Third Party Press

Correct oiler for k43 ac (a block)

It is thought that none of the G/K.43 manufacturers ever issued the rifles out with oilers. The designers thought that an oiler would be stowed inside, so the butt trap was bored out for one. But!, the butt trap was bored too shallow for a normal 98k oiler to fit. A special oiler was designed to fit in these rifle’s butt traps. Later on, the butt trap was bored a little more for a normal oiler to fit. The only way to tell the difference in these is by their shorter size. They come in Bakelite and steel.

So, I guess depending on which rifle you have as to which oiler to use. Unknown who made the different oilers and they are not easy to tell apart from post war oilers (Rather, I personnally have a hard time telling them apart. Others can probably easily tell them apart quickly).

The guess is that not many oilers were ever put in these rifles due to the lack of oil stains found inside the butt traps of these rifles. And, personally, I haven’t seen many oilers with these rifles. You would think that oilers would be a standard thing with these because of all the moving parts on the semi auto rifle.

I guess if I were going to put an oiler with mine, assuming it’s an ac45 a block, then I would try to find a wartime steel one.

Source: Darrin Weaver’s book “Hitler’s Garands”, page 200.

Last edited:
There was no reason to store an oil bottle in the butt trap as the soldier with the G/K43 would have been issued a rg34 cleaning kit with that component.

I've owned and handled many of these rifles over the years and to echo what Tiger 2 Tank stated, never found one with an oiler within or even with oil stains. Parts kit and/or manual, yes. Oil bottle, no.

THank you!

This is great information, and with that said will not be trying to find an oiler for the buttplate.

THanks again!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back