Third Party Press

Someone PLEASE Make a Repro of This

Wilhelm

Holy Grail material right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrKhJC35QRA

I guarantee you that, once you get set up, these are far less expensive to build than an HK9 or a Cetme L. Yes, I know the "setting up" part is the most expensive but you could get away with stampings for the receiver halves and dust cover, leaving all other bits to be machined. The stampings are FAR less complicated than an MP44, HK, Cetme, etc. I don't care what naysayers throw out there. This thing is very doable. If I had the means, I'd do it myself.

Last edited:
I absolutely love Ian from forgotten weapons videos. And I agree. I would love to have a copy of one of these rifles. It kind of amazes me that they arent already being made.

John.

Faster! Faster! Faster!

There is a repo of the VG1-5, a semi-auto carbine that use the 7.9 kurz cartridge and MP43/StG44 magazine available from Allegheny Arsenal. It might fit your needs.

I absolutely love Ian from forgotten weapons

Yeah he's good. Not sure about the bromance level tho. :laugh: The Gerat 06H is pretty darn slick. Super simplified and I agree with the assessment that it would be much easier to produce than the 44. I mean that IS the whole reason they came up with it.

I absolutely love Ian from forgotten weapons videos. And I agree. I would love to have a copy of one of these rifles. It kind of amazes me that they arent already being made.

John.

Surprisingly, a small repro production run made it into the U.S. (I think from the U.K.) in the mid 1980's. The silver looking one in another video of Forgotten Weapons is probably one of those. They look ugly compared to V20 shown in this video. V20 has a very colorful past, it was actually bought in the 1950's at Martin B. Retting in Culver City, CA in the 1950's as a parts kit and made it to the Netherlands where Visser took possession of it. According to the documents available to me, it was Visser who blew up the trunnion and parts of the bolt assembly and new parts were made with help from Mauser and H&K. Besides S/N 02 which resides in Springfield, V20 is the only other known Gerat 06H predominantly assembled from genuine parts. I had several conversations with Wolfgang (member Amberg) about these fascinating rifles. Personally, I do not believe the hand guard to be genuine. They are easy to fabricate using a mill and a lathe, compared to stamping and rolling a corrugated sheet metal guard as seen on the Springfield version. But with the goal of cheap, fast production, nothing could match a stamped part, thus my suspicion. If memory serves me right, V20 has been in the Sturgess collection. There's also a V21 floating around, presumably also Sturgess, but it's butt ugly and looks plain wrong.

Yeah he's good. Not sure about the bromance level tho. :laugh: The Gerat 06H is pretty darn slick. Super simplified and I agree with the assessment that it would be much easier to produce than the 44. I mean that IS the whole reason they came up with it.

his VIDEOS :laugh: Though he does have a odd cult following on the internet.

John.

Surprisingly, a small repro production run made it into the U.S. (I think from the U.K.) in the mid 1980's. The silver looking one in another video of Forgotten Weapons is probably one of those. They look ugly compared to V20 shown in this video. V20 has a very colorful past, it was actually bought in the 1950's at Martin B. Retting in Culver City, CA in the 1950's as a parts kit and made it to the Netherlands where Visser took possession of it. According to the documents available to me, it was Visser who blew up the trunnion and parts of the bolt assembly and new parts were made with help from Mauser and H&K. Besides S/N 02 which resides in Springfield, V20 is the only other known Gerat 06H predominantly assembled from genuine parts. I had several conversations with Wolfgang (member Amberg) about these fascinating rifles. Personally, I do not believe the hand guard to be genuine. They are easy to fabricate using a mill and a lathe, compared to stamping and rolling a corrugated sheet metal guard as seen on the Springfield version. But with the goal of cheap, fast production, nothing could match a stamped part, thus my suspicion. If memory serves me right, V20 has been in the Sturgess collection. There's also a V21 floating around, presumably also Sturgess, but it's butt ugly and looks plain wrong.

I was looking at that handguard to. Glad to see someone else thought it was wrong. Though id probably prefer the Bakelite over stamped metal if i were to own a copy.

John.

Your right it came from Sturges, we have checked this rifle and have it in out computer system

I was looking at that handguard to. Glad to see someone else thought it was wrong. Though id probably prefer the Bakelite over stamped metal if i were to own a copy.

John.

These are a confusing mess to dive into, many subtle variations. Are y’all saying the Bakelite HG is thought to be non original? I thought the Bakelite HG might be pertinent to that model still being gas operated and thus the difference?

That’s what I’m thinking, I couldn’t see that bakelite HG being a Repro by the way it looks, but of course I’ve never examined it in hand haha. My favorite model is the bakelite HG version, just called the 06 I think, good stuff. Cool videos watching the repros and such, here’s a good picture of that guy too :laugh:

Attachments

• 2C7B5E5D-F1C9-458F-BFB4-9E52056BFAA0.jpeg
    2C7B5E5D-F1C9-458F-BFB4-9E52056BFAA0.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 77
That’s what I’m thinking, I couldn’t see that bakelite HG being a Repro by the way it looks, but of course I’ve never examined it in hand haha. My favorite model is the bakelite HG version, just called the 06 I think, good stuff. Cool videos watching the repros and such, here’s a good picture of that guy too :laugh:

Gun Jesus!

This is a easy rifle to build, the problem is if it is a marked for it?. To make a stamped weapon cheep, you need to make a lot of them . Stampings are cheep only in big numbers, when making a few of them it will be expensive.

I think there is as much market for this as there is an MP44. Every bit as much. BUILD IT!!!!!!

I've been drinking whiskey BUT......I'm 100% sure my thinking is straight.

I think there is as much market for this as there is an MP44. Every bit as much. BUILD IT!!!!!!

I've been drinking whiskey BUT......I'm 100% sure my thinking is straight.

Well I dont think the 06 has the same fame as the MP44, I think it is a gun for the few that are interested in this history. We have most of the toolings ready, but I need to se what ATF will do with the 38 and the 44 first.

Military Rifle Journal
Back