Third Party Press

BSW 317k

Parkerswede

Hi All: First post here. I just received a BSW 317k from an auction held a couple of months ago. Serial number is 157 382. Description was poor/fair with fair bore that was pitted. Its a strong very good. Bore was just dirty. Immaculate after about 10 patches through it. Get lucky sometimes. Very little information seem to be out there so anything you have would be appreciated. Left side of receiver is stamped "Made in Germany". Sounds like an export gun perhaps. Thanks. dj

Welcome Dana!!!!!

Good to have the author of "Crown Jewels" aboard here! Sits among my most cherished and appreciated references.

Sounds like a nice piece you got there. Yes many of these were made for export with the line share going to Sweden due to the politics of the era.

If you don't have a copy of "Third Reich Trainers" yet will send you one gratis for all the enjoyment and valuable information you assembled there with some serious hard work and research.

Email me direct at: kkmauser@aol.com

Good Collecting!!! Jim Whitley

Last edited:
Both the 317 and the Präzisions-Karabiner were commercial-only models originally designed by Simson, and both were produced in batches for inventory through the 1930's and the war. Thus, you will see them with the Simson, BSW, or even Gustloff receiver markings. A very large number of the 317s in particular were sold as export to Sweden, so it is quite common to see the "Made in Germany" marking on them. Some were doubtless used in marksmanship training during this era, although I cannot recall ever seeing one with a property mark (SA, Hitler Youth, or other organization) as a proven example of such use. There is at least one known example which exhibits the rare "Waffa" address line and BSW receiver logo, which places it definitely into a narrow window of time in late 1933. Yours was finished for sale about three years after that, judging by the serial number. All of the factory's small bore rifles were numbered chronologically as produced in one single serial numbering range. Below is a rare ad for the Simson rifles from the Waffa time period. Hope that helps.
Steve

simson 317 et al Waffa.jpg

Almost forgot to mention: As shown in the ad below (page from an AKAH catalog), the 317 was also offered with an optional wing-type safety for a small additional charge.
Steve

Simson 317 AKAH.jpg

Hi All: First post here. I just received a BSW 317k from an auction held a couple of months ago. Serial number is 157 382. Description was poor/fair with fair bore that was pitted. Its a strong very good. Bore was just dirty. Immaculate after about 10 patches through it. Get lucky sometimes. Very little information seem to be out there so anything you have would be appreciated. Left side of receiver is stamped "Made in Germany". Sounds like an export gun perhaps. Thanks. dj

9CyM5g3.jpg

2rmDjzs.jpg

wgyTsx0.jpg

glzOpCS.jpg

11VxfTS.jpg

mXFdpiJ.jpg

Bsm kal22 floss stahl krupp essn

I have an above referenced rifle with the receiver marked mod.w625 with something after the 5. Photos attached. Photo of the two guns is there for comparison, it's in comparison as to how much alike my little BSW looks to my 1936 K98. Stocks are different in length, is this a conversion or was it built like this. What do I have here? Thanks, Randall5858

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_E1088.jpg
    IMG_E1088.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 28
that is a late version w625c these were the last 625's made and fall in line with that and serial range in the 190,000 just before the kkw's were made. There is a small amount of overlap also. Most of these I have seen are police marked. look down on the heel of the stock. may see a very small eagle/L most have it.

This seems like a nice example. Sling isn't correct. Looks to have a k98k type sling.

it shares nothing with a 617k and should be in its own thread.

That's typical of all these trainers have an S stamped on the stock there. Even the kkw's have it. Some sort of inspectors mark. The eagle/L would be further down on the stock if its there.
A large amount do have the police mark. Some don't.

Military Rifle Journal
Back