Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German modified Yugoslav Model 1924b rifle

Default German modified Yugoslav Model 1924B rifle

I have a number of Yugoslav Model 1924 variants that were captured/modified by German forces, but have been on the hunt for a modified Model 1924b for years. I'd never even seen photos of one until I spotted this one at auction. The Model 1924b was one of the interwar conversions carried out by the Yugoslavs in an attempt (largely successful) to bring their stocks of foreign rifles up to the Model 1924 standard by retrofitting them with Model 1924 profile barrels and front and rear sights. This was done on the M95M, the M90T, the 1899C, 1910C, M03T and the Model 1924b. The 1924b was a converted and shortened Gewehr 98, with many German parts retained, such as the barrel bands, bayonet lug, trigger guard/assembly/floor plate, stock, butt plate, bolt release, bolt and even the receiver.

This one retains all of the expected Gewhr 98 attributes, but with re-numbered or even foreign parts. For example, the cocking piece and the front barrel band are both from Czech rifles, but were numbered to match this rifle. The stock is from an earlier Gewehr 98. It lacks the grasping grooves but still has the stock disc and the remains of Imperial stamps and the 'B' (Beech) stamp on the right side of the butt stock. At some point the rifle was captured and had the bolt blued, and several parts numbered to match the (Yugoslav) serial number on the receiver. Re-numbered parts include both barrel bands, the stock, butt plate, rear sight leaf, bolt assembly and magazine follower. There is even a WaA63 trigger group that was used on this. I rarely see Nazi German made parts used on captured Yugoslav rifles, as they're typically cannibalized from other Yugoslav rifles. The re-numbering is a mix of stamped and vibro-penned/electro-penciling, which is usually associated with the Mainz depot. There are no apparent depot stamps on this one, which begs some questions regarding how many captured rifles actually went through the established and well-known depots, and how many received service in theater via smaller facilities or mobile repair units.

One of the best surprises on this was the sling, a real-deal, pre-war Yugoslav issue item. These are vaporware, and are rarely encountered. This one is in surprisingly great shape and even has it's metal adjustment fastener. I'm flabbergasted that the sling survived intact, in such great shape, and kept all of its elements.

Pat

Last edited by Pat; 06-28-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Default German modified Yugoslav Model 1924B rifle

More photos-

Last edited by Pat; 06-28-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

That is really awesome! Never saw an example of one of those before!

The sling is really cool too....again, certainly not something you see everyday, good score, congrats!

Probably should get pic stickied!

ETA...if someone would only do an entire book on Beutewaffen... ;)

I like it too. Thread stickied. Thanks for posting it.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Congrats! I like the mix of ep'd and stamped numbered parts...Pretty rare rifle to find on it's own, let alone German used...

Wow I really screwed up. I saw this rifle and didn't bid on it. Congrats!

Really cool example to have of a German mod man they struck that barrel band s/n hard!

Nice one! I like the etching/EP

Great find Pat! That original sling is a very nice bonus. M1924b's don't show up often, and I think I can count on one hand how many surviving examples of that sling I've seen posted in present day photos of pre-war Yugoslav rifles.

Thanks all. The extent of the re-numbering surprised me, it's something more typically seen from the large depots.

Flynaked- I agree, it was definitely struck with a lot of force. That and another part had been pulled from a Czech rifle and re-numbered over the previous German number that had been marked on them.

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.