Third Party Press

K98 Stock Kriegsmodell or Post-War Czech?

agentcq

This may be a silly question, but I am wondering if this is a Kriegsmodell or Post-War Czech stock?
I know that answering that question can be difficult, as the Czech's used left over WWII parts after the war and the Kriegsmodell parts and trim, but I am sure there is a member more knowledgeable than I.
No real markings to speak of, except for a '1' on the bayo lug (I have seen this on some WWII rifles before and if I recall this is a contractors marking)?
Some stock channel markings by the cross-bolt and bayo nut.
Appears that a potential Kriegsmodell styled sling was attached to the stock (similar to a gas mask strap adapted sling), but then again maybe it was just a surplus strap attached by 'Farmer Dan' after the war.

The big questions, is do I have a valuable stock that should be saved, or can I place this on a post-war restore project?

Thank you

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 127
  • FullSizeRender_5.jpg
    FullSizeRender_5.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 119
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 132
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 110
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 108
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 121
Are there any markings on the butt of the stock, on the end that would be covered by the butt plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s Israeli, notice the extra meat in the stock behind the rear band, the Israeli stocks are “thick“

I also think post war. Only kriegsmodell to really retain the band spring and bayonlig but delete the take down was Gustloff. And they didn’t use solid wood like that, and the rest just isn’t a Gustloff stock to me. And any other wartime one should be marked in the channel or under Bp, and other then Brunn II, should have a stock acceptance.

I've handled a lot of post war Czech and it does not seem to fit what I've seen.
First, it's drilled for a cleaning rod plus all those that I've handled were laminated beech and had some numbering or painted markings on the buttstock.

The inletting at the front of the mag well is very typical of Czech made stocks with it's "W" shape instead of the usual flat surface and I've seen post war Czech stocks drilled for cleaning rods and made of non-laminated wood. Could be Israeli as Clay said but they typically have an Israeli proof on them in my experience. Also not sure if the Israeli made stocks used that style of inletting at the front of the mag well. It's been a while since I had one apart.

Also, the "1" is actually a lower case "l" for Astrawerke.

Very well might not be Israeli but it seems likely, not positive on the inletting, been a while since I’ve had an Israeli in hand, the inletting certainly looks cleaner overall than an Israeli looking back at it, one I tried to fit was very poorly done. I am not positive they all had 7.62 stamped in the heel, but if so they are also thick in this area and can be sanded off, I had messed with one that I did that to for a place holder on a Bnz45. Who knows I may have to eat my words on that call! Haha

I'm thinking Chech made stock under contract to Isreal. Back in the late 80's/early 90's there were complete rifles and lots of spare parts at shows in the mid-Atlantic region. Lots of new stocks very similar to yours were around back then but without 7.62 brand. I have a 7.62 conversion with an unmarked stock that I suspect is a replacement. Maybe they didn't mark them until installed as they also had many 7.92 rifles in reserve?

Military Rifle Journal
Back