Third Party Press

Zeilsechs

I have a Zeiss zeilsechs I put on my jp sauer high turret clone. When the old claw mounts were heated for removal, the front lens fogged up. Any recommendations on how/where to have it cleaned? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I hate being the bearer of bad news, but, your scope should have been taken apart to metal tube only, prior to applying that type of heat. Once all glass is removed, you can then safely apply heat to the stripped tube to remove the solder rings. There's honestly a high provability that your scope might now have big problems.

Yeah, the glue between the lenses is probably cooked, so the lens will probably have to be split and reglued if that what happened. May as well find another scope. That’s what I’ve heard happens.

I don't think the lens glue came apart persay, otherwise I think it'd be out of focus. OP saying its just a dirty foggy so hopefully not out of focus??

Most likely any moisture and dust was evaporated/disturbed from the heat and is now on the internal part of the lens and would require a disassembly of the front and rear lens blocks for cleaning. Zielviers and zielsechs are fairly easy to dissemble for cleaning, however if not comfortable and willing to hire there are people that specialize in it, but it could also be a dead end depending if any lens or mechanisms were damaged.

Sorry fellas I should’ve been more specific in my op. We didn’t apply a torch or anything to the mounts. The gunsmith started to cut the mounts and the heat generated from that was enough to loosen the solder and take the mounts off. The scope lens can still focus. The heat from cutting seems to cause some fogging of the from lens. But I’m willing to send the scope out of you have recommendations so I can maybe salvage it. Worst case I’ll track down another one. Thanks.

Vaughn99 is a member of this forum. He is a gunsmith and one of the very, very few willing to work on Vintage German scopes. Look him up in our community section and send him a email with details of your problem.

Lot's of luck

I would contact Vaughn99. He is excellent. He just did a Dow cleaning for us that was very reasonable.

You may be fortunate and it will be able to be repaired. It would be worth while to have it examined.

You probably couldn't buy another for the cost of the repair, unless it is severely damaged.

Regards, Al

I have a Zeiss zeilsechs .....

Wait a minute!
Your scope, is it marked:
Zeiss zeilsechs
or
Zeiss Zielsechs
??

If it is marked zeilsechs, throw it into your neighbor's back yard and watch him going over it with his lawn mower! At least you might have some fun watching him.
If it is marked Zielsechs, it might be worth restoring.
Thanks

Last edited:
"Ziel" is German for "target". And "Zeil" is not a German word at all, like someone wrote "tagret" instead of "target". I guess you now understand what he meant...

I’m out of town at the moment so I haven’t had a chance to check the spelling. I’ll post a picture of it when I get home. Unfortunately the scope had soldered on double claw mounts and it was going onto high turret mounts.

Vaughn99 is a member of this forum. He is a gunsmith and one of the very, very few willing to work on Vintage German scopes. Look him up in our community section and send him a email with details of your problem.

Lot's of luck

Thanks for the help. I messaged him but haven’t heard anything back as of yet.

Wait a minute!
Your scope, is it marked:
Zeiss zeilsechs
or
Zeiss Zielsechs
??

If it is marked zeilsechs, throw it into your neighbor's back yard and watch him going over it with his lawn mower! At least you might have some fun watching him.
If it is marked Zielsechs, it might be worth restoring.
Thanks

It’s marked Zielsechs so i think it’s worth restoring

Military Rifle Journal
Back