Third Party Press

Original German Footage Shows K98 with PEM

Very cool. One of the many reasons original Mod. 38 PEM rifles are so hard to find. The German and Finish were just like bubba, sportrizing their rifles and ruining a perfectly good M91/30. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! Actual footage of the picture I used as an inspiration for my build. Thanks for sharing!

EG8wULp.jpg

Hey Dave

I remember that Pic. and that I was one of the disbelievers, and at the time believed it was a staged pic. Honestly, mainly because of how low the scope sits that it wouldn't clear the bolt when worked. Well, that movie shows the same very low scope......but, it somehow must clear the scope. In simple terms, I was wrong!!!

Really great job & eye at spotting the PEM. You helped our hobby a lot by documenting this.

Hey Dave.. Really great job & eye at spotting the PEM.

No kidding. I don't know how you guys keep doing this? You must have a great eye for details.

Raupleminze, that's a nice build. How does your 'tribute' rifle work? Where did you get the mount?

All these years I had no idea that was a screen capture from a film, I assumed it was a still photo. Thanks, Dave!

Jeff

No kidding. I don't know how you guys keep doing this? You must have a great eye for details.

Raupleminze, that's a nice build. How does your 'tribute' rifle work? Where did you get the mount?

Thanks, it works great! I need to spend some more time at the range with it to see if I can shrink the groups. The mount is an "Igor" reproduction PEM mount. Not as good as the originals or the "Dmitry" reproductions, but superior to Accumounts. The scope is an original 1940 dated PEM.

......You must have a great eye for details.

Talking about details, did you notice the guy with the rifle is an officer with KC!?

PS: with the dark piping/Soutache ... he is not from Infantry. Maybe Artillerie, Pionier ....
I don't know.

Attachments

• 2018-07-23 .jpg
    2018-07-23 .jpg
    48 KB · Views: 65
Hey Dave

I remember that Pic. and that I was one of the disbelievers, and at the time believed it was a staged pic. Honestly, mainly because of how low the scope sits that it wouldn't clear the bolt when worked. Well, that movie shows the same very low scope......but, it somehow must clear the scope. In simple terms, I was wrong!!!

Really great job & eye at spotting the PEM. You helped our hobby a lot by documenting this.

John
Did You ever see the Ground Dug Original K98 with PEM that Absolut posted a while back , if not have a look . it was found with Original Stock & Base in place . There has been a few other period original photos that surfaced as well . Best Regards .

Yea Dave, I remember (I Think it's the one) where he posted pic's of it thru the recovery process. As I recall, the time underground wasn't kind and had caused some heavy damage to that rifle. Did he ever find a scope mount which would lockup on the base?

Yea Dave, I remember (I Think it's the one) where he posted pic's of it thru the recovery process. As I recall, the time underground wasn't kind and had caused some heavy damage to that rifle. Did he ever find a scope mount which would lockup on the base?

John , Yes he did I believe he posted pics of finished product . Actually the completion looked really good for a ground dug resto .

Military Rifle Journal
Back