Third Party Press

Looking for help on a ce42

prez1981

I recently picked up a ce42 and, in the event I decide to pass it on, I want to be able to describe it honestly. It looks to be all matching with a faint eagle/H on the stock and a 42 or 43 dated sling. The stock and handguard are matching and the stock appears to be dated 2 12 42 - I assume it's a December 1942 production piece (r block). All he numbers appear to be righteous, but I'm not sure about the floor plate. The finish on the floor plate is consistent with the rest of the rifle and trigger guard, but the font is slightly different. I don't think any other numbers were previously ground off. I'd like to believe that it's righteous and/or a period renumber, but I want to be sure that I describe it honestly when/if I decide to list it. I only had time to get one picture of the floor plate/trigger guard, but appreciate your feedback. I can try to post more pictures of the rest if it would help, but it may take a few days. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 117
Also the shadow before the first three digits on the floorplate looks suspect.

And 2-12-42 means Second day of the twelve week, of 1942.

Yeah that floorplate looks bad to me too. This could have been one with just a WaA on it and not s serial number which would account for the discolored area being narrower than a four digit number. Once I saw that I would be suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The different font is why I brought it up and asked for opinions. I wasn't sure if this was a known modern font or could have possibly been period. I'll just disclose it as not factory numbering on the floor plate. Thanks for the info on the stock date. I'll try to get some more pictures.

That floorplate should bear the same font as the trigger guard if factory original.

Military Rifle Journal
Back