Third Party Press

40 durkopp

Unutt

Everything about it says touched up, as is usually the case with this seller, but I am pretty sure it is an original matched 40 Durkopp. It definitely has not been sharpened.

Attachments

• 40durkopp5430a.jpg
    40durkopp5430a.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 40durkopp5430b.jpg
    40durkopp5430b.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 40durkopp5430c.jpg
    40durkopp5430c.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 37
  • 40durkopp5430d.jpg
    40durkopp5430d.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 33
  • 40durkopp5430e.jpg
    40durkopp5430e.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 33
  • 40durkopp5430f.jpg
    40durkopp5430f.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 40durkopp5430g.jpg
    40durkopp5430g.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 40durkopp5430h.jpg
    40durkopp5430h.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 50
  • 40durkopp5430i.jpg
    40durkopp5430i.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 55
What parts look “touched up”? Interesting that the serial number is not centered but more on the left side but the area around the number does not look touched up to me. Are there other in this block that have the number to the left? Looks like a nice bayonet. I just picked up three bayonets myself at the Allentown Show.

touched up

What parts look “touched up”? Interesting that the serial number is not centered but more on the left side but the area around the number does not look touched up to me. Are there other in this block that have the number to the left? Looks like a nice bayonet. I just picked up three bayonets myself at the Allentown Show.

I bought this from an ebay seller that makes me nervous. I will message anyone that wants to know his user, but I would rather not post it. I returned one to him a year or so back because it had been sharpened, and and reworked to look original. His auction stated in no uncertain terms it had not been sharpened. He reposted it on eBay, and failed to mention again that it had been sharpened and reblued. Unfortunately, someone on this forum bought it when he reposted it.

All of his bayonets look exactly the same. All the same color, all with markings whitened to highlight them.

In this case, I suspect immediately that the rifle lock has been replaced / reblued.

Again, I knew all that before I bid and did so accordingly. Luckily, everyone else did the same.

What did you pick up? Pictures?

Last edited:
Yes it looks like a nice Durkopp, the moving of serials to side out of fuller is typical for this maker, what is on pommel proofs, the locking nut could be replacement, should be looked to serial numbers or assembly nr., possible the blueing on partly blade and crossguard was revived. Looks like it were removed the screws. b.r.Andy

I believe Durkopp moved the serial number to the left on the bayonet in order to accommodate the unusual positioning of the letter block suffix. The characters look hand-applied. It also seems Durkopp liked that V-shaped area between the beveled blade and end of the fuller in which to stamp the letter block. They put it in a location unique to Durkopp and further away from the serial number than any other contractor of the S84/98 T3. Both of the bayonets below are Durkopp|38 examples. One is a German refinish & the other original finish. I could not decide if I should get rid of the refurb or not, so still have them both.

Forgot to add, even though the two DK's pictured are relatively close serial# wise, note the fuller is closer to the cross guard on the first bayonet but farther away on the bayonet to the right. This might not be an uncommon trait and another reason why the serial numbers were shifted towards the beveled edge and suffix letter stamped where it is. Lastly, my experience is when one disassembles a later Durkopp, they are often devoid of markings on the components.

Attachments

• Durk38 8533g.JPG
    Durk38 8533g.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Durk38 582h.JPG
    Durk38 582h.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I believe Durkopp moved the serial number to the left on the bayonet in order to accommodate the unusual positioning of the letter block suffix. The characters look hand-applied. It also seems Durkopp liked that V-shaped area between the beveled blade and end of the fuller in which to stamp the letter block. They put it in a location unique to Durkopp and further away from the serial number than any other contractor of the S84/98 T3. Both of the bayonets below are Durkopp|38 examples. One is a German refinish & the other original finish. I could not decide if I should get rid of the refurb or not, so still have them both.

From the two pictures both look nice.

DÜrkopp

Thanks for the observations. I went back and looked at my 37, 38, and 39 DÜRKOPP. The 37 has a centered serial, but the 38 and 39 both have the serial much closer to one side than the other. I guess I never noticed before. Now if I could just find a 37 S/238.

The side moving of serial number on bayonet is reported already on S/238 36, same as on Durkopp 37,38 production, but is not a rule, so both stamping variations exist beside. b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back