Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked this up today at the MVACA show How did I do?

Default Picked this up today at the MVACA show How did I do?

For the last few years I've been looking for a Gew98. My youngest son gets mad when I make him go, "roller coaster sights, un-bubba'd" his little rant that he knows he knows he knows what I'm looking for. My oldest goes willingly and has a good time at a great gun show w/ little beef jerky for sale. I digress. I wasn't looking for all matching but this guy had this w/ the bayonet for a reasonable price and it was ALL matching, I think even the cleaning rod as I can discern an 8 at least. if it doesn't match, it's at least and 80 something, but I can't see that well. Also the receiver is NOT in the white, but it doesn't look blued either, it looks almost like rust, Patina? I'm no expert. Rifling is strong but man is there a ton of sheisse in the bore. Did some Sweets 762, some butches bore shine, G96 (of course) and finally some foaming bore cleaner (let that sit for an hour, all this nasty black stuff came pouring out rather than the usual blue) Ran some Jb bore paste then another treatment of the foamng stuff, not as bad the second time. Bore looks much more serviceable. How did I do guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clarkaim; 07-28-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Default more pics

Here are some more pics. I got hung up loading these on the first thread. Also came with what appears to me an original ww1 sling, the Simpson & Suhl bayonet has a 16 on the spine below the imperial crown thingy. I have to take it apart to rotate the little thread block for the cleaning rod, as it must be catewompous as the rod will not screw in and I can't latch the bayonet with it in.
    Last edited by clarkaim; 07-28-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add some content

Thank you for showing the Gew98, and it looks like you did well...BILL

I nice honest WW1 Gew98 rifle. Danzig did make alot of Gew98 rifles in the year of 1916 but finding one all matching is not too common IMO. Plus you got yourself a nice original sling and a Simson made S98/05 bayonet as well. From my research I believe Danzig made well over 400,000 Gew98 rifles in the year of 1916.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

If that's an original sling, it's best to not to leave it cinched up in parade position....
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

Default Nice pick up.

Nice untouched piece. Good pick up

Quote Originally Posted by feldmütze View Post
    If that's an original sling, it's best to not to leave it cinched up in parade position....
    I second that. Be careful taking the sling off remember it's over a hundred years old.

Tough to say from pics if receiver is blued but it definitely could just be discolored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default receiver color is kind of a reddish brown

Did they start blueing these late war or at an aresenal rebuild? my k98s are definitely NOT this color. Should it be in the white? Should I have it cleaned up to no finish (i think not). Like rc k98's I feel like un-pristine examples have more History. I'll take a pic in the sun and see what kind of better exposure
    Last edited by clarkaim; 07-29-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add pic

Quote Originally Posted by clarkaim View Post
    Did they start blueing these late war or at an aresenal rebuild? my k98s are definitely NOT this color. Should it be in the white? Should I have it cleaned up to no finish (i think not). Like rc k98's I feel like un-pristine examples have more History. I'll take a pic in the sun and see what kind of better exposure
    That does not look like bluing too me but aged patina on the receiver. Plus they did not blue Gew98 receivers this early and if it was done post war in the Weimer era. The rest of the rifle would have been updated such as the rear sight.

I would like too see a picture of the right side of the receiver where the Imperial stamps are when you get time.