Third Party Press

Thread: 42cof - 1941 Production Overstamped

Default 42cof - 1941 Production Overstamped

Here is an interesting 42cof piece. The bayonet was initially marked 41cof but has been overstamped to 42. The serial number is matching 9347b to both the bayonet and scabbard. For whatever reasons the b letter block for the bayonet was also overstamped with a large upper case B. Not sure why this would have been required as the original b was matching. There are no overstamps to the scabbard. The piece has a mixture of WaA883 and WaA519 acceptance stamps which is frequently encountered with Carl Eickhorn production in 1942. The internal markings include a large E lot number and 4271 stamping to the blade blank. Bottom of the retaining pin also stamped with a matching 4271/top stamping SWE WaA883. Spine stamped under the mortice slot with an additional SWE WaA883. The phenolic grip scales were produced by Karl Potthof of Solingen-Ohlings and are hand stamped with 47 (last two of the serial digits) as an assembly number. The flashguard is also assembly stamped 47. Interesting example of a blade blank partially marked and finished circa late 1941 but assembled/completed and receiving final acceptance in early 1942. Unfortunately there were some storage issues causing a bit of corrosion and scattered pitting. Date overstamped pieces can be encountered during several years of Eickhorn S.84/98 production.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 42cof restamp

Interesting. I own an example only 466 units earlier (8881b) that has no sign of this kind of work. I also own 7775a that has the asterisk stamped into the blade. 42cof is beginning to remind me of 41crs.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that up.
    WTB: Rough milled, blued, unnumbered floor plate as found on late MO rifles. Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

That is a cool one!! I like over strikes and double struck stuff.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04
    Looking for these 44 bayonets. pyy, cul, sgx, ddl,

Thanks for sharing it , interesting piece, the B upper case is not obvious on Eickhorn pieces, i believe there was other letter under the B too, possible S or t? or other letter which was not hidded by small letter b probably and then was applied a B.Condition speaks for early 1942 end finishing, same as mixed 883/519 was used in switch period. b.r.Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    ....the B upper case is not obvious on Eickhorn pieces, i believe there was other letter under the B too, possible S or t? or other letter which was not hidded by small letter b probably and then was applied a B. b.r.Andy
    Thanks for the comments guys. And as usual Andrej has expert knowledge as well as sharp eyes! Had this piece under a loupe and with good lighting conditions ....... The original letter block was h, you can see the serif feet protruding from below the B. It is the only letter block font style for Eickhorn in 1941 - '42 that fits. A b to match was initially stamped over the h but did not provide adequate coverage. The top of the b remains visible at the upper left. Finally the upper case B was stamped over both. Thanks Andrej.

Thanks for finding the real letter, on pictures its very hard, am best with magnyfying glass. b.r.Andy

Default Great !!!!