Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simson Gew.98b - Darn you, bubba!

As always, thank you very much! I especially appreciate the MRJ article. Good reading there and nice to have something to compare to. With there being so few survivors known, I now see why it's difficult to find much in regards to these. I either didn't know or had forgotten there is such a thing as a wide rear band with bottom mount provision. I now feel a little more encouraged this could be a legit alteration but I suspect we'll never know for sure, unless another pops up. That seems pretty unlikely and for all we know, this could've been a one-off conversion if it's even legit at all. I've never seen such a tall Mauser-style FSB but unfortunately it has no markings to offer any clues there. I will try and get more pics of the barrel contour.

Quote Originally Posted by BSchiebs View Post
    I was eyeing that and didn't have internet when the auction ended. Glad someone here got it at least. It's interesting to say the least.
    Thanks! It was too oddball for me to pass up! I expected it to really take off at the end but it didn't. The bore is pristine so I figure even if it was a bubba job, it would be a neat shooter if nothing else. The trigger was sticky but there was some dried up grease under the woodline and that was causing that to happen. I honestly doubt it's been shot anytime recently.

It's too bad the photos of the other rifles are unavailable. It would be interesting to see them. The front sight base looks to be similar to a Vz24 in height. I don't know how it would affect the rear sight accuracy with the barrel length change, but would expect a higher front sight to shoot lower than the original FS at any given range. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would seem reversed to me with a shorter barrel? In any case, an interesting variation!

I've not looked at the Vz.24 front sight but that's interesting if they're similar. There are no markings so the origins are ambiguous at best! I would tend to think the higher base would compensate for the shorter barrel and original RS but I might be figuring wrong! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsburg View Post
    Thanks! It was too oddball for me to pass up! I expected it to really take off at the end but it didn't. The bore is pristine so I figure even if it was a bubba job, it would be a neat shooter if nothing else. The trigger was sticky but there was some dried up grease under the woodline and that was causing that to happen. I honestly doubt it's been shot anytime recently.
    Dang it. Well, if you ever decide to offload it, for any reason, think of me! For now enjoy, it's awesome for the Simson bits. Even if it turns out the conversion is unoriginal. (Hopefully it's original)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thatís a sweet rifle Danny Iíll be honest, I was confused when you first mentioned it, first I have seen!

Quote Originally Posted by BSchiebs View Post
    Dang it. Well, if you ever decide to offload it, for any reason, think of me! For now enjoy, it's awesome for the Simson bits. Even if it turns out the conversion is unoriginal. (Hopefully it's original)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I certainly will! Like I said, I'd be surprised if it can ever be determined with certainly the nature of the conversion. I bought it with the expectation is was likely bubba'd, but if it later turns out it's a period-done alteration, then that's icing on the cake! I hope it is, but even being the hacked up remnants of such a hard to find rifle is okay too! It's a novelty if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Thatís a sweet rifle Danny Iíll be honest, I was confused when you first mentioned it, first I have seen!
    Hahaha! Thank you, Clay! You have a knack for sniffing out the cool stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if one falls in your lap sometime!