Third Party Press

Inherited Walther Zella-Mehlis Sportmodell .22 -identification and advice please

Leon1260

Hello all,

I would really appreciate and thoughts/opinions/advice on this gun that was recently inherited by a friend. I understand it to be a Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen (Sportmodell) .22. I believe it is also marked "Meisterbüchse".

My understanding is that there were multiple variations, models and levels and I am curious to learn more. I assume the gun is mid-late 1930s.

Additionally, if anyone has a guess of valuation, that would interesting as well. The context of this inquiry is to learn more and then eventually (likely) find a good home for this gun so that it does not sit in a closet for any longer.

I apologize in advance for the photos, better photos can be obtained. Thank you for your perspectives.

IMG_9387.jpgIMG_9388.jpgIMG_9389.jpgIMG_9390.jpgIMG_9392.jpgIMG_9393.jpgIMG_9394.jpgIMG_9395.jpgIMG_9396.jpgIMG_9397.jpgIMG_9398.jpg

Yes, rifle is from the 1930s. The Meisterbuchse (Master's Rifle) was Walther's top-of-the-line rifle (a Champion's rifle). Looks like it's intact. The sliding rear sight assembly is often absent. Hang on to it. You might look and see if it matches the gun - it likely does. The rifle looks like it needs a good cleaning. Not sure the leather thing clamped on the barrel, but it should probably be removed as it may cause rust or loss of bluing (maybe already has). If everything matches, the bore is good and its not rusted it should be worth somewhere in the $700-$900 range. More or less depending on where you live and how it cleans up. They are really nice rifles. I would like to have one. Have passed on a couple this year.

Hello all,

I would really appreciate and thoughts/opinions/advice on this gun that was recently inherited by a friend. I understand it to be a Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis Thuringen (Sportmodell) .22. I believe it is also marked "Meisterbüchse".

My understanding is that there were multiple variations, models and levels and I am curious to learn more. I assume the gun is mid-late 1930s.

Additionally, if anyone has a guess of valuation, that would interesting as well. The context of this inquiry is to learn more and then eventually (likely) find a good home for this gun so that it does not sit in a closet for any longer.

I apologize in advance for the photos, better photos can be obtained. Thank you for your perspectives.

View attachment 184308View attachment 184309View attachment 184310View attachment 184311View attachment 184312View attachment 184313View attachment 184314View attachment 184315View attachment 184316View attachment 184317View attachment 184318
L0JeBC9l.jpg

bh8mExql.jpg

ZGCVdNul.jpg

You find all answers inside my book
Bruno

This one was made about 1936 and prior to Walther re-vamping their serial numbering system to include a W suffix to the number as a model designator. You can find a wealth of information on the various configurations, number ranges, dating, sights and accessories in Training Rifles of Third Reich Germany, which has an entire chapter devoted to the Walther Sportmodel.
Steve

photo 1.jpg

Thank you for the information and for informing me about the excellent source-books.

I look forward to taking and uploading better photos, as well as trying to verify the story/lore that is associated with this particular rifle.

I am curious about that leather wrapping. It has a buckle and all that fits the barrel -- probably not chance. Anyone know what that is?

Nice walther... basically the same type quality and level of example as your mauser you posted. They were all in competition for customers $$$$..

Some prefer walther some mauser.. Just like Chevy or Ford Some love one over the other. Brand Loyalty is strong.

This rifle has some condition issues but should clean up fine.. Value is about what was stated above. These are fairly common but great shooters.

No added markings so no added value beyond the base rifle. The Mauser being a much better find.

Is that possibly a sight protector?
Steve

I took the gun to a well-respected regional gunsmith who had three thoughts:

First, the leather strap appears to have been part of some later storage case.

Second, that the gun is treated in cosmoline (I had not heard of this). That being the case, the gunsmith's assumption was that the gun may have been treated for shipment when in Germany, and as a result, the barrel is likely in very good shape.

Third, if the gun was treated in cosmoline in Germany, then it has not been fired since leaving the country, indicating that all the wear would have been likely from the 1930s/early 1940s. Again, an assumption, but an interesting one.

If what appears to be rust is realy cosmoline then clean it all off and shoot some more pictures. If there is good blue and wood finish under the cosmoline, the value could increase.

Found this scope today when looking through the footlocker of original owner for additional provenance. Curious to know if this went with the rifle?

IMG_9641.jpgIMG_9644.jpg

The scope does not go with the Walther or the Mauser, it looks to be either a commercial Mauser or (members on this board can tell you) possibly a military sniper (more likely commercial rifle).

The scope does not go with the Walther or the Mauser, it looks to be either a commercial Mauser or (members on this board can tell you) possibly a military sniper (more likely commercial rifle).

The maker name on the tube in front of the ocular end
apperars to read "optikotechna"
and I believe that The scope was mfg. in Czechoslovakia

Yes, rifle is from the 1930s. The Meisterbuchse (Master's Rifle) was Walther's top-of-the-line rifle (a Champion's rifle). Looks like it's intact. The sliding rear sight assembly is often absent. Hang on to it. You might look and see if it matches the gun - it likely does. The rifle looks like it needs a good cleaning. Not sure the leather thing clamped on the barrel, but it should probably be removed as it may cause rust or loss of bluing (maybe already has). If everything matches, the bore is good and its not rusted it should be worth somewhere in the $700-$900 range. More or less depending on where you live and how it cleans up. They are really nice rifles. I would like to have one. Have passed on a couple this year.

Actually, the Meisterbüchse was not the top of the line of this model. That would have been the Meisterbüchse mit Olympia Schaft (Championship Rifle with Olympic Stock). The three varieties available are seen here in this period advertisement. Walther also produced the Meisterbüchse with a true Olympic shooter's stock the separate foregrip and adjustable butt-plate.

Attachments

• page3.jpg
    page3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 37
The Olympic stock is quite a bit more comfortable to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 29
hello all i could also use some information if anybody may have some. I have come to own a WALTHER THURINGEN WAFFENFABRIK WALTHER ZELLA-MEHLIS DEUTFCHES SPORTMODELL, KAL.22 LANG FUR BUSHSEN SN#57326 NITRO BOLT ACTION SINGLE SHOT
The stock is stamped with number 185 where the sling slides thru the stock also on the right side of the stock near the but plate is the NATZI SWASTICA AND M MARKINGS. In my research into the swastica markings this rifle was issued to the motor pool / mechanics in 1935
It is missing the insides of the bolt which I would love to get to make it operational again. If anyone knows where I might be able to aquire these items please let me know. I can post pictures if that would be helpful.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE

Military Rifle Journal
Back