Third Party Press

ASW44 Bayonet

SSGMac

I have a chance to trade for an ASW44 Bayonet with matching # scabbard. The blade appears unsharpened but there is rust on the scabbard, guard , and rear of Bayonet . I think it is fairly shallow and should clean up pretty good. I wish I had some pics but, unfortunately, I don’t. I would have about $90 in it. Would this be too much $ for such a Bayonet??

$90.00 for a matching and unsharpened bayonet sounds like a great buy. I would have to see the extent of the rust to confirm if it is a great buy. Also, if it is a 44 asw, are the grips riveted? Riveted increases potential value. Can you get and share pictures.

The grips are not riveted and I will post pics tomorrow evening after I have it in my possession.... see ya then guys

Ok guys, it seems I told everybody a tall one!! The guy has a ASW44 bayonet but the one I traded for is a matching 41fnj . Can somebody tell me what company manufactured these under this code?? Also, I need some help PLEASE. I need a replacement grip screw with the little slotted "nut" for the other side. I would like for it to have a nice, un-buggered slot on both but finish is no concern as this is definitely an old war horse and a little rust is fine. I will post pics after I clean it up a bit. I sure hope somebody can help me out with a screw and escutcheon (maybe this is the right name) …..

Ok guys, it seems I told everybody a tall one!! The guy has a ASW44 bayonet but the one I traded for is a matching 41fnj . Can somebody tell me what company manufactured these under this code??

Alexander Coppel (Alcoso) of Solingen

Thanks for the information !! Now, can somebody help me out with a grip screw and nut ?? I appreciate the help... Mike

Ok, now all I need is the screw without the nut, does somebody know somebody who might have one ???

So on the back plate of this one on the portion that lies directly underneath the grip plate, there is 4 large numbers stamped into the metal. They are not the same as the ones on the blade and scabbard. Is this a mis-match or does this number mean something else??

So on the back plate of this one on the portion that lies directly underneath the grip plate, there is 4 large numbers stamped into the metal. They are not the same as the ones on the blade and scabbard. Is this a mis-match or does this number mean something else??

You are describing the blade blank stamping. In most cases these digits will NOT match the final serial numbering. Some pieces are also stamped with additional assembly or bench numbers in addition to the blade blank markings and serial number. Generally speaking the earlier dated examples have the most markings.

I am not talking about the blade blank but is does, however, have a number on it too that is different. I am talking about the part that ,when the grips are removed , slides off of the back portion of the grip and the grip screws go through it. This large number is on the side close to one of the grip screw holes ....

Okay, the flashguard. If it has a number it should match the serial number or derivative OR an added assembly/bench number.

Well it doesn’t match the serial number so maybe it is a bench number because I really believe it is original to the piece

Any opinions on this? Should this number match the one in the blade and scabbard or is this a bench marking of some sort?

Question its from a early 1944 asw?, as in 1944 mainly were the flashguard not serialed with assembly numbers by Horster. When is of 41fnj, so it should be matched probably with assembly number. b.r.Andy

it is on a 41 fnj bayonet so I am confused. Should it match the serial number on blade and scabbard or is it an assembly number?? Thanks...Mike

As i dont see any pictures of the piece, details of serial numbers?? in time of mobiles talk about serials without picture is strange, anyway Slash already declared all in previous posts, it should be matched with a assembly number inside on tang. By some producers is the serial number identical with assembly number, but mostly not. b.r.Andy

Here is my old War Horse . A little rough but all matching and definitely has “been there”

Attachments

• 9C8385DE-5A9B-4198-B73B-CF1EA636DAD8.jpg
    9C8385DE-5A9B-4198-B73B-CF1EA636DAD8.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 1C51008D-B4B0-4599-926A-3422DE4809AA.jpg
    1C51008D-B4B0-4599-926A-3422DE4809AA.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 13

Military Rifle Journal
Back