Third Party Press

Inherited S/147/G – identification help and advice please

Thanks for additional photos. What do the pros estimate the value of it now. Has some issues for sure.

It does have some issues, the obvious laminate HG and environmental damage, which is more than I expected, - I doubt this could pull $3000, though maybe Larry or Elite could. These pictures are good quality, but poor lighting and angles. Which is no fault of the OP as it takes time to learn what is important and how to take the right angles to get clear lighted views. Maybe a $1500-2000 rifle, possibly more with some pictures with good lighting and the right angles. (even ugly girls can be pretty in pictures if you take a lot of pictures and cherry pick the right poses or expressions..)

It is going to take some skill (and lack of integrity) to sell this for over $2000. Does Elite take consignments?

This is where it gets tricky pricing an item on an open floor with so many different opinions and personalities.

1st. now we know the rifle isn't all correct and matching due to the laminated handguard. This takes the purists out of the running. These people typically pay the most for items.
2nd. condition is lacking and that takes the condition collectors out the running. Also other types that pay up for stuff.

So now we are left with a decent rifle not 100% correct but some with settle for this. A handguard for a safety replacement is an "acceptable" item for most as these items broke or were damaged during use. Hence why armorer chests had them in inventory.

The peppering of the metal and darker stock may clean up with some help IMHO and this one could wake up a bit ? But, it's still what it is... I think the OP's estimate of 1500.00 is fair considering the situation now that we've seen it in the light..

As far as pricing is concerned . The guy who doesn't own an item will always pay more than a guy who has one or three.
The guy who owns an item will always value it less than a guy who doesn't.

The current k98k climate is as Up and down as I have ever seen it.. My2 cents.

Thanks very much for the thorough explanation. It would be interesting to know more about the handguard; it appears that the rifle has some stories to tell. I missed this at first.

I plan on bringing the gun to a show this weekend so that it can be looked over in person, which might add something else to the conversation. It is fantastic to have much more information than I started with. Thanks to all.

Taking in the previous posts, it makes sense to have to gun end up in a good home (museum donation or sold to private collector) where it can be appreciated and taken care of. It does not need to be stuck in the back of a closet for any longer.

This is where it gets tricky pricing an item on an open floor with so many different opinions and personalities.

1st. now we know the rifle isn't all correct and matching due to the laminated handguard. This takes the purists out of the running. These people typically pay the most for items.
2nd. condition is lacking and that takes the condition collectors out the running. Also other types that pay up for stuff.

So now we are left with a decent rifle not 100% correct but some with settle for this. A handguard for a safety replacement is an "acceptable" item for most as these items broke or were damaged during use. Hence why armorer chests had them in inventory.

The peppering of the metal and darker stock may clean up with some help IMHO and this one could wake up a bit ? But, it's still what it is... I think the OP's estimate of 1500.00 is fair considering the situation now that we've seen it in the light..

As far as pricing is concerned . The guy who doesn't own an item will always pay more than a guy who has one or three.
The guy who owns an item will always value it less than a guy who doesn't.

The current k98k climate is as Up and down as I have ever seen it.. My2 cents.

I took the gun to an antique arms show in Atlanta yesterday. Mostly a Civil War show, but this gun still attracted interest. One gentleman in particular was very interested. I mentioned the 1500 range that had been mentioned here by multiple members and he expressed strong interest. We'll see what happens.

I appreciate everyone offering their input, it has helped grow my confidence when looking for a good home for this piece. Thanks.

Hello again everyone,

Searching for additional papers/provenance, I was able to find a scope and two dagger/bayonet-looking items today (among a few other items). I am curious to know if these went along with the K98? I will re-post as well in the small bore training rifles section, perhaps they belonged to the Walther or Mauser 22 I am investigating.

The scope is marked OPTIKOTECHNA 4x 6° 08433

IMG_9627.jpgIMG_9628.jpgIMG_9628.jpgIMG_9634.jpgIMG_9641.jpgIMG_9644.jpg

The knife in Pic #4 is a "boot knife"...hard to see, but the mark may be a Luftamt, the Luftwaffe issued some of these...nothing to do with your rifle, but WWII German...(likely, need beter pics of any markings)

Military Rifle Journal
Back