Third Party Press

byf42 ii Block

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
This is a repost. But for a good reason. I purchased this rifle in 2010 or 2011. It was my first german code matching rifle. It was covered in like smokers tar. It was sticky and yellow and gross. And smelled smokey. I used varsol on a rag to remove it from the metal, but never touched the wood as it was beyond my abilities. Eventually I sold it to fund another rifle. I regretted it eventually. Well this past week I got the chance to buy it back. So i happily did. Its just a solid, used but not abused rifle, but it has a spot in my heart as she was my first. I was examining it after getting it back and realized the residue was still on the wood. So I put a bit of water on an old sock and wiped it down. The sock came away yellow brown. With basically zero effort. I was blown away. So I wet the sock again and gave it one good wipe down. The amount of yellow tar that came off is incredible. I liked the gun before but it looks and feels way better now. So I was happy to get it back and happy it tidied up a little, hence the repost.

byf42 2524ii all matching. Barrel code: R e/135

Sight hood - blued

Front sight base - blued, e/140

Front band- blued, speed milled, serialized

Rear band- milled, blued, serialized

Band Spring- blued, milled

Bayo lug- blued, milled

Hand guard- Walnut, serialized, struck 2525 corrected to 2524

Sight leaf- blued, serialized

Sight slide - blued, serialized

Rear sight base- blued,

Ramp- blued, serialized

Barrel- blued, proofed,

Barrel Code: R e/135

Receiver- blued, byf42, proofed, e/135 final, RW on bottom

Trigger guard- blued, milled, serialized

Floor plate - blued, milled,serialized,

Follower- blued, e/140

Bolt- blued, e/140, proofed on rear flat, serialized

Safety - blued, RW, serialized

Bolt Sleeve- blued, serialized, RW

Cocking Piece- blued, serialized, RW

Firing pin- white. serialized, RW

Extractor- blued, plum

Ejector box- blued, serialized

Ejector screw- blued

Front action screw- blued

Rear action screw - blued

Trigger- blued,

Sear- white, serialized, e/140

Stock: Walnut, serialized internally, e/135 at wrist and butt

Butt plate - brg marked, red oxide, waa147 ink stamp

rifle.jpgbyf.jpgbolt.jpgband.jpgstock.jpgstocka.jpgsight.jpg

And for Bruce or Mike or Paul Shomper, or anyone else who may know......how the hell does a K marked, e/4 cleaning rod nut end up in this rifle. It was a wood work sourced gun in Canada. |It had mud under the wood when i obtained it, so unlikely it was swapped....DSC_0370.jpg

I'm glad that you got it back. Not often does that happen.
I have purchased a few guns with dirty, sticky wood like that and have had great success wiping it down with "Huggies" brand baby wipes. There's nothing caustic or harmful in them, nothing to damage the wood, metal or leather and cleans nicely. Even helps get rid of that smokey smell. Make sure their Huggies as they are thicker and stronger fiber clothe.

If you lived in the states I’d make you sell that to me. Lol.

No idea how that but got there, replaced maybe? Those things did get messed up from screwing rods in. Since it’s mismatched you should probably export it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that rifle and good cleaning job. I got a 37 bSw in the same condition, just the smell unwrapping it from shipping prompted a "Mr. Yuck" experience. I'd say that ferrule was a replacement, I may have an unmarked one to swap. I know those e/4 parts are unsightly.

Nice '42 ! I love the look of that rifle.

As to the dirty, smokey aspect......I purchased a Springfield 1903 as well as a Trapdoor Springfield .45-70 that had spent many decades hanging on the walls of a small VFW hall's bar.
Talk about the cigar/cigarette smell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been 20 years now, and the '03 still has a lingering odor. (Very faint, still detectable, but no longer objectionable.)

That's a nice looking rifle and it's great you were able to buy it back. Nothing like getting back your first. Not sure how you're able to live with that e/4 rod nut?? :laugh:

I was disappointed in you when you sold it. You've redeemed yourself a bit by buying it back.

It's a fantastic looking example. Nice pics too.

Thanks guys. Clearly I made the right call.

@mrfarb come and get it!

@jeremy I know I know.

@mow If I ever decide to swap it I’ll let you know. Haha

Original component

Luck & Wagner, Suhl supplied many of the firms with components (bolt releases and rod nuts); in regards to byf/42 obviously the reports on such a hidden and out of the way component is scarce, but two ff-blocks have this same screw nut component (2589/ff & 4933/ff). I am sure there are many others, just few think to show/document such a meaningless component.

I do not even trend this feature and i generally trend even the most irrelevant component. It should also be easy to confirm how common this is, Mauser-Oberndorf is far and away the most common rifle found in upper grades, - I would bet there are more upper grade byf's than the rest of the ordnance codes together (that survived in upper grades).

how the hell does a K marked, e/4 cleaning rod nut end up in this rifle. It was a wood work sourced gun in Canada. |It had mud under the wood when i obtained it, so unlikely it was swapped....View attachment 179139

Paul, thanks for the info. If three in the double suffix range then I’d imagine there’s more and it’s probably original.

Military Rifle Journal
Back