Third Party Press

Inherited S/147/G – identification help and advice please

Leon1260

New forum member here, hope that I am posting the right way. I’m helping a friend who inherited what I understand to be a pre-war K98. Trying to educate myself the rifle, I quickly realized that I’m well out of my depth. Time to call the experts.

I’d be appreciative of any thoughts you may have: year, origin, completeness, condition, valuation, etc.

My friend has no intention of keeping it. The plan is to learn more about the gun so that it can eventually find a new owner who will appreciate and enjoy it.

Markings:

S/147/G

I assume this means by J.P. Sauer and Sohn, 1935. Serial numbers on barrel and bolt appear to match.

Many thanks for your expertise and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_9360.jpg
    IMG_9360.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9361.jpg
    IMG_9361.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9362.jpg
    IMG_9362.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_9364.jpg
    IMG_9364.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_9365.JPG
    IMG_9365.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9366.jpg
    IMG_9366.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_9367.jpg
    IMG_9367.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9370.jpg
    IMG_9370.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9374.jpg
    IMG_9374.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 121
Well,, you have it right in all aspects. I'm sure you are getting flooded with PM's as I type..

There are many here who would love to own that rifle.. Getting a fair value is going to be something your friend and the buyer will have to agree on.

More pics needed but if truly all matching you’re probably looking north of 3k. Looks like condition might lack some on this one though

Thank you for the information. Here are the remaining photos I have currently.

Attachments

• IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9368.jpg
    IMG_9368.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9363.jpg
    IMG_9363.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 74
I agree, though condition could hold it back from this potential. What really matters is the stock being right, - your friend will have to do better pictures to get anywhere near its potential value. In cases such as this, it is cost effective to take the time to get a good camera and do lots of good pictures. The difference between doing so and not will almost certainly exceed the cameras cost several times over.

More pics needed but if truly all matching you’re probably looking north of 3k. Looks like condition might lack some on this one though

. . . . . I assume this means by J.P. Sauer and Sohn, 1935. Serial numbers on barrel and bolt appear to match. . . . .

Your assumption is correct . . . .

If all serials match, and the bore is not a sewer pipe, I believe you’re looking at about $1,000.

(The lower band is installed backwards . . . the sling “swivel” should be on the left side, and the serial number right side up.)

A little TLC, a sling and a cleaning rod, and you’re GTG!

Last edited:
Your assumption is correct . . . .

If all serials match, and the bore is not a sewer pipe, I believe you’re looking at about $1,000.

(The lower band is installed backwards . . . the sling “swivel” should be on the left side, and the serial number right side up.)

A little TLC, a sling and a cleaning rod, and you’re GTG!

Are you saying a 1935 S/147g K98k rifle that is possibly all matching is worth $1000? Condition issues or not thats pretty low for a rifle like this. We have too remember this is a rifle that was made 10 years before WWII was over, it survived possibly all matching, bubba didn't get it ahold of it, very low production, etc.

Better pictures are indeed needed and will explain more. But cleaning a rare rifle like this can be tricky. Patience is needed and must be done slow and with care. A rifle that has survived in its original condition for 83 years can be ruined in one night if your not careful. I would recommend ballistol oil, bronze wool, and some nylon brushes for your metal finish. Whats really nice about this rifle it has not be touched and thats what collectors want.

By the way check for bringback papers and possible a early K98k sling as well. A really nice early made sling can be worth several hundred dollars by itself.

Thanks again for the advice. I will see about getting better photos this week so that the gun can be most fairly evaluated.

Thanks again for the advice. I will see about getting better photos this week so that the gun can be most fairly evaluated.

Your very welcome and by the way take pictures of the bolt take down disk as well. There have been a few that have been found KM fleet marked. You never know. If it is can completely change what this rifle is worth.

Are you saying a 1935 S/147g K98k rifle that is possibly all matching is worth $1000? Condition issues or not thats pretty low for a rifle like this. . . . . .

In my opinion . . . and in it’s present condition . . . . yes, I’m saying it is worth about $1,000. (If I really wanted it to fill a hole in my collection, I might go $1,500.)

As a matter of fact, in my LGS, I’m looking at a 1937 OM, all matching (except cleaning rod), that the proprietor is looking to get $3,000 for. The rifle appears to be in about the same “attic” condition as this Sauer.

It’s been sitting in the shop for about two months . . . with no takers.

I’ve told the shop owner . . . a friend of about 40 years . . . his price is about $2,000 too high, hence the rifle sits!

Granted, a 1935 Sauer is not a 1937 OM, but still . . . the gun-buying public of today, is not usually interested in these relics. The traffic in shops today, is made up of well-healed 25-35 yr. old guys interested in black plastic, ammo blasters, sporting laser sights and large capacity magazines.

Gray-haired guys, like me, are now far and few between . . . and we are quite happy we bought our Mausers years ago. —Jim

Jim, I feel you buddy, but in the internet age $1000 matching pre-war guns are like unicorn horns. This rifle would fetch over 2k even with these photos if the seller offered an inspection. But, really good photos are necessary to get anything close to true value nowadays. See it all the time in GunBroker, that’s how the flippers survive, peoples hard headed attitudes about taking decent pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. that being said the guy shopping the s/42 1936 in poor condition and poor photos with capture papers only netted about 1100.00 after fees after shopping it here.

As I stated if the rifle is correct and all matching the Seller and buyer I'm sure could come to a agreed upon price.. Going to auction is a crap shoot at best.

Last edited:
..it is cost effective to take the time to get a good camera and do lots of good pictures. The difference between doing so and not will almost certainly exceed the cameras cost several times over.

This is definitely some good advice.

Quick update: I will be getting/uploading better photos likely on Friday or Saturday.

I appreciate the tip and will be applying this advice to the other pieces that were inherited: Mauser-Werke A. G. Oberndorf A. N. Patrone .22 Long Rifle (circa 1937), Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen (Sportmodell) Meisterbüchse .22 (mid 1930s) and a Stiegele parlor gun.

Quick update: I will be getting/uploading better photos likely on Friday or Saturday.

I appreciate the tip and will be applying this advice to the other pieces that were inherited: Mauser-Werke A. G. Oberndorf A. N. Patrone .22 Long Rifle (circa 1937), Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen (Sportmodell) Meisterbüchse .22 (mid 1930s) and a Stiegele parlor gun.

the other rifles being .22 kal post in the german training rifles section for the best results. Price can fluctuate on those models due to different grades of build. Or optics and sites added.

Unfortunately these photos add very little to what is already known....

The photos really needed are good, clear closeups of pretty much all the numbers and marks.

It appears to have taken a hit, either shrapnel or a bullet to the handguard, and condition is a bit rough.

Without good clear shots of the numbers on all the parts, no buyer would risk big bucks unless it was for sure all matching....

ETA OK, just saw second batch posted while I was posting...somewhat more info with these...but would still need to see bands, trigger guard and floorplate, ideally bolt internals, channels of stock and handguards, trigger, sear, etc...

Well, now it's pretty well covered...

I just realized that I can upload full-size/better resolution photos via insert. I did not realize this earlier, as when I originally posted there were size restrictions. I will go back and change-out the smaller photos in earlier postings for larger ones. Hopefully this will be an improvement.

Military Rifle Journal
Back