Third Party Press

1902 Colonial service Erfurt Gew98

Warrior1354

ax - hole
It turns out Rock Island auction company has one of these rifles that are coming up for sale. Unfortunately from the very few pictures I was able to get from them it's mismatched and in poor condition. But it's stock disc is marked for Colonial service so I thought it's research could be important here. Still trying to get more but the way they've been sending me pictures of stuff and not answering my questions kind of doesn't peak my interest.

Attachments

• 2472B (4).JPG
    2472B (4).JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 2472B (5).JPG
    2472B (5).JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 2472B (9).JPG
    2472B (9).JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 2472B (8).JPG
    2472B (8).JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 2472B (10).JPG
    2472B (10).JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 2472B (1).JPG
    2472B (1).JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 124
Although the unit marking is a considerable distance from the only other known Erfurt/02 KS, the manner of the bolt and general appearance fit well. So far, only one Erfurt is known to have entered colonial service, a rifle in wonderful condition (apparently) but still much a mystery due to the secretive nature of its owner.

I believe it was brought up on this forum back in 2012, but we know very little about it really, probably in South Africa or Australia like most of these are, but unfortunately the suffix range is not known. This 9925/e is probably closely related, but are we sure the stock matches?

If the stock is matching, along with the bolt, this would be a pretty desirable rifle. Craig Brown would have loved to see it, probably would have tried to acquire it...

Attachments

• Mouser.jpg
    Mouser.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Mouser1.jpg
    Mouser1.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Mouser2.jpg
    Mouser2.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Mouser3.jpg
    Mouser3.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 57
He deserves a free waffle in this case, this is my area of specialty and I "disparaged" the rifles "KS" potential. The vast majority of KS rifles are Spandau made, most KM's are DWM, Erfurt figures in both but very rarely (one in this case, now two, and I think like one or two examples in KM)

Mike made a good call on this one, at least so far as we currently know. See if you can confirm the stock matches?

What you want a free Waffen house breakfast for it lol!

Well, to be fair I only said it was possibly colonial due to the stock, at least the stock is colonial. I'm not an expert, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once. And yes Jordan, you have to buy me a waffle.

I emailed them again for more and will see what happens. They have been good too me so far. I did want too add that this rifle still has the original 200 meter sight base so thats another plus. I'll be honest this is one auction I wish I could attend just too see some of these Gew98 rifles being auction.

Lost this rifle by $100 and I'm even know what it says on the stock disc. I have known it's been a colonial model for the last month.

Lost this rifle by $100 and I'm even know what it says on the stock disc. I have known it's been a colonial model for the last month.

That sucks I did ask for more pictures but never got them. Guess they got tired of me asking! Rifles like this I would rather be there in person bidding then from a computer.

Well at least we got some better pictures of it and its listed as all matching. Out of all the people that got that rifle it had too be Fat Scotty. A guy that cares nothing about history, research, or collector interest in these rifles. Only for profit and big flips. The worse kind of individual.

The deals I have seen him do at shows. And then bragging about how he screwed someone on a deal too flip for big money. Not the kind of person I would do business with.

Well at least we got some better pictures of it and its listed as all matching. Out of all the people that got that rifle it had too be Fat Scotty. A guy that cares nothing about history, research, or collector interest in these rifles. Only for profit and big flips. The worse kind of individual.

The deals I have seen him do at shows. And then bragging about how he screwed someone on a deal too flip for big money. Not the kind of person I would do business with.
I hope they sit on it for some time to come.

Military Rifle Journal
Back