this event is if the wound was fatal, and the award was mailed home with the badge to the family. Doubtful, I'd imagine the badge was added to the document by a collector after the fact. Both came in a Riker case.

I really like the document, since it is Infantry related.

Black wound badge in excellent condition, with award document to Oberschutze (Private first class) Walter Propach, 3. Kompanie of Infantry Regiment 328. It is indicated that the award was presented in the field.

Award dated for actions on 27 September 1942, awarded on 10 October 1942.

Could anyone point to any historical record of where the 328th was on those dates?

Jeff

Check out these webpages:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Infanterieregimenter/IR328.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Infanteriedivisionen/227ID.htm

He was wounded in the siege of Leningrad.

P

Thank you very much, Peter!

That's excellent, I have a strong fondness for any memorabilia of the Ostfront, and I had no hope that this document would be from there, let alone such a famous engagement.

I guess I need to get a better frame for this.

Jeff

I found out yesterday that the recipient of this one was killed in action in September 1944 in the area just Northest of Riga, Latvia near the Kurland pocket (before it formed) at the rank of Unteroffizier He was from Heiligenhaus, in North Rhine-Westphalia. He was 34 years old at the time he was killed.

It is odd, I have had this for almost 10 years and just found this out, it is sort of sad.

Anyway, it only adds to the mystery of how this document got over here.

Jeff

Great, it brings this document even more to life.
I guess you found this information on the German wargraves website?
This page: http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuch...dbaa27&cHash=4eb5238b1cdccaa48d08bdde9e75f9e8
Just a worth of caution, Propach is indeed not a very common name and most likely it is a hit in this case but there is always the chance their was another Walter Propach in the 18th Army; I use this website a lot but usually I'am working with a Soldbuch thus I have a birthdate and that makes identification way easier and even then it can be a hassle because myself and some of my collecting buddies have found soldiers that have been buried or listed with their names misspelled.
Nevertheless I too think this is a match,congratulations with the award document and thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Peter. I hadn't considered if the name was common, but I also think this is the same person for sure.

That graves registry is a great research resource.

Jeff

Military Rifle Journal
Back