Third Party Press

GSU’s G41 woes thread.

GSU

As far as the firing pin, firing pin extension, extractor, and the recoil springs.

Do they interchange?

Yes, they do.

Locking lugs interchange (although not recommended), sliding dust covers interchange and recoil spring guides.

Last edited:
G41W Follower Binding

While on my search for a G43 bolt carrier, I came across a G41W at a price I couldn't say no to.

Took it apart to give it a good cleaning and snugged up the trigger guard screws. The follower was binding at the rear top and wouldn't engage the bolt hold open.

I loosened the front triggerguard screw 1/4 turn to the previous detent hole and the follower popped up into place. The screw is still snug, but obviously can go another 1/4 turn before stopping fully.

It's likely due to the mismatch magazine body.

Last edited:
Should I be worried about this small crack/split in the firing pin housing?

The firing pin housing on my G41 has what looks to be a very small vertical (length wise) crack/split in the rear bottom of the firing pin housing where it is very thin.

Maybe about 1mm long, didn't even notice it at first.

Nothing visible on the top or sides, only on the bottom very thin side.

I circled the location.

Should I be worried about it, or nothing to be concerned about?

Attachments

• pix257587328.jpg
    pix257587328.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 60
  • pix855379349.jpg
    pix855379349.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 65
The firing pin housing on my G41 has what looks to be a very small vertical (length wise) crack/split in the rear bottom of the firing pin housing where it is very thin.

Maybe about 1mm long, didn't even notice it at first.

Nothing visible on the top or sides, only on the bottom very thin side.

I circled the location.

Should I be worried about it, or nothing to be concerned about?

If it's a matching rifle, replace the part and keep the original. If not, fire away.

If it's a matching rifle, replace the part and keep the original. If not, fire away.

Bolt Carrier Group is non-matching.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a serious problem before I take it out to test fire.

Figured out that the top of the magazine well had a burr that wasn't allowing the triggerguard to seat fully.

Removed the burr and was able to tighten the screw fully with no binding.

The mismatch magazine body had nothing to do with it.

Also, not sure why a lot of sources mention the magazine body is not removable without disassembling the rifle.

While not "easy" to remove, it is quite easy to do for cleaning purposes, and you don't have to disassemble the rifle to do so.

You simply push the flat spring up with a punch through the trigger guard, then pull the magazine body to the rear.

Bad news. G41W Firing Pin Carrier Broke

Took my new DUV G41W out to test, and on the 38th round, the firing pin carrier broke at the rear, where the retaining pin is, also losing the retaining pin in the process.

The bolt carrier group wasn't matching, so it isn't a huge loss, but still sucks.

Anyone got a replacement for sale?

A firing carrier breaking in rear is a very unusual occurrence. Please post pictures as there may be another problem.

A firing carrier breaking in rear is a very unusual occurrence. Please post pictures as there may be another problem.

Unable to get a picture right now, but pretty much that rear section of the firing pin carrier that I asked about with the small crack in the other thread broke off, dumping the firing pin and extension and jamming the action.

It split from the bottom, up to the hole for the retaining pin, and broke off.

Unable to get a picture right now, but pretty much that rear section of the firing pin carrier that I asked about with the small crack in the other thread broke off, dumping the firing pin and extension and jamming the action.

It split from the bottom, up to the hole for the retaining pin, and broke off.

I'm wondering if the firing pin extension hit the rim of the hole in the bolt housing and/or receiver, causing the firing pin housing to develop stress cracks over time. Replacing broken parts without knowing the reason for breakage is a waste of good parts, IMHO.

I'm wondering if the firing pin extension hit the rim of the hole in the bolt housing and/or receiver, causing the firing pin housing to develop stress cracks over time. Replacing broken parts without knowing the reason for breakage is a waste of good parts, IMHO.

I didn't see any marks in the hole on the bolt housing or receiver that would indicate it was hitting.

Well, to give an update on this.

Got a replacement firing pin carrier, with a second complete bolt coming from tbied2.

Was assembling it and noticed the disassembly button could be pressed in when the safety is on fire.

Looked closer and turns out there's a piece broken on the safety. Not sure if it was like that before as I don't remember.

Talked to tbied2 and luckily he has a replacement safety lever.

Last edited:
Well, to give an update on this.

Got a replacement firing pin carrier, with a second complete bolt coming from tbied2.

Was assembling it and noticed the disassembly button could be pressed in when the safety is on fire.

Looked closer and turns out there's a piece broken on the safety. Not sure if it was like that before as I don't remember.

Talked to tbied2 and luckily he has a replacement safety lever.

I have a spare FP carrier but since you got one from Terrill I'll just hold on to mine.

I have a spare FP carrier but since you got one from Terrill I'll just hold on to mine.

All good, thank you for putting it out there though.

Terrill (tbied2) has been a god-send as far as fixing the rifle. His prices are more than fair, he has exactly what you need as far as the G41, and his shipping is very fast.

Military Rifle Journal
Back