Third Party Press

Polish mobilization bayonet 1939

Rittmeister

Visited a nice lady last night. She is selling militaria for her father, and sold me a couple of bayonets. Here is one of them : This is a polish bayonet reworked and used by the germans in Norway during WW2. Both scabbard and blade is stamped WaA77. The frog is a mid/late war for s84/98 bayonet.
In fact, I had this bayonet in the collection from earlier, but two is better than one:happy0180:

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for comments! Yes, this is my favorite among the bayonets captured by the wehrmacht. Very sturdy and nice bayonet.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful bayonet in a variation I did not know existed until today!

I neglected to mention it before, but I'm a little surprised that the Germans did not modify the scabbard by moving the tension(?) screw from the middle to the side. I have a modified Perkun bayonet that shows this alteration. I'm guessing that it wasn't a priority, or that this one was inspected and released for issue before any orders detailing the alterations for captured bayonets (1942, if I recall).

Pat

Mostly captured in Radom work production line and proofed there WaA77 with removed barell ring by Germans. b.r.Andy

Mostly captured in Radom work production line and proofed there WaA77 with removed barell ring by Germans. b.r.Andy

Thanks Andy! This one made it out the door before the Germans arrived. 1939 with barrel ring.jpg How rare are these Germanized versions?

I neglected to mention it before, but I'm a little surprised that the Germans did not modify the scabbard by moving the tension(?) screw from the middle to the side. I have a modified Perkun bayonet that shows this alteration. I'm guessing that it wasn't a priority, or that this one was inspected and released for issue before any orders detailing the alterations for captured bayonets (1942, if I recall). Pat

I think this is a good appraisal. Some of the E/77 ones have the throat screw moved to the side & old rivet ground flush & others do not. Same w/the Polish bayonets modified by directive in the field:

Attachments

• SG29p.JPG
    SG29p.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 21
The unreworked original polish configuration are scarce as germans captured the majority of pieces. They were partly reworked in Radom, and proofed by E/77 or older production polish proofed with D2 in circle and reworked by germans in divisional depots in later period? b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back