Third Party Press

Amberg Kar98 1911

NobodySpecial

Registered
My old man just gave me the first rifle he ever bought. It's an all matching numbers 1911 Amberg Kar98. When he bought the rifle it was already in a monte carlo sporter stock.
It shot high so he took it to a gunsmith who promptly ruined it by replacing the front sight post with one that has a brass bead. Neither one of them realized that it was the
stock that caused it to shoot high. You can't get your head down low enough to properly line the sights up because of the monte carlo stock and the raised cheek piece.
I hope you can give me the information I need to get this thing shootable again.

1. Which stock or stocks will fit? I would prefer an original style stock, but if a stock from a later model works I'd be ok with that. The stock can be new production too, it
doesn't have to be surplus vintage.

2. Where can I find a front sight?

3. Which ammo is safe to use in it? I understand that in 1905 they switched from a .318 diameter bullet to .323 so being made six years after I'd hope that I can use the full
power loads and not the lame downloaded stuff. The receiver is simply marked "7.9".

4. It is a small ring or large ring? The only really good picture I've found online leads me to believe it's a small ring.

5. Is it a 98a or 98b or neither? It's just marked "Kar 98".

You can find stocks. It’s a small ring receiver, Kar98a is the proper designation since after WW1, and it shoots normal 8mm. There is a Polish guy that makes repro stocks, maybe others have some ideas.

If you do an eBay search for kar98a there is a front sight for $15 and a different maker repro stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back