Third Party Press
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VK-98, Steyr VG-5

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Very cool. I'd also like to hear more about how this came to his possession. It looks quite minty. Love the stock.. looks like it was chiseled out of a 2x6. Thanks for sharing this piece!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Mother.

Of.

God.
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

A stunner ! They don't come more "fresh out of the box" than that rifle. Wow.

Default Backstory

heavy_mech, He was a member of 8th armored division, part of a maintenance unit attached to the division. Throughout the war he was fixing up anything that broke down, he has lots of cool stories. Being in a maintenance unit he has access to crates, so he mailed TONS of stuff home from rifles and shotguns to knives and other desirable memorabilia. I actually met him at a reenactment I was in. He came in earlier in the day and we talked a good 2 hours just about Mausers, his unit liked to keep them around in the field instead of the grease guns they were issued. He said he had a cool rifle to show me and that he would go get it as he lived up the road. Later in the day he came back with it and I nearly shit bricks! I asked him if he got this while he was in Austria, to which he was surprised I knew. I told him the code and date significance, and what he exactly had. He said he went to a factory and there were lots of rifles lying around, but then he saw a bunch of these sitting on a rack. I imagine that it looking unique to him compared to all the other k98's he snagged it and mailed it home, probably at whatever station it was at on the line at the time, which would explain the missing magazine. He was happy to learn more about it and we had a grand old time. I've visited him a few times since then and he is still kicking!
    Mechanical Designer and aspiring Mechanical Engineer Technician, looking for dimensions for kriegsmodell screws to try and make good repros, along with 3D models and drawings.

Great story, great rifle, and incredible he's still around to share his story. Does he have any of his other bring backs?

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    heavy_mech, He was a member of 8th armored division, part of a maintenance unit attached to the division. Throughout the war he was fixing up anything that broke down, he has lots of cool stories. Being in a maintenance unit he has access to crates, so he mailed TONS of stuff home from rifles and shotguns to knives and other desirable memorabilia. I actually met him at a reenactment I was in. He came in earlier in the day and we talked a good 2 hours just about Mausers, his unit liked to keep them around in the field instead of the grease guns they were issued. He said he had a cool rifle to show me and that he would go get it as he lived up the road. Later in the day he came back with it and I nearly shit bricks! I asked him if he got this while he was in Austria, to which he was surprised I knew. I told him the code and date significance, and what he exactly had. He said he went to a factory and there were lots of rifles lying around, but then he saw a bunch of these sitting on a rack. I imagine that it looking unique to him compared to all the other k98's he snagged it and mailed it home, probably at whatever station it was at on the line at the time, which would explain the missing magazine. He was happy to learn more about it and we had a grand old time. I've visited him a few times since then and he is still kicking!
    Super cool. I'd be digging for any information or story I could get out of him. I love listening to those stories! Great stuff!
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Very neat! Buy you're cheating. That's a Swiss zeltbahn.
    Some P38 "experts" are yo-yo's who, for some reason lost on me, can't or won't accept the truth when it's staring them in the face.

That's only the second example I've seen where the rear sight is not staked to the receiver. It's amazing he resisted the urge to customize or "improve it", it's beautiful!

Very nice text book example. Here's it's twin........

http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthrea...98-Steyr-s-VG5

Man that’s awesome Aaron! I’m glad you mentioned this earlier! Perfect example! But almost more importantly this is the first vet I can remember having heard of with stories about capturing rifles at Steyr!! Other than a few quick non detailed blurbs. Man I would love to know if he was in Molln! May not have been though since these were slightly earlier manufacture and they had storage facilities all over the place in the Steyr valley.