Third Party Press

Thread: Question about Hirtenberger 8mm ammo

Default Question about Hirtenberger 8mm ammo

Hello, folks,

I wanted to post some questions about some 1983 production 8mm Hirtenberger ball ammo I have, which seems hot and was making the bolt stick on my RC Sauer and Son CE 42 rifle. That was probably 10 years ago, and I just put it aside and marked it as "hot". I know someone here will know about this ammo. Curiously the new production Yugo ammo I also had used did not exhibit any issues. I'm wondering if the stuff is bad enough that I should pull the bullets and just recharge it with new powder.

I tried posting my questions on the Gunboards forum, because they had an "Ammo Bunker" section, but have gotten no substantive replies.

I was wondering if there is a place here to post such an inquiry?

here is the link:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-how-hot-is-it

I'd appreciate any help you can provide with this.

Regards,

Andy

Link won't work.

Sorry. Not sure what I did there.

Here's the original post:

I was wondering about some Hirtenberger 8x57IS surplus ball which I have.

The headstamp is "83 * 8x57 JS *".

I remember that the last time I fired some, it was causing the bolt on my RC Sauer & Sons "ce 42" K98k to stick, something which did not occur with any of the other ammo I had at the time. Extracting the cases was a noticeable chore, which caused me at the time to conclude that the ammo was quite hot. I did not know enough at the time to examine the cases and primers, but I may have some of the brass stashed away.

I've read a number of things about this ammo, but is there any consensus as to whom it was made for, and whether it is hot enough to be unsafe? I've heard some say that the powder has not aged well, which has caused the pressure to spike.

Hoping to hear some opinions. It'd be great if someone has actually tested this stuff, too.

If it's needed, I could dig some out and take photos. I'm guessing I got it from Samco, but honestly, I don't remember.
    Last edited by Ole P.A. #14; 06-18-2018 at 12:38 AM.