Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scored one today

Default Scored one today

I was setting up a table at the Dallas show today with full intentions of just cleaning some of my stuff out... Then this WGL stock caught my eye, for a few seconds I tried to say no, but for eight bills I couldnít bring myself to be that dumb. Itís got a couple issues, varnished overall and thereís a chip out of the stock behind the tang, but overall not bad. The metal is very nice, canít wait to see what it looks like not covered in varnish, Iíll take better or at least more pictures when thatís done haha. Maybe the most interesting thing to me is that it has a WGL stock but RGL handguard, maybe thatís fairly common but I donít recall seeing that much if ever this early on. It was a good day, there were at least a couple other forum members there, luckily I picked this one up just in time, hopefully itís a sign of a good show if anyoneís thinking of making it out tomorrow.

And we hear all the time that people can't find k98k rifles priced like this! Nice score buddy.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Looks nice, you canít pass that up at $800. Just do a gentle strip, Iíd probably just leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Add a picture contrasting the handguard and stock if you have the opportunity. This combination happened although I would not call it common. Nice purchase. you would not have any trouble flipping it for a profit. Thanks for posting it here.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Nice score! I would have been on that like white on rice, especially for 800 bucks!

Thanks fellas! Iím just taking the varnish off the metal for now, itís not too thick on the stock, in some areas almost none so I may end up leaving it. Iíll grab pictures of more details such as the HG and the funny area of compressed laminate blank in front of the recoil lug later.

Flynakeds secret is a lucky horseshoe in his keister.....

I haven't seen it in hand yet, but it looks like a beauty...I would've been there setting up, but I am headed to Bermuda tomorrow, so Clay is taking my table for this one so I don't lose it (It's a great spot!)

I say keep it, how often do you run into a nice, all matching 98k for $800 anymore? Even if it one of the most common ones out there, it looks like a real beauty!

Try not to sell it before I get back...so I can se it!

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Thanks fellas! Iím just taking the varnish off the metal for now, itís not too thick on the stock, in some areas almost none so I may end up leaving it. Iíll grab pictures of more details such as the HG and the funny area of compressed laminate blank in front of the recoil lug later.
    Let me at it, I'll get that varnish off! I am the Stripper King!

I will tackle that Peruvian when I get home, me thinks...took it all apart last night, but it will have to wait until I get back for anything further....

Nice rifle! I love how clean it looks.

Nice score!!! I kind of agree with Mike, although I hate anything on a stock, this does not look bad. You may make it look worse working on it. Iíd probably leave one as lightly touched as this. Different material handguard may not be common but it did happen.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04