Third Party Press

1939 Bayonet

colorado

Hello Folks,

New to the forum and K98's.

A friend of mine recently gave me a K98 and bayonet.

Knowing nothing about these bayonets, I'm posting some pictures in hopes someone could tell me more. Is it a good one, common/rare, value, condition, history?
The numbers match, but there is no frog. It doesn't appear to have been sharpened (or used for that matter).

Really welcome your comments.

Thank you,

Doug

WLgigYL.jpg

Pjyo5Jx.jpg

3CydaZr.jpg

3D9TnU6.jpg

Kw5EbV6.jpg

tamSN9c.jpg

90Y7cs6.jpg

Hello You have there a S84/98 made by Clemen & Jung, Solingen in 1939, the blade and other part blueing looks like overhauled, possible there was other serial under so it was reserialed in a divisional workshop?, should be compared with other Clemen & Jung of same block letter. Its same maker on scabbard and same letter under? b.r.Andy
Better pictures on one color neutral background and non flashlight by taking photos could help here.

Hello You have there a S84/98 made by Clemen & Jung, Solingen in 1939, the blade and other part blueing looks like overhauled, possible there was other serial under so it was reserialed in a divisional workshop?, should be compared with other Clemen & Jung of same block letter. Its same maker on scabbard and same letter under? b.r.Andy
Better pictures on one color neutral background and non flashlight by taking photos could help here.

Thank you for that info AndyB.
Here's a couple of close ups of each.
It does appear to my untrained eye that it could have been reserialed and the mark under the numbers seem different from each other. Also the fonts are different.
IILTaFC.jpg

sG0wyaJ.jpg

Last edited:
Hello thanks for details, the differences in font of digits and letter d are normal by Clemen&Jung, anyway it looks like on bayonet were older number reserialed, on scabbard minimum 8 was stamped twice.b.r.Andy

Nice matching Clemen & Jung. I like bayonets that have legitimate alterations. Thanks Andy for your expertise.
You asked about a value, well if you go to ebay you will see a vast array of prices. Some are hopeful thinking, others are just stupid high. Clemen & Jung bayonets are in the list of more desirable bayonets by some collectors. Some collectors like bayonets that have been reworked by the Germans and that could add a little to the value. Where I live, if I could even find a Clemen & Jung around here, I would expect to pay at least $250.

Thanks for the replies and information guys!

Have been tempted to unscrew the handle and see what stamps might be underneath, would that be a bad thing to do?

Thanks for the replies and information guys!

Have been tempted to unscrew the handle and see what stamps might be underneath, would that be a bad thing to do?
I know it is a hard not to take them off to see what is under there. No pictures of the screws so don`t know if they have been messed with before. I have seen perfect screws get buggered up and messed up ones get worse.If they have never been turned, I would leave it alone. your call on that one though. Also when you handle your bayonet wear some kind of gloves. The acids in fingerprints can really mess blueing up and fast. Once the damage is done you can not take it back.

Same opinion, when is not good oiled the screws and You have not a proper tool, better dont start to remove grips,as the countesunk would be damaged probably. We dont see much under grips, only the complet was serialed together or not. I dont believe the blueing on blade is from begin there so probably repaired already. b.r.Andy

Really appreciate the advise guys, and I'll make sure to handle the blade with gloves and oil it.
Am guessing by proper tool, you don't mean just a gunsmith screwdriver?
The screws don't look buggered up to me. I won't fiddle with it.
S3dOZ3l.jpg

EmEmZ3b.jpg

5vrc9nt.jpg

HNuIJhW.jpg

My suggestion would be to not fiddle with taking off the grips. They screws do not look buggered and there really isn’t anything significant to find under them. You would have to fashion a spanned tool to hold the one side in place while you turn the other with a screwdriver. The only marking that you may find are the bakelite manufacturing markings and to see if the grips have been numbered to the bayonet. It is a nice looking bayonet.

Probably it should be remove with proper tool, but as mentioned by others, there is not extraordinary stamping under.I would leave it as is.b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back