Third Party Press

X block Sauer 44, the last of them.

..the 1943 receivers with the bridge flaws and the corresponding waffenamts (e/280) accepting the flaw..

That is neat. I had not seen this before. Any idea how many or how broad the block range these spanned?

At Least four, all ce/43 and the known range from h-block through cc-block, none are grouped closely. Some are worse than others, 5244 cc is just a crease sized flaw..

That is neat. I had not seen this before. Any idea how many or how broad the block range these spanned?

Attachments

• 20051218104241_ce43rc.jpg
    20051218104241_ce43rc.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 2005121810429_ce43.jpg
    2005121810429_ce43.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20051218104221_ce43a.jpg
    20051218104221_ce43a.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20051218104255_ce43rca.jpg
    20051218104255_ce43rca.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 50
Most of the salvaged parts and armorers spare parts you see on 98k's came from the evacuation of the Posen depot system, where there were tons of salvaged components and spare parts. There were some documents recently found about German plans to destroy the facilities and such, nothing as far as I know about where parts were sent.

The Heereszeugamt H.Za. Posen had a large Waffenwerkstatt (weapon workshop), in addition at the Heeresnebenzeugamt H.N.Za. Posen was a highly expanded part of the weapon workshop.

On August 4, 1944, the management of the H.Za. Posen was ordered by Feldzeugkommando XXI to set up an evacuation calendar. The evacuation calendar should be prepared in case an evacuation would become necessary in the future, therewith this can be done quickly by preparatory measures. The evacuation calendar must contain:

a.) The stocks to be evacuate were listed according to an urgency level from 1 to 5. As example fully serviceable weapons and repairable weapons was at level 1, barrels and bolt parts at level 2.
b.) The course of the evacuation in 5 paragraphs with all details. As example schedule of the supervisory staff, schedule of the labor and means of transport etc.

Another document shows, the relocation are sorted by Geräteklassen (device classes) and the parts should be sent to different locations in the area of Feldzeugkommando III. Here is a list of Geräteklassen: device classes
As example Geräteklasse J (Infanteriegerät - Infantry equipment), in this case small arms and spare parts, should be send to H.Za. Spandau (Bezirk 2a) - Gl. Küstrin Neustadt. ***
Geräteklasse A (Artilleriegerät - Artillery equipment) should be send to H.Za. Spandau (Bezirk 4a) - Berlin-Spandau (Johannisstift) Zeugamt area.

*** In the city Küstrin was located the Heeresnebenzeugamt H.N.Za. Küstrin and I had to think about the "Kü" and "Ku" marking (I just mention it, we know the "Kü" marking belong to Küpper bei Sagan).

On January 23, 1945 Posen had the first enemy contact with the Russians. I still have to evaluate many documents, before I can write more about it.

Again fantastic insights even including small tidbits such as this...

..the city Küstrin was located the Heeresnebenzeugamt H.N.Za. Küstrin and I had to think about the "Kü" and "Ku" marking (I just mention it, we know the "Kü" marking belong to Küpper bei Sagan)..

I think the difference and understanding is important. It's location on the railway to Berlin makes it an ideal location I'd guess? Thanks for your continuing work in translating these documents!

Posen was also a small arms center in World War I (and an training ground for the 5th AK), though this certainly had little influence 1919-1939 being as Posen was taken by Poland (Versailles) during the interwar period. However, as Posen was an industrialized region throughout this period (DWM ran an important facility during the Second World War), it is very likely that the Poles took full advantage of what the Germans left behind in 1918 and they retained some facilities that could be used for small arms repair (the HZa was used for artillery repair).

Küstrin too was important throughout this period, an old fortress and throughout the republican era served as an important base for the Reichsheer (training the irregular forces and Black Reichswehr - old fortresses and training grounds were preferred locations for all illegal small arms activity 1918-1932, they probably had limited facilities throughout the period), I think late in WWII it was the scene of some important fighting, - being not far from Posen, probably the closest significant bastion to the west of Posen, it makes sense they would have chosen it. Besides, it must have been pretty obvious that the Bolsheviks would be make Küstrin a prime target, an old fortress on the Oder, the first stop to Berlin? Posen's inventory would be needed there very soon...

..I think late in WWII it was the scene of some important fighting

More great information and you are right of course. I had not realized just how true this was. Because of several reasons (natural bridgehead of the Oder, Allied bombings of it's rail yards and factories) it was nearly completely destroyed and never rebuilt.

Military Rifle Journal
Back