Third Party Press

98k dark Stock finish/stain?

Alter Hase

Most 98ks I've seen have the typical orange-ish color to them. I have experience with stripping the cruddy thick finish of Russian capture rifles and refinishing them in a more appropriate shade. However, every once and a while I encounter a 98k that is a dark shade, and not just Russian capture. Usually these seem to be solid walnut stocks, sometimes with Weimar markings, sometimes with nazi. However I also have one Russia capture early style laminated stock that once the Russian finish was removed it is still quite dark, almost chocolate. I am wondering if that was not the original finish? I have been looking but have not found much info on the different stains that may have been used by different factories in different eras. Usually the references I have just talk about polishing. The stock is on a 1940 J P Sauer but being a RC I it is original to the rifle. I have been holding off doing anything with this rifle until I figure it out.

I’ve seen many shades of beech used in the stocks, some even darker brown. Probably either that or just dirty from whatever was used in the stock. Most factories sealed stocks and some stained, but I think most color in the stocks comes from age and oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the original laminated stocks were later unfinished, or had the reddish stain you mention. The Portuguese contract byf 41 that I have in my collection has a walnut stock. The rifle is in original factory fresh condition, never issued. There can be no doubt that the stock and handguard were stained and finished with care. You can see the shade of the stain used in my avatar. The finish is an even, dark brown, very smooth to the touch.

Dark Stocks

Another point on some of the late war stocks that show some obvious surface treatment.
IMO that some of these have been coated with Cosmolene by the returning GI...likely before it was shipped home.

As far as I know, the Germans did not use any dark reddish stain at any point in K98k production.
The primary stock treatment was linseed oil and other alternate sealers when there was a shortage of that product.

Linseed oil will oxidize over time resulting in a darker hue most evidenced by the darker laminate stocks from late 1937 onward.

Wouldn't the barrel channel or pulling the buttplate give you the answer as to whether the stock was stained? I also have read that during shortages of sealers on the front lines the German soldier would try to waterproof his Mauser's stock with all sorts of stuff, even dirty motor oil.

stain

I think the original laminated stocks were later unfinished, or had the reddish stain you mention. The Portuguese contract byf 41 that I have in my collection has a walnut stock. The rifle is in original factory fresh condition, never issued. There can be no doubt that the stock and handguard were stained and finished with care. You can see the shade of the stain used in my avatar. The finish is an even, dark brown, very smooth to the touch.

TSMGGUY, It is very much the color of your avatar, but looking inside as Sheepdog suggested it is lighter, and more orange-ish, BUT still darker than any of the others I own.

MVFARB-Thanks, that makes me feel better about it.

I guess I'll just try and clean it a bit more then put a sealant on it. I'm notsure much more can be done, and it may be this color intentionally.

Bruce98k-I've been using linseed, and I will put that on this one.

Thanks for the info guys!

Just a warning, today's boiled linseed oil has a cobalt based drier in it and can get varnish like if applied too thick or if coats are built up. If you really have to apply oil thin the stuff liberally with mineral spirits or pure gum turpentine for the first coat. Buff it heavily an hour after application. If using raw linseed oil hang the stock in the sun during a hot, dry week. Careful with extra coats, they do tend to build up. I thin every coat for this reason, some don't.

Just a warning, today's boiled linseed oil has a cobalt based drier in it and can get varnish like if applied too thick or if coats are built up. If you really have to apply oil thin the stuff liberally with mineral spirits or pure gum turpentine for the first coat. Buff it heavily an hour after application. If using raw linseed oil hang the stock in the sun during a hot, dry week. Careful with extra coats, they do tend to build up. I thin every coat for this reason, some don't.

Thanks Sheepdog, I will look to do that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back