• s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 20
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 27
bump. Anyone see any new ones? Here's a new LZA humper die, watch out for it:

orzel-luftwaffe-2 (1).jpgorzel-luftwaffe-2.jpgfake LZA2 ad.JPG

The good news is that they are poor quality stamps, both in how they are made, and the design of the number. They won't hold up long, and won't stamp a very good number in hardened steel.

The bad news is, the majority of people, myself included in some instances, wouldn't know the difference without up close study.

I’d like to see them, I’d hope that any original stamps that survive would be in the hands of collectors and displayed as such. If they were used today, it would be just as fraudulent as the new stamps being made, maybe even more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here they are. One is a Eagle over Swastika and the other is WaA 135. It’s hard to tell what shape the actual markings are in... if they are even there in the first place. They were sold on a well known collector site, so I hope it’s safe to assume an actual collector bought them for display purposes.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 72C00F61-4E54-4746-9164-328C4508AF3C.jpg
    72C00F61-4E54-4746-9164-328C4508AF3C.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 207
The fakes all seem to be made using electrical discharge machining (EDM), a.k.a. spark erosion technique. Maybe good enough for wood but not suited for steel.

The fakes all seem to be made using electrical discharge machining (EDM), a.k.a. spark erosion technique. Maybe good enough for wood but not suited for steel.

They will work, but the person making them is using a very COARSE burn. They could make the finish much better and make the stamp much better.

Additionally they are not relieved correctly for a stamp, that combined with how they have the font cut, it won't hold up long on hardened steel.

I will have to dig out my originals, though mine are commercial, not military.

Jon Speed has an enormous collection of original inspection stamps.

Good grief. It’s a Polish Frankenberry factory. 5 pages of skull stamps. We have seen his handiwork on many GB rifles.

Holy crap, that guy is a veritable hump factory. 83 different DETH HEDS ranging from unbelievably bad to actually fairly good. And hey, if they aren’t good enough you can even commission CUSTOM humper stamps suitable for your own personal level of bullshit.

The only use for these is fakery. Think about it, what other use could there be? I mean “freshening up” sanded stock markings is still forgery!! “It’s my rifle and I can do whatever I want to it” is legally and technically true but also NEVER makes it into a Gunbroker description. The only possible use for these is deception.

Fellas,
I'm trimming out this thread, I've deleted dead link posts, my posts and others which are merely friendly chat / not - substantive. I will do that from time to time to keep the thread devoted to pics and links of humper dies. Remember:

Post screen shots of seller and dies, and uploaded pics. Links die and become useless for reference. Thank you!

Fake die stamps and what they look like. Some of these were photographed at militaria fairs in Europe. Guys, as you find these, please do add to it.
Wow! This is one heck of a library and great resource in itself. I picked some up off eBay years ago to keep from being used in anger, lol. After learning so many have been made and continue to be made...it didn’t even matter.

This is daunting as a new “collector” getting into this…. Basically anything crisp is a buyer beware!?

Check the humper dies, run it by the forums here. It's a totality of the circumstances, a holistic analysis which I've yet to see get past this place.

This is daunting as a new “collector” getting into this…. Basically anything crisp is a buyer beware!?
Anything anywhere is buyer beware, and it need not be a “crisp” example. Natural aging techniques have many times made an “a$$ out of you and me”(assume).

& although the internet & modern life in general have accelerated the trend, faking of WW2 gear has been going on since 1945 at least, so some ‘enhancements’ may be fairly well worn…….arming yourself with knowledge is key to protecting your assets!

Damn shame and not good for our hobby. No doubt many afraid of being hosed on faked guns or whatever. Far better off buying from here. Well worth the wait when spending a large sum of cash!

One approach is to ‘start small’, don’t “swing for the fence” on your 1st rifle. Mine was a sportered 1909 Argentine, found in 2012 at my LGS. It has SO many features futzed with, some badly, but I went back for it after doing a bit of research, it called my name. A rifle in made in Germany by DWM in 1910!

Buy a mismatched/parts rifle, even an rc, or other variant as I did, it will serve as a learning touchstone, save you money, and increase your appreciation for the K98k. Just for shooting/hunting I prefer a slightly less potent caliber, the older you get…..I’ve pretty much given up .30-06, unless I drew a moose tag, as my Dad said, “it kills at both ends”.

Not trying to steer you away from a nice K98, just that there are nice similar rifles out there for less $$$, & less faking pressure on them because of that. Then, if you discover evidence of bubba or outright fakery, you haven’t lost great value AND will have learned how to spot bubba tracks for the next better rifle you look at.

One approach is to ‘start small’, don’t “swing for the fence” on your 1st rifle. Mine was a sportered 1909 Argentine, found in 2012 at my LGS. It has SO many features futzed with, some badly, but I went back for it after doing a bit of research, it called my name. A rifle in made in Germany by DWM in 1910!

Buy a mismatched/parts rifle, even an rc, or other variant as I did, it will serve as a learning touchstone, save you money, and increase your appreciation for the K98k. Just for shooting/hunting I prefer a slightly less potent caliber, the older you get…..I’ve pretty much given up .30-06, unless I drew a moose tag, as my Dad said, “it kills at both ends”.

Not trying to steer you away from a nice K98, just that there are nice similar rifles out there for less $$$, & less faking pressure on them because of that. Then, if you discover evidence of bubba or outright fakery, you haven’t lost great value AND will have learned how to spot bubba tracks for the next better rifle you look at.
Thank you. I think I have a winner for my first one, but it takes a scholarly approach for sure. As far as the wallop, I’ve really been enjoying developing cast loads for my other mauser’s. It’s a economical way to shoot and a lot of fun!

Anything anywhere is buyer beware, and it need not be a “crisp” example. Natural aging techniques have many times made an “a$$ out of you and me”(assume).
It’s a fun hobby, but treacherous too. As mentioned on this thread, arming yourself with knowledge is the best defense and even then….

Military Rifle Journal
Back