Third Party Press

Mauser 98k for 2k

gelierb

First post. I know nothing and want to buy a 98k with a budget limit of $2000. These guys (gun shop) seem OK. Does this seem like a decent buy?

"Rarest of the 98k’s. Only 98k made in Krestlingen, Switzerland in 1933 in violation of the Treaty of Versailles. Hitlers secret arms build-up. Rifle was updated around 1940 with turndown bnz matching bolt, floor plate, and trigger guard installed. Eagle stamps on refitted parts."

https://www.customshopinc.com/product/mauser-98k-standard-modell-banner-1924-8mm-good/

Thanks!

Hahahahahahahahahaha......:laugh:

No, seriously, what a hunk of crap, and the guy is a carnival barker of the highest magnitude, rivaling Big Ben himself.

Not worth half that.

Again, seriously, if you want to buy a 98k, read a bunch of threads here, look at the picture stickies, keep an eye on the trader board here, and we will help you buy a quality 98k with no BS...you won't find more knowledgeable guys, or better guys anywhere than is assembled here.

Really glad you asked before you leapt, because it would have been a costly mistake....

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry but where is the "trader board here", don't see it?

No, seriously, what a hunk of crap, and the guy is a carnival barker of the highest magnitude, rivaling Big Ben himself.

Not worth half that.

Again, seriously, if you want to buy a 98k, read a bunch of threads here, look at the picture stickies, keep an eye on the trader board here, and we will help you buy a quality 98k with no BS...you won't find more knowledgeable guys, or better guys anywhere than is assembled here.

Really glad you asked before you leapt, because it would have been a costly mistake....

You may have to get a minimum of posts before you can see it, or register....

I better keep posting I guess :)

I have a hardback book I picked up a few years back called "Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle" (Volume II) by Richard D Law. Nice book with great detailed B&W photos. Am I right in assuming his Backbone of the Wehrmacht (Volume I) would be a good book to pick up if still available?

You may have to get a minimum of posts before you can see it, or register....

I better keep posting I guess :)

I have a hardback book I picked up a few years back called "Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle" (Volume II) by Richard D Law. Nice book with great detailed B&W photos. Am I right in assuming his Backbone of the Wehrmacht (Volume I) would be a good book to pick up if still available?

Both of Law's books are dated, and have a lot of bad info/guns in them....it has been covered many times in the forum...BUT they have their good points, so as long as you don't take everything in them as gospel, especially the data sheets, they are useful. It certainly has a part in any good 98k library.

The best books to buy are the 3 (technically 4, since volume 2 was so big they had to do it in two books!) volume set written by Mrfarb and Bruce98k who also run this forum. Its not cheap, but for the price of a cheap bolt mismatch, or an expensive RC you can have the end all and be all of 98k references. I doubt it will ever be substantially improved upon. The books used guns from a huge number of collectors, and do not depend on virtually a single collection like Backbone did.

They are by far the best references on 98k's ever written, and likely ever to be written.

Plus 1:thumbsup:

Not worth half that.

Gelierb,
Welcome. The subject rifle is terrible. It's worth maybe $500 IMHO. For under $2k you can find an exceptional, matching, original K98k. The guys here will help you. No better sources of K98k info on this planet than the guys here from around the globe.
Cheers,
HB

1933 Standard Modell

That one is a real "Honker".....get away from it as fast as you can. Hang around this Forum and keep
checking the Trader section, the guys here will help you to find an authentic Kar 98k.
Tks,
Bob32268

So to begin my education, what is the example I linked to. Is it probably something cobbled together from misc. parts? Have the stamped numbers from the later refit actually been manipulated/faked, etc. Seems like it has really been overly "scrubbed clean" at some point?

Thanks for all the info - really appreciated!

So to begin my education, what is the example I linked to. Is it probably something cobbled together from misc. parts? Have the stamped numbers from the later refit actually been manipulated/faked, etc. Seems like it has really been overly "scrubbed clean" at some point?

Thanks for all the info - really appreciated!

If I had to guess, it was a Mauser Banner barreled receiver, and was put into a scrounged up stock set and replaced bolt, etc...didn't look close enough to see if its all been re-numbered, but if it was, why not renumber it to the gun?

In any case, its BAD!

And what's the significance of that Mauser Banner/logo? Haven't seen that before (on a 98k) and it was what made me think maybe the sales-talk (rare, etc.) had some substance to it.

If I had to guess, it was a Mauser Banner barreled receiver, and was put into a scrounged up stock set and replaced bolt, etc...didn't look close enough to see if its all been re-numbered, but if it was, why not renumber it to the gun?

In any case, its BAD!

And what's the significance of that Mauser Banner/logo? Haven't seen that before (on a 98k) and it was what made me think maybe the sales-talk (rare, etc.) had some substance to it.

No, they were just commercial/contract guns...not as common as a run of the mill 98k, but not rare either. His sales talk was gibberish, especially the "made in a secret factor in Switzerland" crap...these were produced at Mauser Oberndorf

OP...you want a good 98k for a good price? There is one on the trader now, a bolt m/m bcd 4...a legit gun, and WAY better than the honker originally posted...

OP...you want a good 98k for a good price? There is one on the trader now, a bolt m/m bcd 4...a legit gun, and WAY better than the honker originally posted...

Thanks for the heads up. So what is proper procedure on the trader? How is payment usually handled? First one to contact the seller gets the gun? Is it ok to request additional images like say a picture of the bolt face, headspace check etc.?

Thanks for the heads up. So what is proper procedure on the trader? How is payment usually handled? First one to contact the seller gets the gun? Is it ok to request additional images like say a picture of the bolt face, headspace check etc.?

Yeah, you have to watch closely, things don't last, that bcd went in an hour or two....but yeah, first that says I'll take it is first in line. Contact the seller, and work out payment and shipment with them, and its always ok to ask for additional pictures.

However, if you don't stake your claim, by the time you might get pics, someone else may jump on it.

You can be 99% sure anything posted up here will be as described, or it will get jumped on real quick and called out. We don't tolerate carnival barkers here...

Sounds like great advice from pzjgr. Seems 98k rifles are so desirable and often costly that fakery and outrageous claims will never end. if I am in the market for another you can bet I will check here for a legitimate rifle before taking a chance. I admit I am far from a pro.

Military Rifle Journal
Back