Third Party Press
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inherited S/147/G – identification help and advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Are you saying a 1935 S/147g K98k rifle that is possibly all matching is worth $1000? Condition issues or not thats pretty low for a rifle like this. . . . . .
    In my opinion . . . and in it’s present condition . . . . yes, I’m saying it is worth about $1,000. (If I really wanted it to fill a hole in my collection, I might go $1,500.)

As a matter of fact, in my LGS, I’m looking at a 1937 OM, all matching (except cleaning rod), that the proprietor is looking to get $3,000 for. The rifle appears to be in about the same “attic” condition as this Sauer.

It’s been sitting in the shop for about two months . . . with no takers.

I’ve told the shop owner . . . a friend of about 40 years . . . his price is about $2,000 too high, hence the rifle sits!

Granted, a 1935 Sauer is not a 1937 OM, but still . . . the gun-buying public of today, is not usually interested in these relics. The traffic in shops today, is made up of well-healed 25-35 yr. old guys interested in black plastic, ammo blasters, sporting laser sights and large capacity magazines.

Gray-haired guys, like me, are now far and few between . . . and we are quite happy we bought our Mausers years ago. —Jim

Jim, I feel you buddy, but in the internet age $1000 matching pre-war guns are like unicorn horns. This rifle would fetch over 2k even with these photos if the seller offered an inspection. But, really good photos are necessary to get anything close to true value nowadays. See it all the time in GunBroker, that’s how the flippers survive, peoples hard headed attitudes about taking decent pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Well. that being said the guy shopping the s/42 1936 in poor condition and poor photos with capture papers only netted about 1100.00 after fees after shopping it here.

As I stated if the rifle is correct and all matching the Seller and buyer I'm sure could come to a agreed upon price.. Going to auction is a crap shoot at best.
    Last edited by mauser99; 08-07-2018 at 02:20 PM.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    ..it is cost effective to take the time to get a good camera and do lots of good pictures. The difference between doing so and not will almost certainly exceed the cameras cost several times over.
    This is definitely some good advice.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quick update: I will be getting/uploading better photos likely on Friday or Saturday.

I appreciate the tip and will be applying this advice to the other pieces that were inherited: Mauser-Werke A. G. Oberndorf A. N. Patrone .22 Long Rifle (circa 1937), Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen (Sportmodell) Meisterbüchse .22 (mid 1930s) and a Stiegele parlor gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon1260 View Post
    Quick update: I will be getting/uploading better photos likely on Friday or Saturday.

I appreciate the tip and will be applying this advice to the other pieces that were inherited: Mauser-Werke A. G. Oberndorf A. N. Patrone .22 Long Rifle (circa 1937), Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen (Sportmodell) Meisterbüchse .22 (mid 1930s) and a Stiegele parlor gun.
    the other rifles being .22 kal post in the german training rifles section for the best results. Price can fluctuate on those models due to different grades of build. Or optics and sites added.

Unfortunately these photos add very little to what is already known....

The photos really needed are good, clear closeups of pretty much all the numbers and marks.

It appears to have taken a hit, either shrapnel or a bullet to the handguard, and condition is a bit rough.

Without good clear shots of the numbers on all the parts, no buyer would risk big bucks unless it was for sure all matching....

ETA OK, just saw second batch posted while I was posting...somewhat more info with these...but would still need to see bands, trigger guard and floorplate, ideally bolt internals, channels of stock and handguards, trigger, sear, etc...

Well, now it's pretty well covered...

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Well, now it's pretty well covered...

I just realized that I can upload full-size/better resolution photos via insert. I did not realize this earlier, as when I originally posted there were size restrictions. I will go back and change-out the smaller photos in earlier postings for larger ones. Hopefully this will be an improvement.