Third Party Press

42cof - 1941 Production Overstamped

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Here is an interesting 42cof piece. The bayonet was initially marked 41cof but has been overstamped to 42. The serial number is matching 9347b to both the bayonet and scabbard. For whatever reasons the b letter block for the bayonet was also overstamped with a large upper case B. Not sure why this would have been required as the original b was matching. There are no overstamps to the scabbard. The piece has a mixture of WaA883 and WaA519 acceptance stamps which is frequently encountered with Carl Eickhorn production in 1942. The internal markings include a large E lot number and 4271 stamping to the blade blank. Bottom of the retaining pin also stamped with a matching 4271/top stamping SWE WaA883. Spine stamped under the mortice slot with an additional SWE WaA883. The phenolic grip scales were produced by Karl Potthof of Solingen-Ohlings and are hand stamped with 47 (last two of the serial digits) as an assembly number. The flashguard is also assembly stamped 47. Interesting example of a blade blank partially marked and finished circa late 1941 but assembled/completed and receiving final acceptance in early 1942. Unfortunately there were some storage issues causing a bit of corrosion and scattered pitting. Date overstamped pieces can be encountered during several years of Eickhorn S.84/98 production.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 30
42cof restamp

Interesting. I own an example only 466 units earlier (8881b) that has no sign of this kind of work. I also own 7775a that has the asterisk stamped into the blade. 42cof is beginning to remind me of 41crs.

Thanks for sharing it , interesting piece, the B upper case is not obvious on Eickhorn pieces, i believe there was other letter under the B too, possible S or t? or other letter which was not hidded by small letter b probably and then was applied a B.Condition speaks for early 1942 end finishing, same as mixed 883/519 was used in switch period. b.r.Andy

....the B upper case is not obvious on Eickhorn pieces, i believe there was other letter under the B too, possible S or t? or other letter which was not hidded by small letter b probably and then was applied a B. b.r.Andy

Thanks for the comments guys. And as usual Andrej has expert knowledge as well as sharp eyes! Had this piece under a loupe and with good lighting conditions ....... The original letter block was h, you can see the serif feet protruding from below the B. It is the only letter block font style for Eickhorn in 1941 - '42 that fits. A b to match was initially stamped over the h but did not provide adequate coverage. The top of the b remains visible at the upper left. Finally the upper case B was stamped over both. Thanks Andrej.

Thanks for finding the real letter, on pictures its very hard, am best with magnyfying glass. b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back