Third Party Press

scopeless LSR yard sale find

Congrats on the great find! Nice to find these out of the woodwork! Haha! Might wanna check back in and make double sure that the scope and mount aren't anywhere to be found!

My gut agrees with this. Offer them some goofy high amount for the scope and see if it causes them to start digging. Depending on what you've got in the rifle, it's probably worth overpaying a chunk to get the scope.

My gut agrees with this. Offer them some goofy high amount for the scope and see if it causes them to start digging. Depending on what you've got in the rifle, it's probably worth overpaying a chunk to get the scope.

That right there is golden advice.

Beautiful rifle, BTW!

Jeff

yep that scope is stashed somewhere in grandpa's stuff, doubt he sold it. if they can find it I would hold out and get a all original unit as time permits they are out there, if by chance the family find the scope you can always sell the unit you bought

nice find

it happens I got my G-43 the same way it sat in a vets closet for 40 years with no mag unfired by him

Thx again everyone, and fwiw im happy to have the input from so many knowledgeable collectors. Ive read here for years, and post now and then on GB, so i feel i have some idea who knows there stuff, and all of your comments are appreciated. I have asked the PO and his family to keep an eye out for the scope, ive provided them with pix of both the scope and can. I also told them i would pay well for the scope.

who knows? maybe ill get lucky. otherwise i need to just recover a bit, then ill begin looking for a scope and mount

Gene

Gene, you already did well on the rifle! Glad that you also had posted pictures here. Did you also see the serial database here, as I had suggested?

thx Georg, i am looking thru the sn post now. Between that and the information i have found elsewhere i believe i can answer my questions regarding the most proper mount.

thx again

Gene

Sauer Rifle Type Scopes

Here are some examples of the types of scopes Sauer used on their LSR rifles. Machine ring DOW was usually in the U letter block. In picture order: Kahles H4X60, Machine Ring DOW, Banded DOW, DKL, and Blued Ajack. I have seen BEK used in Sauer numbered mounts as well.

Attachments

• DSCN2260.jpg
    DSCN2260.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC08285.jpg
    DSC08285.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 78
Here are some examples of the types of scopes Sauer used on their LSR rifles. Machine ring DOW was usually in the U letter block. In picture order: Kahles H4X60, Machine Ring DOW, Banded DOW, DKL, and Blued Ajack. I have seen BEK used in Sauer numbered mounts as well.

Nice. Thanks Brian.

As mentioned, a friend of mine owns a LSR mount in the same w letter block with a Zielsechs scope. So while looking at the other pictures here it seems that your rifle is in the correct range to choose between a wide range of possible scopes!

Very good job. Nice to see the base not touching the stock, which was my main concern plus a little odd at the bottom front. A base making such contact will destroy accuracy and damage the stock. It would not leave the factory like that as seen earlier.. Was it just a prior poor reassembly, swollen wood and did you need to use a shim? Looks great.

I had a PU that shoot 1-1.5 MOA for about 2000 rounds. Suddenly it was all over the place. The problem was the action had settled in the compressed stock and made contact with the base. A little shimming and it was back to baseline. It remains one of my favorite shooters.

LSR looks really great well done . That said I would point out one small issue , if You really want to split hairs .It has to do with the finish of the Scope I have never seen a phosphate bek or any other scope with phosphate finish on a Sauer LSR matching Rifle or on a Sauer LSR Mount . As far as I am aware Sauer used only Blued Scopes on their LSR Snipers .But others may have info to the contrary. Best Regards .

Thx everyone ! Im on the road again for a few days, i didnt even notice if the base was contacting the stock now. Ill check when i get home. I didnt add any shims, although i have some from one of the mosin accurizing kits. Honestly ill never shoot it much, but as part of the purchase i agreed to have the PO come over and shoot it. so i had to zero it before inviting them over right?? :faint:i ran down to my backyard range with some light cast loads i shoot in my other 8mms..

edit..pix rotateddunno why or how to fix

5D57B327-1602-4D0A-956E-732660763185.jpg

took a few groups to get the windage set, then i set the elevation at 50 yds

768E3A3F-DA3D-448D-A55B-6E19B97C0BE7.jpg

B91803CA-9E5E-4168-8BCD-90BA72C490C9.jpg

added a bit more elevation, set the turret, and shot a few more at 100. looks like i yanked one..oh well

B364016F-2813-4633-AB8E-EF060795C168.jpg

Funny about the PU...mine did the same thing! was a good shooter till one day it went to hell. installed the accurizing kit and now she is a 1MOAish rifle again. never thought to check the stock/base for contact. you can bet i will now. Funny my rifle likes 308 155 scenars over varget. Just tried some 311 SMKs but theres no improvement and i keep alot of scenars around so ill be stickin with them...no matter what the sniper experts on the other boards say

Dave i was told before i bought the BEK that it wasnt considered correct. However when it became available at a fair price i couldnt pass on it. I will continue to look for a more correct scope. In the LSR sticky i made sure to mention that this combo was assembled from individual parts so hopefully no one considers my setup correct. I really like the look of the DOWs but im guessin they are pricy when they come up for sale. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Gene

It is not touching in your latest pics. It looks good. I suspect poor reassembly at an earlier point but was curious, not critical.

It is too nice for a shooter IMO but a few rounds and retirement is what I would probably have done. Others would likely never fire a round which is fine. Finding a more correct scope set up is a good long term goal. No need to hurry IMO. I got a Sauer mount about 15 numbers off for mine. Just stay alert and fine members here will help you find one.

Military Rifle Journal
Back