Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inherited S/147/G – identification help and advice please

Default Inherited S/147/G – identification help and advice please

New forum member here, hope that I am posting the right way. I’m helping a friend who inherited what I understand to be a pre-war K98. Trying to educate myself the rifle, I quickly realized that I’m well out of my depth. Time to call the experts.

I’d be appreciative of any thoughts you may have: year, origin, completeness, condition, valuation, etc.

My friend has no intention of keeping it. The plan is to learn more about the gun so that it can eventually find a new owner who will appreciate and enjoy it.

Markings:

S/147/G

I assume this means by J.P. Sauer and Sohn, 1935. Serial numbers on barrel and bolt appear to match.

Many thanks for your expertise and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well,, you have it right in all aspects. I'm sure you are getting flooded with PM's as I type..

There are many here who would love to own that rifle.. Getting a fair value is going to be something your friend and the buyer will have to agree on.

More pics needed but if truly all matching you’re probably looking north of 3k. Looks like condition might lack some on this one though

Thank you for the information. Here are the remaining photos I have currently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agree nice rifle but definitely has a few condition issues.

I agree, though condition could hold it back from this potential. What really matters is the stock being right, - your friend will have to do better pictures to get anywhere near its potential value. In cases such as this, it is cost effective to take the time to get a good camera and do lots of good pictures. The difference between doing so and not will almost certainly exceed the cameras cost several times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    More pics needed but if truly all matching you’re probably looking north of 3k. Looks like condition might lack some on this one though

Quote Originally Posted by Leon1260 View Post
    . . . . . I assume this means by J.P. Sauer and Sohn, 1935. Serial numbers on barrel and bolt appear to match. . . . .
    Your assumption is correct . . . .

If all serials match, and the bore is not a sewer pipe, I believe you’re looking at about $1,000.

(The lower band is installed backwards . . . the sling “swivel” should be on the left side, and the serial number right side up.)

A little TLC, a sling and a cleaning rod, and you’re GTG!
    Last edited by JimF; 08-06-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Your assumption is correct . . . .

If all serials match, and the bore is not a sewer pipe, I believe you’re looking at about $1,000.

(The lower band is installed backwards . . . the sling “swivel” should be on the left side, and the serial number right side up.)

A little TLC, a sling and a cleaning rod, and you’re GTG!
    Are you saying a 1935 S/147g K98k rifle that is possibly all matching is worth $1000? Condition issues or not thats pretty low for a rifle like this. We have too remember this is a rifle that was made 10 years before WWII was over, it survived possibly all matching, bubba didn't get it ahold of it, very low production, etc.

Better pictures are indeed needed and will explain more. But cleaning a rare rifle like this can be tricky. Patience is needed and must be done slow and with care. A rifle that has survived in its original condition for 83 years can be ruined in one night if your not careful. I would recommend ballistol oil, bronze wool, and some nylon brushes for your metal finish. Whats really nice about this rifle it has not be touched and thats what collectors want.

By the way check for bringback papers and possible a early K98k sling as well. A really nice early made sling can be worth several hundred dollars by itself.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Thanks again for the advice. I will see about getting better photos this week so that the gun can be most fairly evaluated.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon1260 View Post
    Thanks again for the advice. I will see about getting better photos this week so that the gun can be most fairly evaluated.
    Your very welcome and by the way take pictures of the bolt take down disk as well. There have been a few that have been found KM fleet marked. You never know. If it is can completely change what this rifle is worth.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers