Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked this up today at the MVACA show How did I do?

I seriously doubt its been re-blued (or blued in anyway), this is typical patina often seen on rifles that haven't been "improved" (cleaned)

If you REALLY must know for sure, disassemble the rifle and view the receiver w/o stock, there will be a contrast that will confirm it one way or the other.

What would be very helpful is better pictures, this last one I can make out a partial C/K acceptance, so this is not a no-suffix rifle, or shouldn't be (if it is it was made later, Jordan owns such a rifle I believe). What is the suffix of the rifle? What does the acceptance look like on the right receiver? What is the acceptance on the wrist, lower buttstock and under the cypher? These things will tell you more about the rifle than everything you have shown.

It looks like a nice rifle, your pictures are not very revealing though...

Default hows this?

I took this down to clean the innards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default what does "suffix" mean?

I am ignorant as to what that means? does that mean something to do with an Alpha script under the serial like on Lugers? I don't see any and don't know the significance. I am new to this level of detail. Please advise.

Still have it too Paul my rifle is pretty close too this one. Little bit earlier then this one though. Kind of neat that my stock has grips and this one doesn't. By the serial number range their about 1811 rifles apart from each other

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....64-Danzig-1916
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Does your serial number on the receiver have a letter suffix? A letter style character under the numeric (5380) serial. This letter will tell you where in 1916 production this rifle falls (how early or late) With this acceptance pattern it should be quite late, but it is known that every maker had rifles that, for whatever reason, had problems and some early serialed rifles will show up with later acceptance patterns.

Had you shown the fireproof on the barrel (you get a slight glimpse of it in this last picture) it would have helped date the rifle also. The fireproof will also be on the other side of the receiver, next to the serial.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkaim View Post
    I am ignorant as to what that means? does that mean something to do with an Alpha script under the serial like on Lugers? I don't see any and don't know the significance. I am new to this level of detail. Please advise.

Exact rifle I was referring too. These two rifles are the same imo, both serialed in the no suffix range, but finished much later, probably well past the mid-way point of 1916. Very interesting rifles really, though I doubt many would have given much notice to such small details that date rifles beyond what the suffix suggests.

Both are early Danzig/16's, but both were also made much later. Which is why both have survived in such nice condition. Danzig made a buttload of rifles, but 1915's and early 1916 are next to impossible to find factory original.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Still have it too Paul my rifle is pretty close too this one. Little bit earlier then this one though. Kind of neat that my stock has grips and this one doesn't. By the serial number range their about 1811 rifles apart from each other

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....64-Danzig-1916

Default more pics and a question?

Here are some more pics that where requested to determine "age" of this rifle. Also, I've got a wierd question on something I have never seen on any Mauser action, whether German, Persian, heck even 1903 springfields do this, but NOT this bolt. While the safety certainly blocks the sear and prevents firing, the unique thing it does not do is lock the action when all the way to the right. The notch in the bolt is intact, but can I guess that the tip of the flag's shaft is damaged or out of spec?

Few things are cut & dry regarding dating by acceptance patterns alone, however both your rifle and Jordan's rifle possess a acceptance pattern not seen until 2/3 through the range for 1916, generally right before Danzig rolls over to double suffix. While your rifle lacks grips, Jordan has them and "generally" that is a mid-late feature for Danzig (not really seen this early)

I can't make out your stocks acceptance clearly, but Danzig was very steady in using a consistent pattern of acceptance throughout 1916, so it probably wouldn't help dating the rifle... Also the presence of two counter stamps on the RR is very uncommon this early, such markings began in the earliest production by Danzig, but generally not under two acceptance stamps until about the rollover to dual suffix.

Anyway, I would say there is a very good argument that both your rifle and Jordan's were finished much later in 1916, probably w-z or maybe even double suffix range, but research is not advanced enough to be too definitive. Stocks especially are hard to nail down to a consistent pattern, too few factory original rifles and many sellers do not show relevant pictures to determine originality.

Re-bolt you would have to do some pictures. Disassembled might be a good idea too.

Default took bolt apart results

the half shaft nib on end of flag was broken cleanly off. Is that something a gunsmith could build back up? I will probably not because I would not want to compromise the steel of the safety, which works perfectly.

"the half shaft nib on end of flag was broken cleanly off"

What in the world are you talking about, lol
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana