Third Party Press

FG42 semi

Titan

Hey guys, I was wondering how good the SMG 8mm FG42s function? Do they feed, fire, and eject correctly??
Thanks, Titan

400 rounds with 3 f2f but that was found to be a single mag. Other two mags have been flawless. I posted the data for a potential buyer because Wilhelm was having trouble with his so it’s a data point. Mine has some of the improved parts so I haven’t had his issues, and I believe he’s resolved the issues he was having as well.

Last edited:
Some of the early ones (including the one I own) had problems, Rick fixed them under warranty. I suspect the new ones are good as gold.

After repair my FG42 has been flawless. :thumbsup:

I had a few fte’s the first few hundred rounds. It was from the first batch. It’s been flawless the last 500 or so. I think it just had to be “broken in.”

Attachments

• 285816F8-A674-4B42-A033-7D1228AE57C0.jpg
    285816F8-A674-4B42-A033-7D1228AE57C0.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 94
That looks to be an original stock.
Yes original stock and couple other things. I grinded some more detail into the receiver and finished the rifle mismatched phosphate.

Attachments

• C09102CA-1E54-4252-A5A9-67B74342AD40.jpg
    C09102CA-1E54-4252-A5A9-67B74342AD40.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 63A51EEE-3931-4162-BADA-523BA8A08D14.jpg
    63A51EEE-3931-4162-BADA-523BA8A08D14.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 91
From my research, it seems like these are very high quality, Thanks for all the replys!!!!!

I did want to ask, are these rifles picky with ammo??? Has anyone shot the 70s/80s Romanian Surplus ammo?
Thanks, Titan??

I know Ian of forgotten weapons did, he mentioned it was fine. Turkish surplus blew one up due to the overpressure. For that reason Rick will void the warranty if commercial ammo is not used - thus I used PPU only.

I have shot FNM surplus (Portuguese) through mine almost exclusively with just a few rounds of Romanian mixed in. Both have worked well. NEVER, EVER RUN TURKISH THROUGH IT.

I did want to ask, are these rifles picky with ammo??? Has anyone shot the 70s/80s Romanian Surplus ammo?
Thanks, Titan??

Mines very ammo picky. I also clean the piss out of the gas plug and surrounding area, but this seems like something I really shouldn't have to do as often as I am. I have the best results with PPU FMJ Match ammo - (CHEAPER at $17.99 a box) and Federal Power Shok - (EXPENSIVE as F' at $33 a box). I have run PPU soft points too, but that doesn't feed well due, I think, to the bullet tip catching while feeding - same problem with the Remington soft point. As such, I don't use soft point anymore, although initially I had great results. Sellier and Bellot ammo didn't work well at all, which really surprised me. I stay away from ALL steel case ammo. Any steel case I've tried wont feed or eject right and appears under powered, at least in my rifle. I have to play around with the gas setting (I have 3 positions in mine) to see what works best with each specific ammo manufacturer. I don't run milsurp because I can't get any of it up here in Alaska except on rare occasions and it's mostly Yugo 1950s when it shows up. I have ran some reloads through it with few problems utilizing, from what my buddy told me, Hornady reloading data. The bolt runs super fast, which probably accounts for some of my stoppages, especially double feeds from what I was told, so I try to slow it down with the lowest gas setting whenever I can. Unfortunately, some ammo just simply won't work unless I use the highest gas setting. The older magazines are probably to blame, in part, for some of my FTE, FTF, and DFs as well. I picked up some German WW2 mags some time ago that appear to have decent springs and those work best next to the really nice one of the 2 mags. that were sent with the rifle. Overall, I love the rifle, but after shooting probably 1000 rounds through it now, I expected better. Unfortunately, you just can't grab a box of whatever brass case ammo 8mm Mauser off the shelf and hammer out a 20 round mag. without farting around with the gas setting and then, if it doesn't work well, throw it in the "F' it, I shoot it through my K98" pile. I've had mine down to Rick 2x now for work and it functions much better than it did at the 500 round count point. I just don't buy anything but the PPU FMJ Match anymore (when I can get it), but I would like to try some Romanian milsurp through it at least once.

Last edited:
My early SMG FG42 runs with just about any good 7.92x57 ammo I feed it. I have used original Germany pre-WWII German ammo without a problem. Just need to clean good afterwards. Also used a lot of Rumanian ammo as I have for the MG34's. Rich makes a great gun. I have only had one misfire, primer issue, in at least 1000 rounds. I do keep it clean and oiled. Harry

Mines for sale

(SMG) FG42 in 8mm Mauser for sale $5,200 OBRO. Rifle is in 95% condition. White trigger and white gas block config. Around 600 or so rounds through it. Comes with the $300 hard case, video, sling, the 2 magazines provided by SMG and 4 other ZB magazines I purchased later - 2 of them original German WW2 mags. This rifle has been updated to include the 3 positional gas setting for different powered ammo types and has been upgraded by Rick and his crew. Rifle likes PPU and Federal Power Shock brands best.

YouTube video of the actual rifle being shot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmIKqAOU5w

Will throw in some 8mm Mauser PPU ammo if a local purchase is made. Will only ship to where this rifle is legal to own - my FFL to your FFL if out-of-state.

Call or text Doug at (907)-441-5785 if any questions. I'll post photos soon. Thanks for looking.

Dog

(SMG) FG42 in 8mm Mauser for sale $5,200 OBRO. Rifle is in 95% condition. White trigger and white gas block config. Around 600 or so rounds through it. Comes with the $300 hard case, video, sling, the 2 magazines provided by SMG and 4 other ZB magazines I purchased later - 2 of them original German WW2 mags. This rifle has been updated to include the 3 positional gas setting for different powered ammo types and has been upgraded by Rick and his crew. Rifle likes PPU and Federal Power Shock brands best.

YouTube video of the actual rifle being shot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmIKqAOU5w

Will throw in some 8mm Mauser PPU ammo if a local purchase is made. Will only ship to where this rifle is legal to own - my FFL to your FFL if out-of-state.

Call or text Doug at (907)-441-5785 if any questions. I'll post photos soon. Thanks for looking.

Dog

wow nice make a nice companion to my MP-44 and my STG-57 semi, I will call later tonight I will out of town deeer hunting till monday

Jack

Military Rifle Journal
Back