Third Party Press

Got a new bcd 4 rifle. Need some expert input about it. Any help much appreciated.

ac.louden

Got a new bcd 4 rifle. Need some info about it. Any help much appreciated.

Hey all! I picked up my first K98k last week. It has been at the gunsmith getting checked over. When I first brought it home and function checked it, it would not extract cartridges from the chamber. The gunsmith diagnosed the issue as a broken extractor and replaced it, checked the headspace and overall function and test fired it. No problems. I understand from one of the guys at the gun store that this was a G.I. bing back and knows the family. I plan on contacting them to see if I can get some history on the rifle. I took it to the range today and fired 40 rounds, no misfires or malfunctions and the rifle is dead on accurate.

From what I can tell, the rifle has not been modified. Of course I need to try to get some info from the family who put the gun on consignment at the store. But.. I am so far very pleased with my purchase. I have attached some photos for you all to look at. The barrel, receiver and bolt group all seem to match. The stock has not been sanded or duffel cut. The only rust I found was very minimal surface oxidation on the front barrel band and the butt plate. No where else. I have removed it using oil, a copper penny (pre 1980) and a soft brass brush.. I polished the butt plate with Flitz and lightly polished the front barrel band with Flitz as well to stop the oxidation. Not too much though. Flitz is safe for hot blued metal but not cold blued. Since I don't know how the barrel band is blued I was real careful.

I appreciate anything you all can tell me about the rifle. There is a strange mark on the right side of the receiver. It is some sort of a triangular symbol. Thanks for looking and all your input.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• IMG_0816_.jpg
    IMG_0816_.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0817_.jpg
    IMG_0817_.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0818_.jpg
    IMG_0818_.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0819_.jpg
    IMG_0819_.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0820_.jpg
    IMG_0820_.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0821_.jpg
    IMG_0821_.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0822_.jpg
    IMG_0822_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0823_.jpg
    IMG_0823_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0824_.jpg
    IMG_0824_.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0826_.jpg
    IMG_0826_.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0828_.jpg
    IMG_0828_.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I would not do anything to the metal finish on this rifle its phosphate not bluing. Anyone who has ever tried to touch phosphate has ruined the color if I see it with light oxidation I just wipe it with an oily rag. That mark your referring too is for astrawerke a major receiver supplier to Gustloff-Werke. In all honesty I wouldn't even call this maker a manufacturer. They pretty much just assembled these rifles from parts and components supplied by many different subcontractors. In my opinion that is what makes this firm so interesting to study.

Also wanted to add your rifle was made late in 1944 by the serial number range. I also find the upper barrel band pretty interesting leftover Imperial era made part used in production perhaps?

Looks like Sauer made barrel too.

Last edited:
STOP! Don't do anything to it. Especially the stock.

Flitz is bad, it is an abrasive.

That "oxidization" is patina, and that needs to stay on the rifle to preserve value.

Nice rifle, and welcome!

Jeff

Jordan is correct on both points. Great dual tone finishes here (blue and phosphate) and it would be a shame to f them up. Easy on any cleaning please! In your first photo you'll see a lower case l (Astrawerke code) followed by e/1 or eagle over a one which was the inspection group for that area. Whoever struck that got a little over zealous and planted the stamp base in the metal. That same e/1 not struck so hard can be seen in pic #7 following the lower case I (Elite Diamant code)

There's a dual tone made 10k+ earlier than yours in the pic stickie that also has the receiver acceptance pounded in like this

Last edited:
Back to the OP, you should find lower case letters all over this thing. If you get a chance maybe post them up?

Additional pics and follow up

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input... Even the freaking out. LOL... and I appreciate that too... Let's me know there is a real interest in what I am working with and doing. Just to clarify... I did not do anything with Flitz on the phosphate surfaces.. I had already done what was suggested.. wiped down with oil.... The only part I have polished is the butt plate to remove a little bit of surface rust on it. On the barrel band, I just took off the surface rust with oil and a soft brass brush. All I did with Flitz on the barrel band was to dab on a tiny bit then just wiped it off. No polishing. I guess I could have used oil there too but I thought the rust inhibiting properties of the Flitz would be longer lasting... Either way, I will heed the advice of the experienced folks and not use that on the rifle anymore. I have not touched the stock at all or any other parts to "improve" the appearance. The stock has the markings ( C and an H) from what I could discern. From additional research I have done, that would mean the this rifle was issued to the German regular army. Not the SS or other specialized groups. Is that correct?

I did find additional letters and numbers on other parts of the rifle as suggested. I have attached those pics for corrections and additional info. The veteran who brought the gun back from Europe put his name on the stock and on the magazine floor plate. You might make that out on the floor plate. The name on the stock is partially worn off which suggests it is not burned or otherwise etched in the wood.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0831_.jpg
    IMG_0831_.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0832_.jpg
    IMG_0832_.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0834_.jpg
    IMG_0834_.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0835_.jpg
    IMG_0835_.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0836_.jpg
    IMG_0836_.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0838_.jpg
    IMG_0838_.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0839_.jpg
    IMG_0839_.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0840_.jpg
    IMG_0840_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I tried to reply to your PM and email, but it says you can't receive PMs, maybe because of low post count.

What specifically are you wanting to know about your rifle?

Jeff

Question about this rifle basd on pics in this post and place of origina

I tried to reply to your PM and email, but it says you can't receive PMs, maybe because of low post count.

What specifically are you wanting to know about your rifle?

Jeff

Ok.. An observation of the front barrel band was made earlier in this thread. The front band is marked with Imperial period not Nazi period markings. Also, given the rifle was produced at the Gustloff Werke facility in 1944 from parts supplied from many different manufacturers, it may be possible the part is original to the rifle regardless of the discrepancy. Pulled from a part bin and used in assembly perhaps. I wanted to know what you all think of that? The rifle appears all original otherwise which is why I am asking the question.

Thanks folks!
ACL

IMHO no.. but better pictures of the bands true color and underneath the band, what the Bayo lug surface looks like may help. Does it happen? Certainly, but most (doesn’t mean all) reused G98 parts I’ve seen have been refinished at their time of usage on latewar rifles. I’ll grab a picture of some of mine for reference.

Ok.. An observation of the front barrel band was made earlier in this thread. The front band is marked with Imperial period not Nazi period markings. Also, given the rifle was produced at the Gustloff Werke facility in 1944 from parts supplied from many different manufacturers, it may be possible the part is original to the rifle regardless of the discrepancy. Pulled from a part bin and used in assembly perhaps. I wanted to know what you all think of that? The rifle appears all original otherwise which is why I am asking the question.

Thanks folks!
ACL

Far more likely that some postwar owner wanted a milled upper band rather than the original stamped piece.

Far more likely that some postwar owner wanted a milled upper band rather than the original stamped piece.

I agree. While I see imperial marked small parts on some late war rifles (such as dou, dot and byf) I've yet to see an imperial band used on any late rifle like this. The imperial parts that do show up on late 98k's is usually from depot stores evacuated from the east, and usually they show up in a certain time period/ range. Something like this is pretty far out there, BUT - never say never. For what it's worth, I'd just leave it be as it will be tough to find the exact right front band anyway. Nice rifles, dual tone bcd4 rifles like this are actually hard to find (blued bolt/phosphate action). I've never had the chance to buy one.

Here are some of my imperial parts.

Attachments

• 02B71334-63D9-4CB6-BD1C-84297CC9AA9D.jpg
    02B71334-63D9-4CB6-BD1C-84297CC9AA9D.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 22
  • CF1BA236-F2AC-4AD3-8D42-1E04884FFA8B.jpg
    CF1BA236-F2AC-4AD3-8D42-1E04884FFA8B.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 26

Military Rifle Journal
Back