Third Party Press

SS M43 EM Field Cap w/ Two Piece Insignia

Steve87

Big Sexy Steve (not gay)
Hi,

I recently decided to pull the trigger and pick up this nice late war SS M43 cap I've been eyeing on a friends dealer site for a while. I'm usually hesitant with SS caps but felt this one is a genuine SS contract cap with what appears to be originally applied insignia. It's nicely marked without any damage and shows some wear. Hope you will enjoy it as much as me, I've been taking it out to look at a lot since it showed up.

Regards,
-Steve

Attachments

• HAB_1682.jpg
    HAB_1682.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 112
  • HAB_1683.jpg
    HAB_1683.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 94
  • HAB_1686.jpg
    HAB_1686.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 70
  • HAB_1688.jpg
    HAB_1688.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 99
  • HAB_1690.jpg
    HAB_1690.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 77
  • HAB_1691.jpg
    HAB_1691.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 75
Two questions please.
Dark blue Luftwaffe buttons on a field grey cap??
Inside well worn, but the visor as new??

PS: how do you usually put on, or take off a cap like this one? Grab it on the visor. There is not a single finger print that I can make out.
and I don't like the markings!

Only my thoughts.
I'm not a WWII collector at all.

Last edited:
I don’t collect these either, but what condition is the wool under the side flaps? Same as the rest of the hat? I ask because people make these M43’s from original greatcoats and I would think the wool under the flaps should be nicer than the rest of the hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Construction is consistent with my other M43 caps.

Yes, you do need to watch for the caps made of recycled material. They wool shows what you would expect on a worn cap, and while there is more grease inside the cap from hair products (usually the case) the brim shows more dirtiness than you may be able to see in the photos. The construction style is SS with a few little differences compared to most of the Heer caps I own.

Cheers,
-Steve

I don’t know anything about them, but it’s sweet looking. I can’t wait to try it on next time I’m up. Haha

I've only had a couple of the m43 Luft and Army that looks like one of the Dachau made ones I read on another forum can't remember but the underside visor was just like yours and that was their verdict I like it. timothy

Thanks guys!

Posted this one on GHW2 as well where most the cap guys hang out. I love M43 caps, will slowly post more as time permits just don't want to flood the forum. I have a lot of them photographed on my website as well.

-Steve

Thanks guys!

Posted this one on GHW2 as well where most the cap guys hang out. I love M43 caps, will slowly post more as time permits just don't want to flood the forum. I have a lot of them photographed on my website as well.

-Steve

Did they (@ GWH2) have an explanation for the most unusual markings?
Thanks
Wolfgang

Did they (@ GWH2) have an explanation for the most unusual markings?
Thanks
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

The marks would be unusual in a Heer M43 cap, however in SS caps those markings are thought to be the SS contract number and size markings, which appear consistently in original SS caps. SS contract caps are also often missing the rear seem, which is the case with this one as well.

Cheers,
-Steve

Military Rifle Journal
Back