Third Party Press

Restoring a Sporterized K98

TonyJ

Guys ,

A local fellow has a Sporterized K98K for Sale, Suppose to be all matching.
At least the parts that are currently on the rifle.

I have never taken on a restoration project of this caliber.
Can anyone give me an idea of what the cost and availability of bringing this rifle close to its original configuration?

And what you could consider it to be valued in its current state and condition?
Not a lot of pictures to go by.

Thanks for your help.
Tony

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 102
It would cost a few hundred for the stock and bands. Not a big deal.

What's the maker and date? How is the bore? Are the parts original factory matching? We need more pics to say anything.

Appears to have a WW1 trigger guard, so might not be all matching parts, unless it's a depot build or something. Still, just looking at those photos it would be an easy restoration. Depending on how much the rifle cost you it may or may not be worth restoring value wise.

It would cost a few hundred for the stock and bands. Not a big deal.

What's the maker and date? How is the bore? Are the parts original factory matching? We need more pics to say anything.

Nirvana, mrfarb,
Thanks for the replies ,
i'm waiting on more info from the seller.will post when i get it.
Tony

Last edited:
The wood relief around the cross bolt is pretty proud so it may be a candidate for a donor front end patch. They don't show up often but I may be able to locate one. If that is it's original stock anyway. If not, belay my last. Stock and hardware replacement can run $200-$350 depending on condition and mismatch or matching metal.

I had a sporter which was cut at a similar position - a donor front end was $100 and the wood work was almost seamless and about $50 in trade. He actually blended in the laminations so the only evident seem was on the belly of the fore end.

Cost really depends on how 'original' you want to be and if its a MM anyhow, does it matter? If a late war rifle, it is easier to restore as often bands etc. may be unnumbered.

RC Stock set, Post-War Yugo stock set (K98 not M48) or Czech stock set with bands should cost $80-200 and repro site hood and cleaning rod $20-40 and you would have a finished rifle that 'looks the part'.

For a nice Norge stock set you are looking at the $250-350 range and you may or may not get a rod with it or hand guard.

Original stock will generally start at Norge prices and go up from there. Original rods and hoods vary greatly in price.

It all depends on how much time you have to be on the hunt. If you look long enough you can get all of these for next to nothing. Cheapest Norge stock set with bands and rod I paid maybe $140 CDN and only $10 for an original sight hood.

Good luck!

Oh and if you scrap the stock - it still has value!!! Butt plate, take down disc, lug, and likely still has the cleaning rod securing nut and some people may want the wood for a project or patch job. All broken down, you may even have ~$100 or parts.

If you want to go the RC or Yugo route, just PM me.

I’m giving it one roll of the dice guess, Erma supplied receiver 1942 Sauer in an Oberndorf stock with a vz24/G98 TG, I’m probably completely wrong :laugh:

I’ll play, I think it’s a duv40/41 in a late Mauser stock with Gew triggerguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m giving it one roll of the dice guess, Erma supplied receiver 1942 Sauer in an Oberndorf stock with a vz24/G98 TG, I’m probably completely wrong :laugh:

That got me wondering. It looks like a single acceptance dead center on the bolt collar. Many (JPS, Erma, MO, MB) went from 2 to none in short order. It's not bcd because the Kohler supplied parts the e is right on the back edge and the n from EW Reichenbach is about 1/3 from the back. Steyr used a single but also more towards the rear third. The Czech plants didn't bother marking their collars. BLM did use a single e/214 for a bit in '41 IIRC. I wonder if that's who made the bolt?

Idk where you are but there is a guy at the Washington county gun shows just south of Pittsburgh PA who usually has "pick your pumpkin" k98 stocks for $100. Next one is June 23+24.

One he's got it for sure.. I just wanted to know what clued him it was a BLM barreled action?

It's totally an educated guess, but - no groove for sight hood that I can see, the "Mod98" on the receiver looks very big/heavy (typical for duv40/41), also zoomed in I can tell the firing proof are the small type, again duv40/41. There are other candidates it could be, I hope the OP gets it and tells us what code it is.

It's totally an educated guess, but - no groove for sight hood that I can see, the "Mod98" on the receiver looks very big/heavy (typical for duv40/41), also zoomed in I can tell the firing proof are the small type, again duv40/41. There are other candidates it could be, I hope the OP gets it and tells us what code it is.

Thanks. I was interested in what you were looking at. If you look at post #11 I came to the same conclusion using the other side of the rifle, but you beat me by time stamp. I think my analysis of the one feature was pretty solid?

I hadn't focused on that side of the rifle but I'll admit you have a more solid evaluation.

Thanks. I was interested in what you were looking at. If you look at post #11 I came to the same conclusion using the other side of the rifle, but you beat me by time stamp. I think my analysis of the one feature was pretty solid?

I hadn't focused on that side of the rifle but I'll admit you have a more solid evaluation.

Yep, you narrowed it down. Lets see if we are right!

Sporter

Guys, I received some more pics from seller.
Definitely not all matching as he first told me.
It was Fun and informative reading all the responses. He's looking to sell cheap so i most likely will buy,
and possibly restore or part out.not sure yet.
Here goes
Thanks

Attachments

• k981.jpg
    k981.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 48
  • k982.jpg
    k982.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 44
  • k983.jpg
    k983.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43