Third Party Press

8MM Brno mauser

wered

Registered
I picked up this mauser at the gun show this weekend and I wasn't able to find much on the markings on the barrel and was wondering if anyone could identify them, It seems that someone had stamped it "Russian 7.62x54R" and then something else in stamped over it however im not sure what language the other stamp is. I have included pictures of all the gun, any additional info would be appreciated aswell.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nvZkHOLMyq86sL6fvUc7o64NxcgJsjcK

The stuff stamped on the barrel are import markings required to be stamped by ATF by the importer...they probably mismarked, then restamped...

Its a VZ-24 contract gun...don't know if it was a Turk contract, or bought by Turkey and Turked, but most likely its in 8mm Mauser....

Someone who knows VZ-24's better will be along to give you better info....

It's a Czech 98/22 which was exported to Turkey after Czechoslovakia adopted the VZ-24. Since it's C-block, it was originally put into service by the Czechs, but sold to Turkey after the VZ-24 became the main service rifle. The sights were replaced to have Eastern Arabic numerals. It should be in 8x57. They probably engraved it wrong and re-wrote 98/22 8mm Turkey over the old import mark.

See, told you my Czech-Fu was weak...but I was close...:facepalm::laugh:

Good thing I knew enough to recognize an unscrubbed Romanian for what it was!

Another thing to mention is that leftover Imperial inspected Gew 98 parts were used to build these as the Germans sold the machinery/tooling and blue prints for the Gew 98 to Czechoslovakia shortly before the end of WW1. I'm assuming they also sold them leftover parts with said machinery/tooling and blueprints. Something to note is that the earliest VZ-98/22s even had the roller coaster "Lange Vizier" sights before CZ Brno transitioned to tangent sights. As they ran out of Imperial German parts, they eventually transitioned to CZ Brno made parts indicated by the Circle Z. At first, the rifles were hand fit like the Gew 98 and K98k, with serial #s on all major parts. However, a few years after the VZ-24's introduction, part interchangeability was introduced and the serial #s were dropped from the majority of the parts leaving only the inspection.
Pu8GG05h.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back