Third Party Press

G98/40 barrel maeasument?

Jsne

Hi all

I Finaly got my hands on a 42 G98/40 all matching. It also have original sigthhood and Cleaning rod and a sling i think is the original one.
WaA 56 serial 3169 e.

I will post picture an other time.

Bore is nice and with sharpe lands and nice looking crown. no wisible troaterosion. ( some minor pitting in the bottom in the groves.)

So I expect the riffle to shoot wel!! But it dit not.

I have tried different ammo. From original german WW2 surplus to S&B and Prvi. and different handloads.

I shoot at 200 m and hit the taget (normal 10 ring) all over (and some outside taget) with all ammo.

Then I slug the rifflebore on the 98/40 and three om my well shooting K98K.

And this is what it shows with micrometer:

G98/40 :
Owerall: 0.325,8 (full lengt to find min. dia.)
6 Inch from Mussel 0.326,7.

Over land: 0.314

Three K98k's Overall:

6 inch from Mussel 0.323,2 too 0323,4
over land: avarage: 0.311,5

So, is it possible that the barrel on this riffle, is made by reaming the camber to 7,92x57 from a 35M 8x56R barrel or simply made of raw barrel material in stock for 8X56 R?

The reason I ask is that Prvi make 196 grain FMJ bullets for 8x56R in 0.327. But I dont know if I dare too try.
I have made a 0.327 bullet and put it in a case. It will chamber fine with no resistans at all. Then I have expand the caseneck a little more until the bullet drop into the case with no resistans. Emty case still chamber without resistans.

Anything from you experts? Or realoaders?

Best regard

JSNE

Military Rifle Journal
Back